Super wealthy towns that heavily swung against Donald Trump (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:37:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Super wealthy towns that heavily swung against Donald Trump (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Super wealthy towns that heavily swung against Donald Trump  (Read 22631 times)
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« on: February 16, 2017, 05:03:15 PM »

Also, Birmingham and East Grand Rapids in MI.
Eharding

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 07:41:39 PM »

Yes, he was about the worst possible candidate for them.

True, but I think these places are trending D in the long term anyway.

Depends, I think that particularly in Connecticut places like Darien and New Caanan are major commuter towns with a lot of people who work on Wall Street and they normally despise government regulation and will just vote for whichever candidate gives them a bigger tax break but Trump because of his general instability and seeming lack of concern for the health of markets was a turnoff for them. I think someone like Rubio or Kasich would have won those places which are still very conservative in attitude as much as economically, as they've been historically quite provincial. In 2020 in the event that Trump's been impeached I think they'd even swing back to Pence as the nominee. A lot of blue state Republicans even if they might be somewhat more socially liberal then the national party are able to rationalize it because they'd argue something like "even if Roe v Wade was overturned Connecticut would never criminalize abortion!" or at this point "gay marriage is a decided issue anyway!"

Generally, the financial industry strongly favors stability and predictability. Whether Clinton or Trump would be better for president or not, Clinton is without a doubt, far more predictable than Trump. Meanwhile, Romney won or did far better in these areas by being a fiscal conservative that was predictable and from there, could bring stability.

-Clinton was more predictable, but offered less stability. My guess is a whole lot of people were making basic category errors.
Eharding

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 08:54:57 PM »

Yes, he was about the worst possible candidate for them.

True, but I think these places are trending D in the long term anyway.

Depends, I think that particularly in Connecticut places like Darien and New Caanan are major commuter towns with a lot of people who work on Wall Street and they normally despise government regulation and will just vote for whichever candidate gives them a bigger tax break but Trump because of his general instability and seeming lack of concern for the health of markets was a turnoff for them. I think someone like Rubio or Kasich would have won those places which are still very conservative in attitude as much as economically, as they've been historically quite provincial. In 2020 in the event that Trump's been impeached I think they'd even swing back to Pence as the nominee. A lot of blue state Republicans even if they might be somewhat more socially liberal then the national party are able to rationalize it because they'd argue something like "even if Roe v Wade was overturned Connecticut would never criminalize abortion!" or at this point "gay marriage is a decided issue anyway!"

Generally, the financial industry strongly favors stability and predictability. Whether Clinton or Trump would be better for president or not, Clinton is without a doubt, far more predictable than Trump. Meanwhile, Romney won or did far better in these areas by being a fiscal conservative that was predictable and from there, could bring stability.

-Clinton was more predictable, but offered less stability. My guess is a whole lot of people were making basic category errors.

Hillary offered less stability? Less stability than what? The man who anger-tweets at companies that don't stock his daughter's clothing line? The man whose administration seems to have at least two or three "official" positions on everything?

-Since when have liberal justices on the Supreme Court and a Kagan-backed foreign policy offered anything but instability?
Eharding

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »

I must have missed all of the posts in 2012 about how wealthy towns were rapidly going to trend R after how many Romney swung from Obama ... guess people didn't want it to be true as badly.

-What towns? Romney didn't even win DuPage County.
Eharding

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 03:57:09 PM »

I must have missed all of the posts in 2012 about how wealthy towns were rapidly going to trend R after how many Romney swung from Obama ... guess people didn't want it to be true as badly.

-What towns? Romney didn't even win DuPage County.

Scroll up, bro.

-Fairfax? Marin? Nassau? Suffolk? Loudoun? Did Romney win any of these rich counties?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies