Glenn Greenwald: Empowering Deep State is prescription for destroying democracy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:21:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Glenn Greenwald: Empowering Deep State is prescription for destroying democracy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Glenn Greenwald: Empowering Deep State is prescription for destroying democracy  (Read 946 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2017, 02:21:50 AM »

Glenn gives a great summary on why Dems should not be giddy whenever the CIA leaks something unfavorable about Trump to the media.  I suggest everyone watch this entire segment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY1MiNfwcRg
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 02:54:08 AM »

Greenwald is a Putin and Assad apologist. I don't give his opinions of democracy much credence.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 03:10:13 AM »

I have to generally agree with the premise of his argument. It reminds me of that tweet by Rob Reiner where he promotes the intelligence community waging a war against the Trump Administration in the name of democracy. I guess it doesn't strike Reiner as ironic that he's championing what is perhaps the least democratic part of our government to, undemocratically and without oversight, meddle in the affairs of a democratically elected President. What happens if this Deep State is so empowered and emboldened that, when a Democrat assumes office it dislikes, they do everything in their power to delegitimize and destabilize their Presidency?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 03:19:20 AM »

Greenwald is a Putin and Assad apologist. I don't give his opinions of democracy much credence.

I don't think Greenwald is as much a Putin/Assad apologist as he is a true believer(TM), and as such, a democracy that claims to be morally responsible but isn't in most instances is more reprehensible to him as an authoritian government that's openly authoritarian.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 03:52:54 AM »

I didn't hear Greenwald complaining about the Deep State when the FBI flipped the election to a fascist. Idiot.
Trapsy

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 04:09:25 AM »

Is everything black and white to Greenwald?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 04:38:11 AM »

Is everything black and white to Greenwald?

No.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 08:44:05 AM »

This is why electing Pussygrabber is such a catastrophe.

Leave him in office, and democracy is wounded as he craps all over law, tradition, and the Constitution.

Remove him from office by extra-legal means, and rule of law, elections peaceful transition, and possibly civilian oversight of military/law enforcement  is damaged.

Trump is toxic for America and everyone who supported him is a terrible human being and a bad citizen who ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »

Greenwald is somewhat right on this one. While I can say the leaks were justified in this case, I don't think it should be precedent for the CIA and FBI to be able to leak documents about the president if they dislike him.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »

Yes, Greenwald is provoking a lot of rage over stating the obvious yet uncomfortable. It's been highly disturbing to watch as this behavior is uncritically celebrated.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 10:04:46 AM »

Oh please Glenn is saying this because his tp about "the dems are making up the Russian hacking" is going up in smoke
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »

As much as I dislike Greenwald's hyper-negative & aggressive nature, he isn't wrong here. I mean, with Trump, this pushback and subversion might be necessary but it is a troubling development in the country's power structure that for all we know could further evolve even after Trump is gone. None of this is a net positive for the US.

Quite frankly what would have been great is if we never had a president so scummy and so untrustworthy that our own intelligence apparatus felt they couldn't trust him and were unsure if their secrets would end up in Moscow. Thanks REAL America!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 01:33:09 PM »

I hope you're not willing to dismiss the premise of an entire argument and go supporting "the deep state" because you didn't like the messenger.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 01:39:53 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »

Would you rather Trump have more control over the "Deep State"?
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 01:49:45 PM »

Yes, Greenwald is provoking a lot of rage over stating the obvious yet uncomfortable. It's been highly disturbing to watch as this behavior is uncritically celebrated.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 01:50:49 PM »

Would you rather Trump have more control over the "Deep State"?

-Yes.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »

It illustrates finely the low level of discourse when the CIA is uncritically defended because it is attacking someone liberals don't like, even though operational trends mean that the CIA is itself becoming a serious threat to the people.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 03:20:19 PM »

I hope you're not willing to dismiss the premise of an entire argument and go supporting "the deep state" because you didn't like the messenger.

Well, the problem here is Trump.  Trump is the most immediate threat to democracy (as well as to peace, public safety, etc.).  It is not a good situation that we are in where we are relying on the "deep state" to check and balance Donald Trump, but it is the situation we are in.  In a functioning democracy, where you had a president and a majority party that respected the rule of law and believed in good governance, you wouldn't need the "deep state" to intervene, but instead we have Trump and the modern GOP.

Few journalists (with the exception of those at Breitbart and Fox News or whatever) did more to get Trump elected than Greenwald, so I'm not going to place much credibility in his cry crocodile tears about the "deep state" now that he's gotten his fascist elected.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 03:34:59 PM »

What happens when a Democratic president does something the inner workings of the CIA doesn't approve of? Like say, attempt to dismantle the Patriot Act? Will Democrats be okay with the deep state then?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 03:35:44 PM »

I endorsed the TRUMP movement in July.

Trump is the most immediate threat to democracy (as well as to peace, public safety, etc.).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 03:37:09 PM »

I endorsed the TRUMP movement in July.

Trump is the most immediate threat to democracy (as well as to peace, public safety, etc.).

I have recanted and apologized for my ironic Trump support.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 03:43:24 PM »

What happens when a Democratic president does something the inner workings of the CIA doesn't approve of? Like say, attempt to dismantle the Patriot Act? Will Democrats be okay with the deep state then?

I would certainly be okay if the Deep State were to truthfully leak that a Democratic president was about to dismantle the Patriot Act. It would give me notice to stand up and cheer.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2017, 03:45:40 PM »

Well, the problem here is Trump.  Trump is the most immediate threat to democracy (as well as to peace, public safety, etc.).  It is not a good situation that we are in where we are relying on the "deep state" to check and balance Donald Trump, but it is the situation we are in.  In a functioning democracy, where you had a president and a majority party that respected the rule of law and believed in good governance, you wouldn't need the "deep state" to intervene, but instead we have Trump and the modern GOP.

Few journalists (with the exception of those at Breitbart and Fox News or whatever) did more to get Trump elected than Greenwald, so I'm not going to place much credibility in his cry crocodile tears about the "deep state" now that he's gotten his fascist elected.

Is Greenwald really that influential? I mean, this is bordering on BRtD-style mania - whatever your feelings on the guy, he has no where near the reach (nor cravenness) of the journalists of the mass medi that created and kept alive the trump phenomenon. And at least Glenn is motivated by some principle - the CnN hacks elected trump because of muh ratings.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2017, 03:49:05 PM »

Is Greenwald really that influential? I mean, this is bordering on BRtD-style mania - whatever your feelings on the guy, he has no where near the reach (nor cravenness) of the journalists of the mass medi that created and kept alive the trump phenomenon. And at least Glenn is motivated by some principle - the CnN hacks elected trump because of muh ratings.

What principle says that the FBI putting out a bogus story to tip the most acrimonious election in 50 years to the popular vote loser is not a threat to democracy, but that accurately leaking that the National Security advisor lied to the FBI and the public is? Would Greenwald have said Watergate was a threat to democracy, too?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies