Do you WANT there to be an afterlife?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:37:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you WANT there to be an afterlife?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: I'm mostly asking atheists and agnostics, but religious people can answer too.
Yes, I do want there to be an afterlife

No, I'm fine with only living one life on earth

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Do you WANT there to be an afterlife?  (Read 5453 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2021, 01:42:02 PM »

Yes, especially if we all get to go to heaven, which is what I hope.  If there’s reincarnation, that’s not as good as heaven, but better than eternal unconsciousness.  However, eternal unconsciousness would be preferable to being on fire, or far worse, in hell for eternity.

It’s hard to argue against non-religious people when they ask, “how can you be so certain that your beliefs are correct?”  However, I would ask the same question to those who think they know for sure that there is no afterlife.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2021, 01:50:24 PM »

I am a little afraid of the concept of the "lights going out" and just being gone. People who've been dead for a significant amount of time and been revived have often reported a degree of consciousness similar to when you're asleep so it's possible your consciousness just continues indefinitely without a body to host it. Mind/body duality is a tricky thing.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2021, 03:11:34 PM »

Whether you want an afterlife is deeply irrelevant. This is equivalent to asking, do you want to die in New York City? Do you want to have legs? Do you want to have wings?

It is not entirely clear that a prescriptive view on the afterlife is possible and reasonably defensible, whereas a descriptive view almost assuredly is.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2021, 01:06:36 AM »

If it's a generic cartoon Abrahamic Heaven, definitely. Hellish realms and purgatories like the Asphodel Meadows obviously wouldn't be so great to spend eternity in. And if it's the Buddhist concept of suffering through reincarnations until the sweet release of obliteration, that's just regular depressing atheism with extra steps.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 12:52:06 AM »

Sure
Just the facts
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2021, 09:21:25 AM »

The afterlife sounds like a pain in the backside. Constantly fulfilling eternal life on earth, on the other hand...
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2021, 11:34:52 AM »

Whether you want an afterlife is deeply irrelevant. This is equivalent to asking, do you want to die in New York City? Do you want to have legs? Do you want to have wings?

It is not entirely clear that a prescriptive view on the afterlife is possible and reasonably defensible, whereas a descriptive view almost assuredly is.

Communication is a two-way street, you know.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2021, 09:47:40 PM »

Yes, in the sense that it seems the redemption of history would require something like that.  But when I think about eternity I tend to start to feel kind of tired and freaked out a bit.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2021, 07:04:57 AM »

Absolutely.  It would be cool to have an ultimate fate that doesn't involve you becoming worm food.

But this life is the only shot you get, kids.  
It seems to be the one that seems the most logically consistent and doesn’t require supernatural intervention. It seems to fit the “the dead don’t come back” narrative best too.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2021, 08:46:22 AM »

There maybe reincarnation but the whole purpose of Rapture is to live as living souls, the Astral plane we don't know what it is, but it's not a regular life
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2021, 12:18:43 PM »

Communication is a two-way street, you know.

It can be. But the sort of philosophical thinking which asks “Do you want X?” strikes me as, in some way, fruitless. If so, then what? If not, then what? I do not believe anything follows from this premise.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies