Interesting Article on Mark Sanford- If all h#ll broke loose- He could
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:28:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Interesting Article on Mark Sanford- If all h#ll broke loose- He could
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting Article on Mark Sanford- If all h#ll broke loose- He could  (Read 1569 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2017, 06:35:19 AM »
« edited: February 17, 2017, 06:40:38 AM by SCNCmod »

Primary challenge Trump in 2020!  ..(although Sanford is far to political savvy to waste efforts on such).  But if he runs for Governor in 2018 against McMasters- maybe under the right setting- He could  be in a position in the future to at least run for President in the Primary?

I actually think Sanford would beat McMasters if he primaried him for governor in 2018.   Sanford has never lost an election... and McMasters (now Gov of SC due to Haley leaving)... is not seen has very bright.  *** The only foil would be- starting in 2018, SC Gov candidates pick a running mate (rather than separate elections)... and a name at least mentioned for McMasters to choose to run with---> Jenny Sanford (Mark's Ex wife)!

But at any rate... the politico article on Mark Sanford is definitely worth read, on several levels (both for those familiar with sanford & SC politics... but also for those who are not and want a bit of the backstory regarding Sanford):

....putting the Argentine episode/ affair aside- there is actually a lot to respect about Sanford regardless of ones party politics.

Politico Article:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/mark-sanford-profile-214791
Rjjr77
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 07:42:18 AM »

Mark Sanford would have been the GOP front runner in 2012, I doubt he wins a statewide again, you can fly under the radar after a sex scandal, but you rarely can leap to higher office.
SCNCmod

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 11:42:56 AM »

Mark Sanford would have been the GOP front runner in 2012, I doubt he wins a statewide again, you can fly under the radar after a sex scandal, but you rarely can leap to higher office.

He's currently the US Congressman for Charleston... And although I seriously doubt he could ever do anything on the national level... If he challenged Henry McMaster for Governor in 2018... I would definitely put my money on Sanford (Sanford has much higher name ID than McMaster... and ppl in SC now that Sanford is very smart regarding policy & that he is an ULTRA penny pincher with state funds and state budget.... On the other hand- those that actually do know (newly) Gov McMaster... take it for granted that he isn't all that bright... certainly not a policy wonk or a budget hawk. 

Also Sanford is really strong in his district (charleston) ... which is a big help in a SC primary b/c Charleston is one of the less conservative parts of the state & a lot of Dems/ Moderates will vote for Sanford simply b/c he is so familiar to them.

I doubt he runs a primary challenge- but if he does I think he's def the favorite going in.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 12:11:40 PM »

two of our last four presidents (Trump an Clinton) have been accused of sexual assault. I don't think Sanford's indiscretions are disqualifying to the electorate
Rjjr77
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 12:29:22 PM »

two of our last four presidents (Trump an Clinton) have been accused of sexual assault. I don't think Sanford's indiscretions are disqualifying to the electorate
Admitted messy public affairs are not the same as accusations. Throw in the 911 stalking stuff and it's definitely a disqualifer.

Sanford can, and will, most likely continue to be popular and win his district, for as long as he wants to, he isn't going back and running for SC governor and walking out With the mansion.
SCNCmod

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 03:38:15 PM »

Admitted messy public affairs are not the same as accusations. Throw in the 911 stalking stuff and it's definitely a disqualifer.

Sanford can, and will, most likely continue to be popular and win his district, for as long as he wants to, he isn't going back and running for SC governor and walking out With the mansion.

I don't think he will run either... But if he did Primary McMasters- Who do you think would win the Primary? .....(I would think just off of the overwhelming disparity in intelligence between the two... Sanford would win. Not to mention Sanford has much higher name ID)
Rjjr77
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 04:23:14 PM »

I don't think he will run either... But if he did Primary McMasters- Who do you think would win the Primary? .....(I would think just off of the overwhelming disparity in intelligence between the two... Sanford would win. Not to mention Sanford has much higher name ID)

I don't think he would beat McMaster in the primary, name ID is important but it isn't positive name ID
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 04:30:18 PM »

I would love this. I was a big fan of Sanford pre-sex scandal, and since his return to the House he's utterly built his reputation back up in my mind. I really don't see how the scandal is remotely disqualifying in the Age of Trump, and policy-wise he would be fantastic. I would vote for Sanford enthusiastically.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 04:36:51 PM »

It's worth noting that Sanford is one of the few members of Congress to go #NeverTrump who then backtracked and endorsed him:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=230807.msg5217939#msg5217939
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 09:41:03 PM »

I like Mark Sanford. He would do well in a 2020 Republican primary challenge. He'd win a couple of Western states, but what about S.C.? It's possible.
SCNCmod

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 01:48:10 PM »

I like Mark Sanford. He would do well in a 2020 Republican primary challenge. He'd win a couple of Western states, but what about S.C.? It's possible.

I don't think he would win SC in a Presidential Republican Primary Challenge...

But I absolutely think Sanford would be the favorite in a SC Gubernatorial Primary Challenge against McMasters in 2018.  McMasters is only Governor now, b/c Nikki Haley got appointed to the UN.

McMaster ran for Governor in 2010 when Haley was 1st elected ... and only got 16% of the vote in the Primary.  People in SC have moved past Sanford's Affair scandal- and still respect him for his policy chops and intelligence ... Vs a complete lack of perceived intelligence for McMasters (in the end- ppl would choose who they think is more competent to run the state- which is overwhelmingly Sanford.)

2010 Republican Gubernatorial Primary:
Nikki Haley... 49%,
Gresham Barrett.. 22%
Henry McMaster... 16%
Andre Bauer... 12%
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 05:11:11 PM »

Latest development re: Sanford's newfound Trump antagonism: Sanford and Walter Jones both signed a letter authored by House Dems that urges the relevant Congressional committees to subpoena Trump's tax returns:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/two-house-republicans-join-dems-and-demand-trumps-taxes.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Meanwhile, this guy wants Sanford to run for the 2020 Libertarian nomination for president:

https://beinglibertarian.com/next-step-liberty-mark-sanford-2020/
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 12:21:24 PM »

I would love this. I was a big fan of Sanford pre-sex scandal, and since his return to the House he's utterly built his reputation back up in my mind. I really don't see how the scandal is remotely disqualifying in the Age of Trump, and policy-wise he would be fantastic. I would vote for Sanford enthusiastically.

I agree with this assessment of Sanford's electability.  On the other hand, Trump carried SC and McMaster, IIRC, wasn't so dumb as to endorse Trump.  He'll be the incumbent Governor in 2018, so I view him as someone who will be a tough incumbent to beat.

On the other hand, I can see Sanford taking on Lindsey Graham in a 2020 primary; his foibles will be overlooked in that one.  Under no circumstances can I see Mark Sanford getting the kind of resources needed for ANY GOP Presidential bid in 2020.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »

*bump*

Sanford is no fan of Trump's budget:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mark-sanford-trump-budget_us_5925b607e4b00c8df2a10b40?82p

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 04:12:42 PM »

I agree with this assessment of Sanford's electability.  On the other hand, Trump carried SC and McMaster, IIRC, wasn't so dumb as to endorse Trump.  He'll be the incumbent Governor in 2018, so I view him as someone who will be a tough incumbent to beat.

On the other hand, I can see Sanford taking on Lindsey Graham in a 2020 primary; his foibles will be overlooked in that one.  Under no circumstances can I see Mark Sanford getting the kind of resources needed for ANY GOP Presidential bid in 2020.

Henry McMaster and André Bauer were two of four statewide elected officials, besides Governors and Senators, to endorse Trump in the primaries. The others were Eric Skrmetta, a Louisiana Public Service Commissioner, and Pam Bondi, the incumbent Attorney General of Florida.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 05:25:24 PM »

It's worth noting that Sanford is one of the few members of Congress to go #NeverTrump who then backtracked and endorsed him:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=230807.msg5217939#msg5217939

Too much of a coward to be a credible president
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 09:17:22 PM »

Sanders, however, postures as an Evangelical, and his sex scandal involved the use of taxpayer dollars, so it wasn't all on his dime.  For reasons known only to God, the taxpayer funded aspect of Sanford's scandals make it worse.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies