Super wealthy towns that heavily swung against Donald Trump (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:16:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Super wealthy towns that heavily swung against Donald Trump (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Super wealthy towns that heavily swung against Donald Trump  (Read 22608 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: February 16, 2017, 05:26:17 PM »

Yes, he was about the worst possible candidate for them.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 10:13:25 AM »

Yes, he was about the worst possible candidate for them.

True, but I think these places are trending D in the long term anyway.

I know you think that.  I know Eharding thinks that.  I struggle to see why, though.  There will ALWAYS be a high floor in these places for a Republican as long as the GOP is asking for more "pro-rich" policies than the Democrats are; do you honestly see that flipping?  Ever?  Even if you believe that the GOP is going full Trumpist in EVERY geographic area for decades (unlikely in my opinion, especially given that Trumpist GOPers tend to be older and in shrinking areas of the country, but whatever), there is at least as much evidence that the Democratic Party will continue to move to the left economically with millenials becoming more prominent in the party.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 12:07:40 PM »

I think Democrats won't move to the left economically, they're destined to become a Fairfax County-type party IMO. Not sure about the GOP, populism or Trumpism (and let's not forget that Trump has basically been governing like a generic R so far, with one or two exceptions like that stupid executive order) alone won't be a winning strategy in the long term. They'll have to combine it with something else. The party will probably be pretty fractured, not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

I'm oh-so skeptical of this.  They're far from that type of party now, and I think they're smart enough to know they'd win about 30% of the vote being such a party.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »

I think Democrats won't move to the left economically, they're destined to become a Fairfax County-type party IMO. Not sure about the GOP, populism or Trumpism (and let's not forget that Trump has basically been governing like a generic R so far, with one or two exceptions like that stupid executive order) alone won't be a winning strategy in the long term. They'll have to combine it with something else. The party will probably be pretty fractured, not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

I'm oh-so skeptical of this.  They're far from that type of party now, and I think they're smart enough to know they'd win about 30% of the vote being such a party.

Last time I checked Hillary Clinton won the PV with 48% of the vote, not 30%. Democrats will always have a floor of 46%/47% or so because of White liberals and minority voters.

Read what I wrote.  As a "Fairfax County Party," Democrats would win no more than 30% of the vote.  They're NOT one right now (not even close), despite you liking to malign them as such.  Hence, winning more than 30% of the vote.  If Democrats moved to the right on economics, turnout would drop from their base, from minorities, from WHITE LIBERALS (who are not, by any stretch of the imagination fiscally moderate, let alone conservative, even if they are affluent), etc.  The soul of that party is that Republicans are for billionaires.  That's not how they run everywhere, but it's what gets them power every.  Single.  Time.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 04:26:29 PM »

ofcourse they swung when hillary loves wallstreet

1) If you think that's some horrible thing, there's a party for you, and it ain't the GOP.

2) So does Trump and literally every politician besides a few Democrats.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 03:07:01 PM »

I must have missed all of the posts in 2012 about how wealthy towns were rapidly going to trend R after how many Romney swung from Obama ... guess people didn't want it to be true as badly.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 03:34:42 PM »

I must have missed all of the posts in 2012 about how wealthy towns were rapidly going to trend R after how many Romney swung from Obama ... guess people didn't want it to be true as badly.

-What towns? Romney didn't even win DuPage County.

Scroll up, bro.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies