Is there anyone besides Trump who could SYMBOLICALLY appeal to WWC?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:39:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Is there anyone besides Trump who could SYMBOLICALLY appeal to WWC?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Is there anyone besides Trump who could SYMBOLICALLY appeal to WWC?  (Read 3924 times)
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2017, 06:28:16 PM »

Apologies for derailing the thread further, but I want to point out that both bronz and Irritable Moderate are from New Jersey.

As a New Jerseyan myself, I personally plenty of "moderates" - people who are socially liberal but fiscally conservative, i.e. your typical wine-track Democrats. Just today one of my usually-liberal friends liked a local Republican candidate's page!

I hypothesize that the prevalence of "moderates" (of both types) has to do with the social contradiction of New Jersey being Democratic while rich.
I mean our state voted Republican non-stop from 1968 to 1992, so that comes to say something.

On topic (sorry), I don't think there's a way to appeal to the stereotypical WWC that switched from Democrat to republican without adopting some pretty unpleasant views. (Eg reversing on gay marriage,  mass deportations)

ETA: plus they'd have to go against welfare, killing it. Remember that the kinds of Democrats that win the WWC are people like Justice, Manchin, and Bill Clinton.
Trump didn't appeal to the WWC using that at all...

Mass deportation was literally one of the only consistent policies trump had.
Mass deportations? You mean enforcing the law? In fact, we're only deporting illegals who have committed crimes aside from illegal immigration; I wouldn't call that mass deportations.

There goes the far-left making a mountain out of a molehill.

that's BS. The current administration is deporting anyone it can. Even before, ICE would happily kidnap anyone they caught without citizenship papers, they just had to prioritize those who had committed a crime. This isn't nothing.
Source, please?

(TYT, HuffPost, Occupy Democrats, and others are not accurate in any sense)

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ice-deport-trump-20170517-story.html
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/21/politics/dhs-immigration-guidance-detentions/index.html
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-deportation-force-20170412-story.html

The kind of source you would like
http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/03/17/revealed-how-trump-will-speed-up-deportation-of-criminal-illegal-aliens/

Also, I like how you demand sources when you haven't given any.
That's because I didn't make any baseless claims.

Oh, also, nice job trying to imply I'm conservative. Look at my political matrix score, asshat.

Now then, moving on from your immature and petty attitude, let's talk about these sources, which I thank you for providing.

I read through them, and I still fail to see the problem. They broke the law; there are consequences for illegal actions. If it were up to me, everyone who broke our immigration laws would face the consequences. Just like how a murderer should face the consequences of their crime. It's pure justice.

I could make my PM score +10, +10, but I'd still be a liberal.

Your claim that only people with criminal records were being deported isn't self evident.

The legal code of the United States isn't a moral justification for anything.

A liberal who supports enforcing immigration laws - heck, even one that is downright intolerant of all immigrants, legal or not - is not a conservative.

Because you're clearly a glowing example of a conservative. Roll Eyes

None of his political positions fit a self-described "social liberal, and economic moderate".Do you have some sort of bone to pick with me? Is my suggestion that a person who talks like a conservative republican about immigration isn't a social liberal offensive to your "republicans are and will always be about reaganism" crusade?
So me being right-wing on one issue means all my beliefs are conservative?

Strange.

You talk like a bronz esque social right winger in general, and I haven't seen you say anything liberal. Give a quote of you expressing liberal ideas in the past.
Give me quotes of me expressing conservative ideas outside of immigration. Voting for Donald Trump, a moderate Republican, does not make me a conservative at all. After Rudy Giuliani dropped out, I supported Hillary Clinton's candidacy in 2008, but reluctantly went for John McCain after she lost. Yes, I did support Mitt Romney in 2012, but his social conservatism became more and more revolting, so I switched my endorsement to Gary Johnson. This past election, I supported both Jim Webb and Rand Paul, however both of them lost and I did not like Cruz, Sanders, or Clinton at all.

If trump's a moderate I'm a papaya. I don't think I can give you quotes of you talking about other issues at all.
So why did you make a false claim saying that "[I talk] like a conservative republican"?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2017, 02:55:19 AM »

Any "symbolically WWC" candidate would have to disavow BLM etc., which would be a killer in the Democratic primary. So no, not in 2020.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2017, 12:58:52 PM »

Any "symbolically WWC" candidate would have to disavow BLM etc., which would be a killer in the Democratic primary. So no, not in 2020.

BLM may not even be an issue by 2020. The protests and viral videos have gone suddenly got very, very quiet after Trump won. And no, even Rand Paul doesn't disavow them, so why should a Democrat?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2017, 01:25:47 PM »

Apologies for derailing the thread further, but I want to point out that both bronz and Irritable Moderate are from New Jersey.

As a New Jerseyan myself, I personally plenty of "moderates" - people who are socially liberal but fiscally conservative, i.e. your typical wine-track Democrats. Just today one of my usually-liberal friends liked a local Republican candidate's page!

I hypothesize that the prevalence of "moderates" (of both types) has to do with the social contradiction of New Jersey being Democratic while rich.
I mean our state voted Republican non-stop from 1968 to 1992, so that comes to say something.

On topic (sorry), I don't think there's a way to appeal to the stereotypical WWC that switched from Democrat to republican without adopting some pretty unpleasant views. (Eg reversing on gay marriage,  mass deportations)

ETA: plus they'd have to go against welfare, killing it. Remember that the kinds of Democrats that win the WWC are people like Justice, Manchin, and Bill Clinton.

Mass deportations? You mean enforcing the law? In fact, we're only deporting illegals who have committed crimes aside from illegal immigration; I wouldn't call that mass deportations.

that's BS. The current administration is deporting anyone it can. Even before, ICE would happily kidnap anyone they caught without citizenship papers, they just had to prioritize those who had committed a crime. This isn't nothing.
Source, please?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/21/politics/dhs-immigration-guidance-detentions/index.html
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-deportation-force-20170412-story.html

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/03/17/revealed-how-trump-will-speed-up-deportation-of-criminal-illegal-aliens/

Oh, also, nice job trying to imply I'm conservative. Look at my political matrix score, asshat.

Now then, moving on from your immature and petty attitude, let's talk about these sources, which I thank you for providing.

I read through them, and I still fail to see the problem. They broke the law; there are consequences for illegal actions. If it were up to me, everyone who broke our immigration laws would face the consequences. Just like how a murderer should face the consequences of their crime. It's pure justice.

Your claim that only people with criminal records were being deported isn't self evident.

A liberal who supports enforcing immigration laws - heck, even one that is downright intolerant of all immigrants, legal or not - is not a conservative.

None of his political positions fit a self-described "social liberal, and economic moderate".Do you have some sort of bone to pick with me? Is my suggestion that a person who talks like a conservative republican about immigration isn't a social liberal offensive to your "republicans are and will always be about reaganism" crusade?

Strange.

You talk like a bronz esque social right winger in general, and I haven't seen you say anything liberal. Give a quote of you expressing liberal ideas in the past.
Give me quotes of me expressing conservative ideas outside of immigration. Voting for Donald Trump, a moderate Republican, does not make me a conservative at all. After Rudy Giuliani dropped out, I supported Hillary Clinton's candidacy in 2008, but reluctantly went for John McCain after she lost. Yes, I did support Mitt Romney in 2012, but his social conservatism became more and more revolting, so I switched my endorsement to Gary Johnson. This past election, I supported both Jim Webb and Rand Paul, however both of them lost and I did not like Cruz, Sanders, or Clinton at all.

If trump's a moderate I'm a papaya. I don't think I can give you quotes of you talking about other issues at all.
So why did you make a false claim saying that "[I talk] like a conservative republican"?

Because thats how you talk about immigration, like a bronz esque right winger. Its about more then a checklist of positions. Its about mentality. You clearly think about the issues in a Bill Clinton conservative kind of way.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2017, 02:25:57 PM »

Source, please?

Strange.

Because thats how you talk about immigration, like a bronz esque right winger. Its about more then a checklist of positions. Its about mentality. You clearly think about the issues in a Bill Clinton conservative kind of way.
So one issue makes me a conservative thinker?

S t r a n g e.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2017, 06:27:22 PM »

S t r a n g e.

Whoosh.

You do not hold a liberal view of the world. The way you explain and justify your position on immigration is simply evidence of that. One can get a pretty decent understanding of people by seeing them talk about something. Shockingly, peoples philosophies show through in more  ways then just which bubble they put on a set of issues. There are more types of "conservative" then just Romney/Pence. Right wing beliefs are ultimately about regression, tribalism, "Good" g,roups and "Bad" groups, an ingrained belief in a specific order of the world being the way things should be, respect for things one considers traditional institutions and traditional hierarchies, etc. I can bet you quite dislike Black Lives Matter, I can bet you aren't a modern feminist, I can bet you don't care much about helping people in the LGBTQ+ community(unless you have gay or trans family members, in which case you would), I can bet you liked Brexit, I wouldn't be surprised if you would have voted for Marine Le Pen in the french election, I can bet you have some Islamophobic views(eg supporting a muslim ban), I can bet that you aren't super into criminal justice reform, I can bet that you have some pretty unfortunate views on the subject of consent("Come on, they're just horsing around. Boys will be boys"), etc.

Or maybe I'm misreading and you're some R-MI avatar putting on a mask or something.

Let me know how I did.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2017, 12:08:41 PM »

S t r a n g e.

Whoosh.

You do not hold a liberal view of the world. The way you explain and justify your position on immigration is simply evidence of that. One can get a pretty decent understanding of people by seeing them talk about something. Shockingly, peoples philosophies show through in more  ways then just which bubble they put on a set of issues. There are more types of "conservative" then just Romney/Pence. Right wing beliefs are ultimately about regression, tribalism, "Good" g,roups and "Bad" groups, an ingrained belief in a specific order of the world being the way things should be, respect for things one considers traditional institutions and traditional hierarchies, etc.
Again, one issue doesn't necessarily determine my beliefs. I'm not sure how I am a "tribalistic" person, but let me break apart your rant.

I can bet you quite dislike Black Lives Matter,
I was a supporter when it first came to fruition as I was repulsed by Michael Brown's murder and the officer's subsequent acquittal, however it eventually just became more and more vitriolic. It hit my breaking point in late 2015 when a lot of its supporters were complaining that more people were focusing on the Paris shooting than what happened Missouri. That's when I decided that the movement was now a parade of attention whores.

I can bet you aren't a modern feminist
I support equal pay, harsher sentencing for rapists, among other things. However, just like BLM, it became a parade of attention whores with stuff like "manspreading" and "stare rape" becoming oppression. That and they made white males (like myself) the whipping post for all their problems, which made me feel alienated from the movement.

I can bet you don't care much about helping people in the LGBTQ+ community(unless you have gay or trans family members, in which case you would)
Actually I do care very much about the LGBTQ+ community. I think one of the things that makes me somewhat wary of Trump is that he chose Mike Pence, a very homophobic politician, to become his #2. There needs to be more protection for the LGBTQ+ community, and I think that's where the GOP and Trump's administration has fallen short.

Correct.

I wouldn't be surprised if you would have voted for Marine Le Pen in the french election
I mean I don't like Macron very much due to his career as a banker, so really in France it would be picking my poison.

I can bet you have some Islamophobic views(eg supporting a muslim ban)
Not really, even though one of my earliest memories was 9/11. I dated a Muslim girl for quite some time, actually.

I can bet that you aren't super into criminal justice reform
Wrong.

I can bet that you have some pretty unfortunate views on the subject of consent("Come on, they're just horsing around. Boys will be boys"), etc.
That was one low, baseless claim. Someone very close to me was subject to sexual assault, and I've taken time to care for her and to make sure she's well. You oughta be ashamed of yourself for making such a low comment.

Or maybe I'm misreading and you're some R-MI avatar putting on a mask or something.
Wrong.

F-, see me after class
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2017, 06:45:24 PM »

You literally dislike a politician because he worked as a banker?...  Jesus Christ, you at least checked one completely thoughtless, liberal cliche box on your list.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2017, 08:09:19 PM »

You literally dislike a politician because he worked as a banker?...  Jesus Christ, you at least checked one completely thoughtless, liberal cliche box on your list.
You could be a bit less rude, you know.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2017, 11:52:04 AM »

S t r a n g e.

Whoosh.

You do not hold a liberal view of the world. The way you explain and justify your position on immigration is simply evidence of that. One can get a pretty decent understanding of people by seeing them talk about something. Shockingly, peoples philosophies show through in more  ways then just which bubble they put on a set of issues. There are more types of "conservative" then just Romney/Pence. Right wing beliefs are ultimately about regression, tribalism, "Good" g,roups and "Bad" groups, an ingrained belief in a specific order of the world being the way things should be, respect for things one considers traditional institutions and traditional hierarchies, etc.
Again, one issue doesn't necessarily determine my beliefs. I'm not sure how I am a "tribalistic" person, but let me break apart your rant.

I was a supporter when it first came to fruition as I was repulsed by Michael Brown's murder and the officer's subsequent acquittal, however it eventually just became more and more vitriolic. It hit my breaking point in late 2015 when a lot of its supporters were complaining that more people were focusing on the Paris shooting than what happened Missouri. That's when I decided that the movement was now a parade of attention whores.

I support equal pay, harsher sentencing for rapists, among other things. However, just like BLM, it became a parade of attention whores with stuff like "manspreading" and "stare rape" becoming oppression. That and they made white males (like myself) the whipping post for all their problems, which made me feel alienated from the movement.

I can bet you don't care much about helping people in the LGBTQ+ community(unless you have gay or trans family members, in which case you would)
Actually I do care very much about the LGBTQ+ community. I think one of the things that makes me somewhat wary of Trump is that he chose Mike Pence, a very homophobic politician, to become his #2. There needs to be more protection for the LGBTQ+ community, and I think that's where the GOP and Trump's administration has fallen short.

Correct.

I wouldn't be surprised if you would have voted for Marine Le Pen in the french election
I mean I don't like Macron very much due to his career as a banker, so really in France it would be picking my poison.

Not really, even though one of my earliest memories was 9/11. I dated a Muslim girl for quite some time, actually.

Wrong.

I can bet that you have some pretty unfortunate views on the subject of consent("Come on, they're just horsing around. Boys will be boys"), etc.
That was one low, baseless claim. Someone very close to me was subject to sexual assault, and I've taken time to care for her and to make sure she's well. You oughta be ashamed of yourself for making such a low comment.

Wrong.

F-, see me after class

So you believe all these culturally liberal (kind of) things and yet you support trump? What about all the sexual harrassment he's done? What about the blatant race-baiting? What about the horribe islamophobia? You really don't seem like someone telling the truth about what you believe.

You literally dislike a politician because he worked as a banker?...  Jesus Christ, you at least checked one completely thoughtless, liberal populist cliche box on your list.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2017, 10:49:34 PM »

S t r a n g e.

Whoosh.

Correct.

Wrong.

Wrong.

F-, see me after class

So you believe all these culturally liberal (kind of) things and yet you support trump? What about all the sexual harrassment he's done? What about the blatant race-baiting? What about the horribe islamophobia? You really don't seem like someone telling the truth about what you believe.

You keep implying that a liar, and it's not working very well.

NO I'm really a freedom luvin' gun toatin' Confederate flag wavin' Mexican Muslim Queer hatin' hardcore conservative! You got me libtard!

*heavy sarcasm*

Seriously, I'm not lying. I am center-left; moderate liberal. I'm not a member of either party, and I've endorsed Democrats and Republicans throughout my life.

I'd love the DNC to put up a rational Democrat come 2020, like Mark Warner or Andrew Cuomo, but they won't. They'll probably put Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren or some other nut-job that will either force me to vote for Trump again or 3rd party.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2017, 09:31:56 AM »

S t r a n g e.

Whoosh.

Correct.

Wrong.

Wrong.

F-, see me after class

You literally dislike a politician because he worked as a banker?...  Jesus Christ, you at least checked one completely thoughtless, liberal populist cliche box on your list.

You don't fit in any better with your party than I do, probably much worse.  I typed liberal because I meant liberal.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2017, 12:47:22 PM »

NO I'm really a freedom luvin' gun toatin' Confederate flag wavin' Mexican Muslim Queer hatin' hardcore conservative! You got me libtard!

*heavy sarcasm*

Seriously, I'm not lying. I am center-left; moderate liberal. I'm not a member of either party, and I've endorsed Democrats and Republicans throughout my life.

I'd love the DNC to put up a rational Democrat come 2020, like Mark Warner or Andrew Cuomo, but they won't. They'll probably put Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren or some other nut-job that will either force me to vote for Trump again or 3rd party.

You dodged the question. What reasons do you, a supposed center leftist, have to like trump? Something about the way you talk sets off flags of fake. Almost like a sock trying to mask its ideology...

You don't fit in any better with your party than I do, probably much worse.  I typed liberal because I meant liberal.

Are you seriously suggesting I fit better in the Republican party then the Democratic party?
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »

*heavy sarcasm*

You dodged the question. What reasons do you, a supposed center leftist, have to like trump? Something about the way you talk sets off flags of fake. Almost like a sock trying to mask its ideology...

Are you seriously suggesting I fit better in the Republican party then the Democratic party?
I mean I'm from New Jersey; we talk very different from you Arizonans.

I supported Trump for his policies on infrastructure and that he wasn't Hillary Clinton. Along with that, I was repulsed by how Hillary surrounded herself with Hollywood celebrities, who act like they know the common man. Hillary was also very passively racist, mostly to African-Americans (ala "hot sauce!" and having a rap concert/rally with Jay Z in Cleveland)

But boy, you are one paranoid person.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2017, 10:00:37 PM »

Skarlet, why singly out R-MI?
SCNCmod

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2017, 02:58:23 AM »

Biden, Sherrod Brown, maybe Claire McCaskill?, Martin Heinrich (if he were a bit more outgoing)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »

*heavy sarcasm*

Not at all.  I'm suggesting that if you think your outlook that you have displayed on this site, your utter distaste for "populism," etc. isn't SERIOUSLY at odds with most in your party, you're delusional.  AKA, a sarcastic "DINO" addition to your username would be appropriate.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2017, 12:15:13 PM »

IMO this is what a Democratic candidate needs if he or she wants to win back at least a good portion of the "WWC" voters that they have lost in recent years:

- A genuinely credible and believable proposal(s) for creating decent-paying (at the very least) jobs for Americans without college degrees)

- A renewed focus on creating stable, two-parent families that can raise children and give them a good quality of life

- A sincere respect (which doesn't have to be agreement, I must stress) for religion - in this context, conservative Protestants and Catholics most notably

- A plausible and persuasive policy solution/proposal for revitalizing rural working-class communities that doesn't involve gentrification by rich urban transplants who think rural areas are their playground

- A policy on immigration that stresses the commonality of the aspirations, hopes, and values of immigrants with those of native-born Americans while crucially, also stresses the need for all people -citizens and immigrants alike - to respect the rule of law

- A better, more believable communication of the party's respect for law enforcement in general, as well as the military

- A sincere acknowledgement of the frustrations and confusion that so many people have toward the "SJW" and university crowd (which includes academics and students alike)

- A real effort from the candidate to distance him or herself - and the Democratic Party in general - from Hollywood, Wall Street, the "mainstream media", and the DC Beltway

- A sincere, believable effort to listen to and understand the concerns - even fears - of the many working class Americans (of all races  - not just whites) regarding globalization in general, and all of its real or potential negative consequences for working class people and their communities.

- A strict avoidance of any hint of condescension or dismissive elitism from the candidate and his or her surrogates (i.e. no "deplorable" comments).

If a Democratic presidential candidate/nominee does even half of these things, and does them well and consistently, I'm absolutely convinced that they will regain a lot of these voters.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies