scandals for each of the prospective 2020 Democratic presidential candidates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:57:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  scandals for each of the prospective 2020 Democratic presidential candidates
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: scandals for each of the prospective 2020 Democratic presidential candidates  (Read 3734 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2017, 08:42:31 PM »

What is the most significant scandal from the past of each of the likely 2020 Democratic presidential candidates?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:06:25 PM »

Assuming none of these do something crazy in the next four years

Kamala Harris: Mnuchenghazi

Corey Booker: Bain Capitalghazi

Bernie Sanders: Electricityghazi

Joe Biden: Busing-ghazi

Liz Warren: Pochantasghazi

Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 09:07:45 PM »

There is this thing about illegal foreclosures and the banks that Kamala Harris failed to prosecute in California. Could be extremely damaging.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 09:18:59 PM »

It's only rumors but Steve Bullock is accused of cheating on his wife with possibly his Lt Gov. and taking her to see a Paul McCartney on tax payer money
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 09:46:30 PM »

On Warren, aside from the Native American thing, the other thing that conservative media outlets have devoted some coverage to is the line of credit on her home that she didn’t put on financial disclosure forms:

http://freebeacon.com/politics/time-elizabeth-warren-used-loophole-avoid-disclosing-line-credit/

Seems like a pretty trivial thing when you read the details, but they accuse her of hypocrisy for attacking Cabinet nominees on their own financial disclosures.

On Booker, there was Watershed investigation from when he was mayor of Newark.  Then there was also the controversy over the money he was paid by his former law firm while he was mayor.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 11:17:59 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2017, 11:20:18 PM by henster »

Harris:  not seeking the death penalty for a cop killer when she a DA, and the Mnunchin  stuff. Being a DA/AG I'm sure oppo researchers will dig up some cases where she was lenient on some criminal and take it out of context.

Booker: you can be sure there is something shady going on in NJ. One thing that comes to mind is Zuckerberg's $100M donation to Newark schools that seems to have been misused. And crime rates when he was Mayor.

Warren: Indian heritage.

Sherrod Brown: abuse claim from ex wife

Gillibrand: lawyer for big tobacco, flip flop (blue dog to bold progressive), MattressGirl

Franken: some non PC jokes from years ago about women, handicap etc. but in Trump era means little.

Klobuchar: like Harris as former prosecutor some case will be warped by the GOP.  

Franken, Gillibrand, & Klobuchar seem to be 'cleanest' potential candidates in term of vices.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 11:22:09 PM »

Harris:  not seeking the death penalty for a cop killer when she a DA, and the Mnunchin  stuff. Being a DA/AG I'm sure oppo researchers will dig up some cases where she was lenient on some criminal and take it out of context.

Booker: you can be sure there is something shady going on in NJ. One thing that comes to mind is Zuckerberg's $100M donation to Newark schools that seems to have been misused. And crime rates when he was Mayor.

Warren: Indian heritage.

Sherrod Brown: abuse claim from ex wife

Gillibrand: lawyer for big tobacco, flip flop (blue dog to bold progressive), MattressGirl

Franken: some non PC jokes from years ago about women, handicap etc. but in Trump era means little.

Klobuchar: like Harris as former prosecutor some case will be warped by the GOP.  

Franken, Gillibrand, & Klobuchar seem to be 'cleanest' potential candidates in term of vices.
Who has since recanted. And actively campaigns for him. I saw her at a fundraiser last year. His Senate opponent in 2012 tried to use it and got blasted by the ex.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 11:01:29 PM »

Breitbart and other conservative media outlets are currently hyping this story about an Indian athlete who got visa help from Gillibrand and Schumer, and is now charged with "first-degree sexual abuse", among other crimes.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 11:10:47 PM »

Kamala Harris used to date former San Francisco Mayor and former California Assembly Speaker Willie Brown in the early 2000s.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-senate-harris-milestones-20160706-snap-htmlstory.html
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 12:35:00 AM »

Breitbart and other conservative media outlets are currently hyping this story about an Indian athlete who got visa help from Gillibrand and Schumer, and is now charged with "first-degree sexual abuse", among other crimes.

Well Chuck is never running for president but I don't think a Willie Horton attack using this can work in 2020
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 01:35:28 AM »

With Warren, there was some perceived hypocrisy regarding foreclosed homes, I believe?
Rjjr77
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 02:27:58 AM »

Harris' statement about charging parents of truants with a crime is the type of thing that can be damaging in a campaign. All the major candidates have a thing here and there, some more serious than others
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »

Here's a 2013 New York Post story on Cory Booker's tall tales (including the infamous "T-Bone"):

http://nypost.com/2013/09/21/a-big-act-newark-mayors-urban-tall-tales/

Yes, it's the New York Post, but this is the kind of thing that we'll probably be hearing again during the presidential campaign.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »

Cory Booker is a gay
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »

Sanders: Dies, is resurrected by doctors in India, is found to have had his resurrection funded by the BJP
Gabbard: Found to have organized Bernie's resurrection scam with BJP
Booker: Denied Bernie necessary medication to prevent his death from being imported from Canada
Warren: Lies about being Indian to get expedited visa to go to Sanders's resurrection and replace his brain with an abnormal one.
Gillibrand: Discovered to be Hillary Clinton in an elaborate disguise
Kanye: Discovered to be Kanye West, not in disguise.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 02:56:21 PM »

Sanders: Dies, is resurrected by doctors in India, is found to have had his resurrection funded by the BJP
Gabbard: Found to have organized Bernie's resurrection scam with BJP
Booker: Denied Bernie necessary medication to prevent his death from being imported from Canada
Warren: Lies about being Indian to get expedited visa to go to Sanders's resurrection and replace his brain with an abnormal one.
Gillibrand: Discovered to be Hillary Clinton in an elaborate disguise
Kanye: Discovered to be Kanye West, not in disguise.

I just died XD
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 08:35:01 PM »

What's Electricityghazi? I thought I knew about all the Sanders scandals but I wasn't aware of that one, or maybe I forgot.
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 09:55:32 PM »

What's Electricityghazi? I thought I knew about all the Sanders scandals but I wasn't aware of that one, or maybe I forgot.
It probably refers to when he was poor and stole electricity from his neighbors with extension cords.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 10:19:51 PM »

It probably refers to when he was poor and stole electricity from his neighbors with extension cords.

Oh, right. I forgot that one.
Ridge
Rookie
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 04:01:17 PM »

Cory Booker: Sex scandal, prolly towards the end of the primaries.

Kam Harris: Questionable ties to some Communist group here or there that comes out in early November or so.

Elizabeth Warren: A massive money laundering scandal.

Mark Cuban: Questionable business practices.

Joe Biden: Rape/child mollest allegations.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 01:23:27 PM »

Cuomo making some serious bank on a book he wrote that only sold 3200 copies:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/18/cuomos-income-jumps-renewed-book-royalty-payments/
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 02:10:09 PM »

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious at this point. Would he benefit from coming out though, or is America not ready yet for a gay president?

If America was ready for an admitted sexual assaulter President, they're ready for any type of President.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 02:24:31 PM »

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious at this point. Would he benefit from coming out though, or is America not ready yet for a gay president?

If America was ready for an admitted sexual assaulter President, they're ready for any type of President.
The fact that Cory Booker isn't out makes me suspect he isn't gay. Coming out is something that the majority of Americans celebrate now. It makes no sense for him to avoid it.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 09:24:46 PM »

The fact that Cory Booker isn't out makes me suspect he isn't gay. Coming out is something that the majority of Americans celebrate now. It makes no sense for him to avoid it.
Not to mention he's from a solid blue state and him coming out would increase his national profile and improve his approval ratings among Democrats. But if he is solely motivated by the Presidency then he may be afraid the country isn't ready for a gay president.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 09:51:03 PM »

Not to mention he's from a solid blue state and him coming out would increase his national profile and improve his approval ratings among Democrats. But if he is solely motivated by the Presidency then he may be afraid the country isn't ready for a gay president.
I honestly don't think it would be a big deal nowadays. I mean yes maybe in places like Mississippi and Oklahoma, but hell, even in Kentucky, Rand Paul's gay city boy opponent at least won Elliott County, running 31 points ahead of Hillary there!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies