WSJ: intelligence officials have never given Trump the full intelligence brief
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:25:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  WSJ: intelligence officials have never given Trump the full intelligence brief
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WSJ: intelligence officials have never given Trump the full intelligence brief  (Read 1307 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/spies-keep-intelligence-from-donald-trump-1487209351?emailToken=JRrzcPB7Z3uVg9U1ZswnzFwldewLBuKRA1LRMH3OPknDuXrerKev3aIwwtewp2qrSQNm/c0B9ytmGW2O2jI7B5LI

How can a government work like this?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 11:05:17 PM »

JFC
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 11:13:34 PM »

Trump's gotta go to war with the intelligence community. Crush them, and charge them with illegal leaking.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 11:14:43 PM »

Trump's gotta go to war with the intelligence community. Crush them, and charge them with illegal leaking.

Yeah, the spies and assassins aren't going to allow themselves to go down to a orange moron.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 11:16:54 PM »

It's one thing if they are only withholding details on intelligence-gathering methods (which are largely irrelevant to what the President needs to know), but it sounds like they could be withholding much more important things as well. This is some concerning stuff here.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 11:22:21 PM »

It's one thing if they are only withholding details on intelligence-gathering methods (which are largely irrelevant to what the President needs to know), but it sounds like they could be withholding much more important things as well. This is some concerning stuff here.

Yeah. They might not be telling him who is telling them what he is telling Putin. Treason!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 11:45:43 PM »

Who leaked that? I don't think this information being public benefits either "side" here. It's probably a good thing that they do it, but it's not a good thing for us to know they do it.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 11:46:31 PM »

Trump is shaping up to be one of the weakest presidents in modern history. Crippled by a significant popular vote loss, distrusted by the federal bureaucracy, and facing powerful opposition by large swaths of the country, and an uneasy Republican Party behind him, it will get interesting to see how this presidency plays out and how strong future (Democratic) Presidents will act to avoid his (and Obama's) fate.

A fascinating story. Wonder how much of his own government he will actually control by the end?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 01:09:54 AM »

I never thought I'd look at a presidential administration and think "well at least the CIA has some integrity."

That's not to say I'm going to hang a Pinochet poster on my bedroom wall or anything, but still...
AtorBoltox

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 01:35:37 AM »

Good. Since when are intelligence agencies expected to share information with Russian agents?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 01:40:35 AM »

I never thought I'd look at a presidential administration and think "well at least the CIA has some integrity."

That's not to say I'm going to hang a Pinochet poster on my bedroom wall or anything, but still...

In reality the CIA had virtually nothing to do with the Pinochet coup. It was planned and orchestrated  entirely by the Chilean military, and the extent of CIA involvement was probably having some knowledge that it was likely going to happen and doing nothing.

The Latin American coups that the CIA deserves far more condemnation for that don't get mentioned anywhere near as much were the ones in Guatemala and the Dominican Republic.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 01:42:49 AM »

The fall of Flynn by means of intelligence-community leaks, and the fact that elements within the Trump administration have gotten an effectively neoconservative figure like Harward to replace him, means:
1) the intelligence community has gone to war with Trump, and
2) it's winning decisively.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 01:44:07 AM »

In reality the CIA had virtually nothing to do with the Pinochet coup. It was planned and orchestrated  entirely by the Chilean military, and the extent of CIA involvement was probably having some knowledge that it was likely going to happen and doing nothing.

The Latin American coups that the CIA deserves far more condemnation for that don't get mentioned anywhere near as much were the ones in Guatemala and the Dominican Republic.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 02:02:14 AM »

The fall of Flynn by means of intelligence-community leaks, and the fact that elements within the Trump administration have gotten an effectively neoconservative figure like Harward to replace him, means:
1) the intelligence community has gone to war with Trump, and
2) it's winning decisively.

It's not even simply a war between the intelligence community and Trump, but between competing factions within the Trump Administration itself. Reportedly, Pence was not even notified about Flynn's lies to him until over a week after Trump was informed. I'm quite certain Brannon knew when it before Trump did, therefore Bannon knew before our own VP. Not only that, but Trump has chosen a friend of Brannon's to investigate the intelligence agencies. Thus far, Bannon & Co. have been the dominant faction and exerting far more influence than any other official. This should be seriously concerning for all of us.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 02:10:41 AM »

Um guys, the "intelligence community" did Trump a huge favor by getting rid of Flynn. The guy was trouble, would have inevitably melted down, and by getting him out as soon as possible and as far from any election as possible, it means he does the least possible damage to Trump. If they really wanted to hurt Trump, they would have kept him on until, oh, 11 days before the 2018 elections.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 02:17:32 AM »

Pinochet was a general and not a spy chief.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 02:20:59 AM »

Um guys, the "intelligence community" did Trump a huge favor by getting rid of Flynn. The guy was trouble, would have inevitably melted down, and by getting him out as soon as possible and as far from any election as possible, it means he does the least possible damage to Trump. If they really wanted to hurt Trump, they would have kept him on until, oh, 11 days before the 2018 elections.

They weren't trying to do Trump a favor, they were simply looking out for their self-interest. Flynn could've potentially been a danger to their personnel and their mission of serving the country. I also doubt they prefer one party over another and, if they do, their preference is likely for Republicans. The problem is solely Trump and the faction within his administration associated with Bannon.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 04:29:44 AM »

Greenwald has got it right.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/831850140940005377
politics_king
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 04:35:49 AM »

The wheels may be spinning already on a coup. I'm not kidding either, no one in government seems to completely trust the President.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 04:38:56 AM »

The wheels may be spinning already on a coup. I'm not kidding either, no one in government seems to completely trust the President.

Anyone supporting a coup against Trump is a fool.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 07:24:24 AM »

Trump is the President, not a mid-level bureaucrat. He just needs the executive summary.

Whenever you present information, you tailor your message to the audience. This is normal in any setting, whether in government or business. This has nothing to do with "protecting the country from Trump" and everything to do with allowing Trump to do his job better.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 07:39:02 AM »

Makes sense. It's the purpose of the intelligence community to protect the country from threats, both foreign and domestic. And right now there's one of these domestic threats in the White House.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 08:59:35 AM »

Why would they? His lack of trustworthiness is obvious.

I'd put my money on removal by the VP and Cabinet in another few months, rather than open coup, though.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 11:12:53 AM »

A quick call to Pompeo will end any of this nonsense, assuming it's true.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 11:20:08 AM »

They should withhold details of intelligence gathering methods from any President.  They do all kinds of illegal sh**t and Presidents need plausible deniability when questioned about any of those illegal activities should they ever publicly surface.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies