Battleground God
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:17:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Battleground God
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Battleground God  (Read 3049 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2006, 02:37:05 PM »

"You took 3 direct hits and you have bitten 1 bullet."

This test sucks. During half of the questions I was badly in need for a "I don't give a fu**!" option. Wink
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2006, 09:51:37 PM »

Pretty boring stuff. This whole using logic with morals and dieties is dubious at best, being that everyone has their own ideas. My two contradictions were both of the splitting hairs variety.

Direct Hit 1

You answered "True" to questions 10 and 14.

These answers generated the following response:

You've just taken a direct hit! Earlier you agreed that it is rational to believe that the Loch Ness monster does not exist if there is an absence of strong evidence or argument that it does. No strong evidence or argument was required to show that the monster does not exist - absence of evidence or argument was enough. But now you claim that the atheist needs to be able to provide strong arguments or evidence if their belief in the non-existence of God is to be rational rather than a matter of faith.

The contradiction is that on the first ocassion (Loch Ness monster) you agreed that the absence of evidence or argument is enough to rationally justify belief in the non-existence of the Loch Ness monster, but on this occasion (God), you do not.
[/quote]

The Loch Ness monster is a creature of unknown species living in a specific lake. We know exactly where it is provided it exists at all. If we look there and see no such monster, then we have nowhere else to look, so the monster doesn't exist. God is a different matter... We need to look everywhere to disprove God's existence, and we just can't do that.

In fact, it's even more difficult than that: The Loch Ness monster is a rather specific concept, whereas there are many different concepts of God. Whose concept do we choose?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I said it was justifiable to base one's beliefs on a firm inner conviction. It does not necessarily follow that acting on said beliefs is justifiable.

Put another way, I might have a "firm inner conviction" that everyone deserves to die. However, I would not be justified in shooting everyone I see.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2006, 07:47:55 AM »

2 direct hits and 1 bite the bullet. Very interesting test. I was going great till the last 5 questions.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies