Canadian Census
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:58:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Canadian Census
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian Census  (Read 1173 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2017, 06:06:30 PM »

Any big news come out of this release? I imagine Toronto and Vancouver are still booming...
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 07:46:04 PM »

Any big news come out of this release? I imagine Toronto and Vancouver are still booming...

Metro Montreal has a gigantic lead on Metro Vancouver in terms of population today. Montreal is just over 4 million, and Vancouver is just under 2.5 million. Montreal will be Canada's second city for a long time to come. But, Vancouver does have a much higher yearly rate of growth, when do you think Vancouver will pass Montreal if current trends continue? 40-50 years?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:19:38 PM »

The biggest surprise in my opinion was that Manitoba has a higher growth rate than Ontario.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 01:11:20 PM »

The biggest surprise in my opinion was that Manitoba has a higher growth rate than Ontario.

Oil?
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 01:26:41 PM »

Oil?
No oil there.

Manitoba has a significantly higher birth rate than Ontario. Most recent data I got (2013) has MB at 1.91 and ON at 1.51.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 02:02:34 PM »

Oil?

If it was oil, it wouldn't be surprising.

Oil?
No oil there.

Manitoba has a significantly higher birth rate than Ontario. Most recent data I got (2013) has MB at 1.91 and ON at 1.51.

That might be it. Maybe higher Aboriginal, Filipino and Mennonite populations have something to do with this?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 02:59:25 PM »

I mean, Ontario has a lot of declining "Rust Belt"-type areas, doesn't it? While Manitoba doesn't? Toronto is growing quickly but I thought is mostly doing so by sucking all of the people from the rest of province in so doesn't contribute much to net provincial growth.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 03:40:09 PM »

I mean, Ontario has a lot of declining "Rust Belt"-type areas, doesn't it? While Manitoba doesn't? Toronto is growing quickly but I thought is mostly doing so by sucking all of the people from the rest of province in so doesn't contribute much to net provincial growth.

Well, SW Ontario and the North are declining, but the rest of the provinces is growing.. slowly. Another surprise in the census was how some older suburbs were declining in population (like Markham-Thornhill).
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 03:53:12 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2017, 03:55:12 PM by King of Kensington »

The Markham side of Thornhill developed quite a bit earlier than the Vaughan side.  Markham side is more 1960s/1970s era suburbia and is very much an extension of the Bayview/Leslie corridor in North York in urban form as it developed pretty much right after.  In contrast Vaughan was pretty much undeveloped before 1980.  
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 05:10:16 PM »

Oil?

Oil?
No oil there.

That might be it. Maybe higher Aboriginal, Filipino and Mennonite populations have something to do with this?

You might be onto something there. I did a quick skim of census growth in Manitoba by riding. Provencher was one of the fastest growing ridings.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 06:28:03 PM »

Oil?

Oil?
No oil there.

You might be onto something there. I did a quick skim of census growth in Manitoba by riding. Provencher was one of the fastest growing ridings.

Yeah, and I noticed Steinbach saw a large population growth.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 08:34:08 PM »

I'm not sure whether it's really that much of a surprise, but the Calgary CMA passed the Ottawa-Gatineau CMA to become the fourth largest metro area in Canada... and the Edmonton CMA is nipping at Ottawa's heels at number 6, just 2,357 residents behind Ottawa. 

The Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo CMA's population topped 500,000 for the first time (?) in 10th place.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies