Quinnipiac - VA: Kaine up 20 on Ingraham / 21 on Fiorina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:50:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Quinnipiac - VA: Kaine up 20 on Ingraham / 21 on Fiorina
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Quinnipiac - VA: Kaine up 20 on Ingraham / 21 on Fiorina  (Read 3071 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 08:00:12 PM »

What the conversation on suburbs is missing is that most of NoVa isn't suburban at all anymore.  DC can't really build out (or up, given the local building codes), so the urban core now extends well into Virginia (and the tallest buildings are all there).  Our problem isn't really suburbs shifting so much as it is urban areas taking over what used to be suburbs.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 08:07:26 PM »

Trump's approval rating is 38-58 in the state too, which basically lines up with the Senate race. It's too bad we didn't get regional breakdowns, because it would be interesting to see if the Republicans are cratering in Nova even more than usual, or if they're starting to lose in Richmond suburbs and such. Probably both.

Yeah, probably both. The Philly suburbs might be a foreshadowing of things to come. If all of the suburbs start voting like urban areas at a national level, the Republican Party will go extinct.

The GOP can still win in the suburbs. Crime, taxes, schools could be a good message for suburban Republicans nationwide. Suburbs are Lean D, but anything can happen.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 08:21:39 PM »

Our problem isn't really suburbs shifting so much as it is urban areas taking over what used to be suburbs.

Nah trust me, that's the problem. Just take a trip on Google Maps and you'll see that NoVA is nowhere near as dense as DC. Republicans used to at least dominate in neighborhoods with McMansions while keeping it respectable with the slightly more dense suburbs, but those days are long gone. I think what you're failing to understand is that NoVA suburbs are much more educated and diverse where everyone knows a fair amount of minorities in their lives. This is not analogous to other suburban areas that still vote Republican.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 08:28:02 PM »

Our problem isn't really suburbs shifting so much as it is urban areas taking over what used to be suburbs.

Nah trust me, that's the problem. Just take a trip on Google Maps and you'll see that NoVA is nowhere near as dense as DC. Republicans used to at least dominate in neighborhoods with McMansions while keeping it respectable with the slightly more dense suburbs, but those days are long gone. I think what you're failing to understand is that NoVA suburbs are much more educated and diverse where everyone knows a fair amount of minorities in their lives. This is not analogous to other suburban areas that still vote Republican.

However, I think Gillespie could do very well in the NoVA suburbs, don't you think? He has that suburban appeal about him.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 08:39:20 PM »

Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina might have made it close, but Former Hewlett-Packard CEO, failed Senate candidate, failed presidential candidate, and failed vice-presidential candidate Carly Fiorina will not.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 08:44:13 PM »

Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina might have made it close, but Former Hewlett-Packard CEO, failed Senate candidate, failed presidential candidate, and failed vice-presidential candidate Carly Fiorina will not.

not to mention carpetbagger Tongue
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »

peterthlee
China

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2017, 09:32:13 PM »

Given such polling, I move the seat to safe D (strong Dem hold).
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2017, 11:47:36 PM »

What the conversation on suburbs is missing is that most of NoVa isn't suburban at all anymore.  DC can't really build out (or up, given the local building codes), so the urban core now extends well into Virginia (and the tallest buildings are all there).  Our problem isn't really suburbs shifting so much as it is urban areas taking over what used to be suburbs.

WTF are you talking about?  At most you could argue that Arlington and Alexandria are an extension of DC.  Are you really making a straight faced argument that Fairfax and further out counties are extensions of the "urban core?"

Remember that most of the City of Nashville is covered by houses with lawns and driveways, but the places I have been to in Northern Virginia have seemed quite urban (I've been as far as the Clarendon metro stop with regularity).
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 07:58:27 AM »

There are pockets of NoVa that are pretty dense, but overall, the area is pretty suburban in terms of housing and commuting.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2017, 11:50:26 PM »

WTF are you talking about?  At most you could argue that Arlington and Alexandria are an extension of DC.  Are you really making a straight faced argument that Fairfax and further out counties are extensions of the "urban core?"

Remember that most of the City of Nashville is covered by houses with lawns and driveways, but the places I have been to in Northern Virginia have seemed quite urban (I've been as far as the Clarendon metro stop with regularity).

BTW - there are areas of DC that have lawns and driveways as well.

I'm well aware.  I have spent a significant period of time in DC.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2017, 07:13:08 AM »

I think it's a plus for Kaine to have been the Democratic vice-presidential nominee, which I think gave him more name recognition.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2017, 02:38:10 AM »

I didn't realize cities and metro areas were all alike...
They are when it helps a conservative.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2017, 09:53:14 PM »

Looks like they need a better candidate. How bout this guy?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2017, 10:27:11 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2017, 12:50:17 PM by Dwarven Dragon »

E.W. Jackson would be a better candidate for republicans than Fiorina or Ingraham, but that's a terribly low bar.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2017, 02:36:34 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2017, 02:38:43 PM by MAINEiac4434 »

E.W. Jackson would be a better candidate for republicans than Fiorina or Ingraham, but that's a terribly low bar.
I would be a better candidate for the Democrats than Michael Moore or a rock

Seriously, is Kaine that entrenched? Are they waiting for Comstock?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2017, 02:39:09 PM »

I would be a better candidate for the Democrats than Michael Moore or a rock

Seriously, is Kaine that entrenched?

Unless Comstock, Obenshain, or Taylor goes for it, yes.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »

Comstock van either choose to lose embarrasingly in 2 years, either in her own district or statewide. I look forward to seeing her destruction either way.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2017, 02:48:20 PM »

Comstock van either choose to lose embarrasingly in 2 years, either in her own district or statewide. I look forward to seeing her destruction either way.
If Comstock runs for reelection and loses, it will be by a very small margin. She's not getting Landrieud or Pryored.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2017, 03:11:14 PM »

If Comstock runs for reelection and loses, it will be by a very small margin. She's not getting Landrieud or Pryored.

You mean Blanched.

An officeholder narrowly losing re-election due to a state or district's partisan lean should be called getting Ayotted
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies