The odds of a Trump resignation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:39:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The odds of a Trump resignation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What are the odds that Trump resigns before the year is over?
100%

75-99%

50-74%

25-49%

1-24%

0%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: The odds of a Trump resignation  (Read 3416 times)
impactreps
dcushmanjva
Rookie
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2017, 03:07:08 AM »

Given that the past month has been a very rocky start for a newly inaugurated President, and given news reports that Trump is already wary of the difficulties of being President, what are the odds that he resigns before the end of 2017?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 04:33:28 AM »

Pure fantasy.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 06:19:21 AM »

Eventually he will need to admit that he just isn't up to the job of President. He has always been slow to admit to a failure of any kind, and he has defended his moral lapses and certifiable delusions long after others would recognize a need to make changes in what they do.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 06:28:53 AM »

Just north of 50%.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 08:53:32 AM »

20-25%
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 08:58:10 AM »

0% and anyone who actually thinks Trump would ever willingly resign are delusional.
Babeuf

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 09:06:28 AM »

Somewhere between 0 and 1%.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 09:09:14 AM »

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 09:46:23 AM »

0-1% chance. North of 50% if a major scandal breaks in 2018/2019.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 10:37:13 AM »

0% and anyone who actually thinks Trump would ever willingly resign are is delusional.

Completely agree with this, except for your British speech!
elcorazon

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 10:47:35 AM »

I'd say zero based on Trump's unwillingness to admit failure, but given the scandals and his apparent unhappiness with the job, I'd vote 1-24% with the reality being closer to 1 than 24. Perhaps I'd bump it up some if you said any time during the term rather than this year, but for any investigation to get to fruition under this Republican Congress, regardless of the level of corruption, seems unlikely to occur that quickly.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 10:50:01 AM »

Predictit gives Trump a 75% chance of still being president at year's end, though that doesn't specify if he would leave the presidency by resignation, death, or impeachment.

Betfair is giving Trump a ~51% chance of staying on as president to the end of his four year term.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 10:53:02 AM »

Predictit gives Trump a 75% chance of still being president at year's end, though that doesn't specify if he would leave the presidency by resignation, death, or impeachment.

Betfair is giving Trump a ~51% chance of staying on as president to the end of his four year term.

You really need a life, Mr. Modem.  Smiley
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 11:02:54 AM »

Short of being caught in an unconstitutional or treasonous act, and being given a choice of "Resign or Be Impeached", the chances of a Trump resignation are almost negligible.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 11:05:54 AM »

Nah, I think there is a chance he will be the first president to leave simply because he is bored.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 11:08:02 AM »

I will buy it that the chaces of him staying are roughly linear over the next 8 years to about 20% at the end of year 8 and then only reaching a negligible number by 2030ish.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 12:18:26 PM »

Absolutely zilch.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 12:27:22 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 12:29:58 PM »

Actually if Trump's primary goal here is to stroke his ego and add more zeros to his bank account, then it's not that difficult to see him resigning maybe a couple years in, assuming the heat keeps getting turned up on him and things keep getting more difficult. Imagine if Democrats did somehow take back the House, and they begin relentless investigations into his administration. Might Trump, already having accrued many lucrative deals for himself, want to step down to avoid further scrutiny/headaches? It's not like he would have to admit he did anything wrong. He could simply say the Washington elite have made it impossible to Make America Great Again, or, you know, something like that. This would of course be the traditional Trump strategy - blame everyone else and take no responsibility, ever.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 12:42:12 PM »

My prediction remains that his approval ratings will bottom out at around 25% in early-mid 2018 and he'll resign after the GOP loses the House in the 2018 midterms. Until then, there will be a major scandal every 1-2 months, and at some point McConnell and Ryan will decide it isn't worth carrying water for him.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 12:47:06 PM »

Actually if Trump's primary goal here is to stroke his ego and add more zeros to his bank account, then it's not that difficult to see him resigning maybe a couple years in, assuming the heat keeps getting turned up on him and things keep getting more difficult. Imagine if Democrats did somehow take back the House, and they begin relentless investigations into his administration. Might Trump, already having accrued many lucrative deals for himself, want to step down to avoid further scrutiny/headaches? It's not like he would have to admit he did anything wrong. He could simply say the Washington elite have made it impossible to Make America Great Again, or, you know, something like that. This would of course be the traditional Trump strategy - blame everyone else and take no responsibility, ever.

But if his cult sees that he couldn't trample the Washington elite, what will they do? I thought he was the answer to their prayers?

Maybe tune out of politics and become bitter for a couple election cycles? Not sure. Morbid as it is, Trump's base skews older so it's not like it would present a long-long-term problem anyhow.

Trump hasn't always been against doing things that make him look bad so long as he doesn't have to admit he was wrong. If he can convince himself it is someone else's fault, I'm sure it becomes a lot easier for him. Plus, I might add, I feel like Trump has always wanted to be POTUS more for power and prestige, and once he finds that he has less power than he thought and far less prestige (given his negative antics), I don't see why he wouldn't want to cut it short if he already got himself paid, so to speak.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 12:53:44 PM »

But if his cult sees that he couldn't trample the Washington elite, what will they do? I thought he was the answer to their prayers?

Maybe tune out of politics and become bitter for a couple election cycles? Not sure. Morbid as it is, Trump's base skews older so it's not like it would present a long-long-term problem anyhow.

Trump hasn't always been against doing things that make him look bad so long as he doesn't have to admit he was wrong. If he can convince himself it is someone else's fault, I'm sure it becomes a lot easier for him. Plus, I might add, I feel like Trump has always wanted to be POTUS more for power and prestige, and once he finds that he has less power than he thought and far less prestige (given his negative antics), I don't see why he wouldn't want to cut it short if he already got himself paid, so to speak.

Somone should start a crowdfunding campaign to buy him out. Just a big pool of committed money that he gets after he resigns.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 01:02:11 PM »

You guys would rather have Pence?  RIP libs if that happens.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 01:28:30 PM »

It's more likely he's voted incompetent by his Cabinent than he willingly resigns.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 02:16:09 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2017, 02:52:23 PM by watermelon »

He obviously won't resign, but he's definitely not running again in 2020.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies