Opinion of TV Tropes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:49:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of TV Tropes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: http://tvtropes.org
Freedom Website

Horrible Website

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Opinion of TV Tropes  (Read 1402 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2017, 05:48:44 PM »

I say massive FW, but I wonder what Atlas thinks.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »

It's a lot of fun and actually pretty informative. Like most of the internet it has its fair share of cringeworthy and/or nonsensical content, but it's worth looking pas that.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 05:52:54 PM »

I tend to go though periods of being super obsessed with it, and then basically never go there when I'm not.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 06:08:15 PM »

I tend to go though periods of being super obsessed with it, and then basically never go there when I'm not.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 06:08:39 PM »

Awesome site.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 06:51:54 PM »

Has some amazing sections and some cringeworthy sections. Lean FF
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 07:26:01 PM »

Best page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Website/Update
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 07:26:41 PM »

Roll Eyes
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 07:31:25 PM »

Haha, forgot about that. Weirdly that's how I first found out about Update, even though I was already lurking on Atlas.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 08:26:52 PM »

Best website
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 10:59:49 PM »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Administrivia/ThereIsNoSuchThingAsNotability
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 11:32:31 PM »

I used to be very amused with it but I quickly realized the entire premise of the website is completely flawed and nothing more than a ton of meaningless reference sheets.

The indexing of notable tropes in various media is a great idea in theory, but the website falls completely flat in the implementation. There's no discussion about the meaning of a trope in the context of its general application, or why a trope is appropriate to use, or how an amateur writer can apply the trope properly, or even their general significance. Instead it's literally nothing more than an obsessively compiled list of examples and examples and examples with zero commentary other than perhaps a brief description of the circumstances of its use in a given work. It claims to be a writing resource but literally every work I've read that was inspired by TVTropes is almost completely devoid of actual content or meaningful plot, and instead is reduced to little more than a "fill in the blank" style exercise of jumping from trope to trope, one after another, exhibiting zero understanding on any meaningful or symbolic level. The site has so much potential but it falls completely flat.

That said, I do enjoy the "fridge" section of various works because they often include interesting observations that I might have failed to catch. I also used to like the WMG's but the vast majority of them are terrible, especially compared to reddit's /r/fantheories which actually has a lot of interesting content.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 11:36:45 PM »

I always found YMMV to be the most interesting section, because there you have people actually discussing and disagreeing about how a work should be interpreted.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 11:38:19 PM »

I used to be very amused with it but I quickly realized the entire premise of the website is completely flawed and nothing more than a ton of meaningless reference sheets.

The indexing of notable tropes in various media is a great idea in theory, but the website falls completely flat in the implementation. There's no discussion about the meaning of a trope in the context of its general application, or why a trope is appropriate to use, or how an amateur writer can apply the trope properly, or even their general significance. Instead it's literally nothing more than an obsessively compiled list of examples and examples and examples with zero commentary other than perhaps a brief description of the circumstances of its use in a given work. It claims to be a writing resource but literally every work I've read that was inspired by TVTropes is almost completely devoid of actual content or meaningful plot, and instead is reduced to little more than a "fill in the blank" style exercise of jumping from trope to trope, one after another, exhibiting zero understanding on any meaningful or symbolic level. The site has so much potential but it falls completely flat.

That said, I do enjoy the "fridge" section of various works because they often include interesting observations that I might have failed to catch. I also used to like the WMG's but the vast majority of them are terrible, especially compared to reddit's /r/fantheories which actually has a lot of interesting content.

Actually that's not true about many of the tropes, especially the most specific ones to certain media types. It's true about most non-YMMV tropes granted.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 03:28:23 AM »

FW...but with a lot reservation. I practically gave up there for this place for a reason.

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 04:13:24 PM »

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 04:28:45 PM »

Cool website but the userbase is godawful.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=this+troper
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 11:56:59 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2017, 12:00:33 AM by Scarlet Descent »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF-MKnTFOuo

"This troper" examples for yandere. Just seeing the title made me start shouting "no".(I think the fact that I have a certain amount of stalkerish tendencies that I've had to learn were a problem might make it more bad for me, but who knows.)

EDIT: but not "yandere" tendencies. I probably shouldn't have said as much as I have... It takes too much context to explain.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 03:58:44 AM »

"This troper" examples for yandere. Just seeing the title made me start shouting "no".(I think the fact that I have a certain amount of stalkerish tendencies that I've had to learn were a problem might make it more bad for me, but who knows.)

EDIT: but not "yandere" tendencies. I probably shouldn't have said as much as I have... It takes too much context to explain.

The "This Troper" section has since been wiped from the site (these videos pretty much show the reason why) but all the turbo-nerds who wrote them remain.

Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 11:23:49 AM »

The "This Troper" section has since been wiped from the site (these videos pretty much show the reason why) but all the turbo-nerds who wrote them remain.

That's good. Not surprising considering some of the things in the video I linked alone.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies