Sen. Santorum Will Not Run for President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:34:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Sen. Santorum Will Not Run for President
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Sen. Santorum Will Not Run for President  (Read 20098 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2005, 07:22:36 PM »
« edited: July 25, 2005, 07:24:44 PM by Frodo »

GOP Sen. Santorum rules out 2008 bid

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON -- Republican Sen. Rick Santorum said Monday he has no intention to seek the presidency in 2008.

The Pennsylvania conservative, who recently wrote a book titled "It Takes a Family," said he couldn't imagine putting his family through another campaign after his re-election bid in 2006. Recent state polls show Democrat Bob Casey Jr. leading the two-term incumbent.

"I have six children ages 4-14. And the idea of coming off a race of the intensity that I am engaged in at this point and turning around and running another two-year campaign for president is not something that I believe is in the best interest of my family," Santorum said in an online interview with The Washington Post.

link

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 07:33:41 PM »

He wants to be President and everyone knows it. He might change his mind but if he plans to stick to this pledge, look for him to run in 2012 (if the Dems win in '08) or 2016.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 07:37:52 PM »

Yay!! WOOOO!!!!
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 07:39:21 PM »

*throws confetti* lol Cheesy
PADem

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 07:41:56 PM »

He wouldn't stand a chance anyways.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 07:42:53 PM »

Why are liberals rejoicing over him not running? I thought you wanted it so you could crush him?

While I am obviously very saddened by this news, it gives me more strength to work to see him re-elected to the Senate.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 07:49:20 PM »

He wants to be President and everyone knows it. He might change his mind but if he plans to stick to this pledge, look for him to run in 2012 (if the Dems win in '08) or 2016.

...or more likely, santorum may be selling insurance in 2012 or 16.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 07:50:00 PM »

Santorum will be a lobbyist by 2008.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 07:54:05 PM »

If he wins in 2006, all the idiots on this forum that got on my case will never hear the end. He pulled off upsets before when the Dems thought they finished him off. He can do it again.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 07:55:02 PM »

I agree with you, Phil.  I like Rick, he seems to be a sound Senator and seems to stay above the political fray that besets so many politicians of all levels.  I wish he would run for President, because he would most likely get my vote.  I can't say he definitely would because I would have to look at the Democrat's candidate, but "most likely" is an accurate assessment.  However, I have to applaud him for wanting to put his family first.  That tells me he stands behind his book and puts his family above his constituents.  Whatever Rick is doing in January 2007, he will be very successful at it, and I wish him and his family well.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 08:04:34 PM »

If he wins in 2006, all the idiots on this forum that got on my case will never hear the end. He pulled off upsets before when the Dems thought they finished him off. He can do it again.
Idiots? That's rather unneccessary and adds nothing to the debate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 08:05:25 PM »

And what you did added nothing to the debate either.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 08:06:21 PM »

And what you did added nothing to the debate either.
or did it? Huh
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 08:07:49 PM »

phil, ive always predicted a victory for santorum next year.

he will win 52-47, or thereabouts.

but i dont think he will ever be president.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 08:13:16 PM »

but i dont think he will ever be president.

Unfortunatley, that looks to be the case now.

The point about never letting people hear the end of a Santorum victory (if it happens) is because they have so much hate for the man and I despise seeing them act the way they do.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 08:16:57 PM »

I must eco Phil in that I do find it interesting that Democrats go on about how Santorum would be crushed if he ran, but are beside themselves with joy to see him out.
RJ
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 08:18:26 PM »

I hate him, but I think he'll win his reelection bid.

Out of all the right wingers, I'd say he has the best chance of winning a national election. He may very well beat someone like Hillary or Kerry, but wouldn't have much chance against vs someone like Fiengold/Warner/Vilsack ect.

I wouldn't rule him out of appearing in the primaries in 2008 and testing the waters. I still think if he genuinely believes the nomination is his for the taking, he'll grab it. For all we know, this may be a ploy on his part to 1)divert attention(almost sure to be nagative) away from him and 2)come off looking good as "the family man" type.

I'm sure we haven't heard the last from that "idiot."
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005, 08:21:45 PM »

This isn't really surprising, and I don't blame him for wanting to do something other than campaign for 4 straight years.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2005, 08:24:05 PM »

Then you really don't know the situation. He wants to be President. For people that follow this, it is more surprising than you think.

I'm sure we haven't heard the last from that "idiot."

I don't think we've heard the last from you either.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2005, 08:24:28 PM »

This isn't really surprising, and I don't blame him for wanting to do something other than campaign for 4 straight years.
yeah, that sounds rather exhausting. plus it would hurt his fundraising because alot o people would have just given to the campaign, and probably wouldnt want to turn around and have to give more.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2005, 09:57:35 PM »

Then you really don't know the situation. He wants to be President. For people that follow this, it is more surprising than you think.

Not surprising for 2008. Once we learned he would face Casey, and thus a tough re-election battle, it would be unrealistic to expect him to jump to Presidential campaigning the day after he won, which he would have to do. I fully expect him to run at a later date.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2005, 10:02:16 PM »

Not surprising for 2008. Once we learned he would face Casey, and thus a tough re-election battle, it would be unrealistic to expect him to jump to Presidential campaigning the day after he won, which he would have to do.

Wrong. He surivived a tough race in '92 (when Dems thought they finished him off) and ran for Senate two years later. He could have run in '08 and many expected him to.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2005, 10:36:46 PM »

http://darthno.ytmnd.com/
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2005, 11:29:57 PM »

If he beats Casey he still would have a shot at the Veep slot.

McCain/Santorum, for instance.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2005, 12:27:39 AM »

If he beats Casey he still would have a shot at the Veep slot.

McCain/Santorum, for instance.

I was thinking VP, too, but I doubt he'll take it. At this point, I guess he's hoping to run in 2012 (if a Dem gets elected) or in 2016. Eleven years from now he'll only be 58 years old.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies