BREAKING: Trump Considering Mobilizing 100K in Nat'l Guard to Deport Illegals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:03:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Trump Considering Mobilizing 100K in Nat'l Guard to Deport Illegals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: BREAKING: Trump Considering Mobilizing 100K in Nat'l Guard to Deport Illegals  (Read 2291 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2017, 10:49:43 AM »

https://apnews.com/5508111d59554a33be8001bdac4ef830?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »

White House has already shot this down.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 10:58:53 AM »

White House has already shot this down.
I'm hearing that from individual twitter accounts, but regardless, I doubt they actually mean that.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 11:01:02 AM »

So this was from the AP, eh?  And you wonder why the guy goes spastic on the news media.  This stupid reporting plays right into his hand.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 11:03:48 AM »

So this was from the AP, eh?  And you wonder why the guy goes spastic on the news media.  This stupid reporting plays right into his hand.

Indeed-- but it sounds like this was a set-up if anything. Radio silence when asked, then cry "fake news!" when they go ahead with the story.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 11:05:20 AM »

The reason proposals of this nature spook me is not the immigrant deportation, but in how they enforce it*, and the high potential for overreach and possibly dictatorship

*Checkpoints? Going from house to house? So on and so forth
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 11:16:34 AM »

But... why would the Trump admin use this particular issue to try and gin up "fake news?" The proposal would almost certainly be far more unpopular than the travel ban, and be a logistical nightmare, relies on blue state governors (Brown CA, Brown OR, Hickenlooper, JBE) to be implemented, so why bother even drafting it? If it's all a head-fake to mess with the press, then why pick an issue where, if you do back down, you look soft on immigrants, potentially pissing off your base.

The simple answer is, as always, this is a real memo that they hastily put together, at the request of president Trump, and was floated by someone in the admin staff to kill it. They can't do it now without looking like liars. Incompetence + leaks = everyday.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 11:20:50 AM »

This would be wildly popular with most of his supporters, btw, had it been true.
Trapsy

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 11:21:02 AM »

A DHS official says memo was "a very early, pre decisional draft... and was never seriously considered by the Department"
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 11:24:50 AM »

This would be wildly popular with most of his supporters, btw, had it been true.

It's not his job to only do things which are popular with his supporters.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 11:37:01 AM »

As a comparison:

Austria deported 11.000 people last year. In US terms, that would be around 407.000 people (The ICE actually deported 240.000 people last year).

In January 2017, Austria deported 156% more people than in January 2016 - so this could be a record year.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 11:45:03 AM »

Only about 19% of Americans support massive deportations.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 11:50:48 AM »

It's not his job to only do things which are popular with his supporters.

It basically is.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »

Of course, popularity does not necessarily equal good policy, but I assume you know that already.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »

Of course, popularity does not necessarily equal good policy, but I assume you know that already.

Yep, and personally I'm not in favor of using the National Guard for a round up. 
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »

I think the posse commitatus act would prevent this. National Guard arent entirely barred from certain types of domestic law enforcement, but that typically has been limited to declared emergencies, dui checkpoints, and crowd control at large events. Since the government cannot require people to carry IDs (except for when entering certain government buildings or the airport) the National Guard does not seem like a useful enforcement arm unless they are literally sitting on the border like the Buffalo soldiers 100 yrs ago. Citizenship checkpoints would almost assuredly be unconstitutional or completely ineffective. And again, its not illegal to speak spanish or not carry proof of citizenship, so I don't see door to door sweeps or random checkpoints being likely. There may be some coordination during specific workplace raids, but even that seems wasteful, as I don't see many illegal workers routinely carrying guns while at work. My guess would be helicopter loans at most and maybe allowing border states more flexibility in deploying the National Guard to the border or Trump calling some up to assist in detaining a glut in deportees on military facilities  (but even this is post-capture by ICE.)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 01:17:27 PM »

I'm not necessarily opposed to this. They did break the law and in a sense, we do need to enforce the law.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 01:35:36 PM »

I'm not necessarily opposed to this. They did break the law and in a sense, we do need to enforce the law.
You are disgusting. 
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 01:36:51 PM »

C'mon man, flagrantly violating civil liberties and the Constitution is fundamentally bad
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »

You are disgusting. 

-He is, but that's hardly the biggest reason.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »

You are disgusting. 

No not really, because again, rule of law. It's not how I would do things but its not the worst thing ever. If we allow anyone to cross the border and there are no consequences, why have an immigrant quota? Asking the National Guard to enforce the law isn't a horrible thing.

Trump is terrible on this because he doesn't understand that we need more high skilled workers and a wall is ineffective. not necessarily because enforcing the law is a bad thing.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 01:59:32 PM »

Having the military mobilizing in large numbers to go around America rounding up undocumented immigrants is probably not going to look good at all. Couldn't it also give fuel to people calling him a wannabe dictator/etc?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 02:00:24 PM »

C'mon man, flagrantly violating civil liberties and the Constitution is fundamentally bad

I disagree, but how does it violate civil liberties or the Constitution? The President is technically commander in chief over the National Guard right?

I guess I have a conservative viewpoint on immigration so I'm not per se following.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »

Having the military mobilizing in large numbers to go around America rounding up undocumented immigrants is probably not going to look good at all. Couldn't it also give fuel to people calling him a wannabe dictator/etc?

Per se I would've preferred ICE agents to do the job as well as federal agents. It probably would be better to mobilize these assets rather than the National Guard. But deportations of illegal migrants isn't necessarily unconstitutional or a bad idea.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 02:05:25 PM »

You are disgusting.  

No not really, because again, rule of law. It's not how I would do things but its not the worst thing ever. If we allow anyone to cross the border and there are no consequences, why have an immigrant quota? Asking the National Guard to enforce the law isn't a horrible thing.

Trump is terrible on this because he doesn't understand that we need more high skilled workers and a wall is ineffective. not necessarily because enforcing the law is a bad thing.

I mean I get where your coming from but Latinos are the biggest minority in America and this could power them to come out and vote/participate thus blocking the GOP out for a generation.

I was speaking from a policy perspective more than a political one. And eh the Republicans deserve to have their behinds kicked for a generation so that's not too bothersome to me.

FWIW, I understand its a highly complex issue and I definitely think Trump's an idiot for handling this the way he has. Enforcing the law needs to be done with an eye to reality and in a systematic Constitutional way.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies