Democrats: Do you support forcibly removing Manchin from the democratic caucus? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:00:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Democrats: Do you support forcibly removing Manchin from the democratic caucus? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Meaning kick him out today and force him to caucus with the republicans or no one at all
Yes
No
Not a Democrat
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Democrats: Do you support forcibly removing Manchin from the democratic caucus?  (Read 2189 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: February 18, 2017, 02:35:36 PM »

^ For whatever reason, Abortion has become the democrats signature cause. Even more so than Climate Change - Tester, Donnelly, and Heitkamp are pro-coal (I'll address Manchin below), and no one important cares. No one important cared about the group of dems who supported/were open to the idea of Keystone either.  Even more so than Gun Control - I didn't see anyone complaining about Pro-Gun Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick being the nominee against McCain, for instance. But for some reason, when it comes to Abortion, it is suddenly unforgivable to oppose it. There are two pro-life dems left in the senate. One is Bob Casey, who is quite low-profile. The other is Manchin, who is consistently criticized for not being liberal enough. And I honestly think it's over Abortion. Yes, Manchin is pro-coal, bit so is Tester, and no one claims he's not a real democrat. It's not guns, because Manchin did Manchin-Toomey. This started before Trump, so it's not just the cabinet stuff. The only difference left between Manchin and other romney state senators is Abortion.

And it's honestly sad that this is the case, that a major political party has as its Signature Issue destruction of our own species. And this gets into part of why I am not a single issue abortion voter - I believe that Democrats are basically forced to be pro-choice, whether they like it or not. I believe there are dems in congress right now, although I'm not exactly sure who, who want to advocate pro-life policies, or at least things like an outright 24 week ban, but are forced into silence by the Democratic base. I don't know why the base has destruction as their signature issue, but it's the way it is, and it's one of the worst things about our political system. And I don't know how to begin changing it. I don't want a 535-0 R Congress.

Aside from his deranged wording in parts, Wulfric is ... right? My theory is the Dems took the wrong lesson from the defeat of Akin and Mourdock, by assuming that the collapse of those two repugnant individuals meant that they should rely on the abortion issue as a crux all the time, to the extent that if you were to advocate any sort of restriction on abortion (as exists in my country and most of Europe) you get thrown under a bridge.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 02:39:49 PM »

As for Manchin, (who gets autocorrected to manchild lol) he's a tedious hack who has always had a particularly ugly career. But the way the Senate works (I.e. majoritarian) it is very illogical to care much about anything other than partisan affiliation, and Manchin is a useful tool. Certainly more useful for the left than the likes of Heller, Flake, McCain, Collins, Rubio, Toomey, Grassley, Ernst, Johnson, Portman, Tillis, Burr etc. who all bow to the extreme right agenda dispute squatting in swing states.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies