Transgender Bathroom Bill ft. Texas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:20:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Transgender Bathroom Bill ft. Texas
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Transgender Bathroom Bill ft. Texas  (Read 1240 times)
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »
« edited: February 18, 2017, 08:31:01 AM by Confused Democrat »

Link

Why on Earth do state legislatures think this is a good idea? Just take a look at the trainwreck that was North Carolina's bathroom bill.

The bill cost North Carolina at least $400 million, more than 1,000 jobs, a ton of companies pulled out of the state, caused a ton of bad PR, and for what?

An unnecessary bill that's unenforceable and just a huge moral grandstand.

The NFL is already threatening to stop hosting sporting events and Super Bowls in Texas if lawmakers push this bill through the legislature. The NBA and NCAA have also come out and threatened Texas saying that they would take action if the state passes such a bill, and this is just the beginning. Who knows what other companies will start to pull business out of the state if Texas ends up passing this bill.

Sad!
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »

Wow way to set up a dem talking point in 2018
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »

The NFL needs to put up or shut up. Either make the Cowboys and Texans play every game on the road or stop the nonsense. If the NFL can allow 16 regular season games in Texas it can allow a Super Bowl  there too.

Same goes for the NBA and North Carolina. Makes no sense to cancel the All-Star game when it's fine playing 41 Hornets games there.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 10:30:29 AM »

If we can get every red state to pass these (or maybe one at the federal level if we get 60 seats in 2018), is big business, sports, and music going to really boycott half- or all- of the country?  It's a lot easier for them when it is just North Carolina or just North Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, and Kansas (CA law).
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »

The thing that annoys me is this isn't any way a legit concern by the right. 5 years ago none of them probably knew what a trans person is, let's call it what it is, the reactionary right finding a new group to pick on because they lost the gay marriage fight.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 10:50:44 AM »

The thing that annoys me is this isn't any way a legit concern by the right. 5 years ago none of them probably knew what a trans person is, let's call it what it is, the reactionary right finding a new group to pick on because they lost the gay marriage fight.

This is the left moving onto something more out there (in their spare time, when they aren't busy going after Christian businesses for not taking part in gay "weddings") because they won- at least temporarily- the gay marriage fight, so they need something new.  If they win this, they will find something more bizarre in 5-10 years that would have seemed unfathomable to us today (I could see, for example, a push from the left to create animal rights and ban people from eating meat).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 10:52:22 AM »

I could see, for example, a push from the left to create animal rights and ban people from eating meat.
Wow, now this would be a great idea!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 10:53:50 AM »

If we can get every red state to pass these (or maybe one at the federal level if we get 60 seats in 2018), is big business, sports, and music going to really boycott half- or all- of the country?  It's a lot easier for them when it is just North Carolina or just North Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, and Kansas (CA law).

Trump is against these, so you'll need 67 senators at least (assuming he's still president in 2019), and that assumes that every single one of them goes along with it. (I imagine only around half of Republican U.S. Senators would support a nationwide law.)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 10:57:44 AM »

Eating meat should definitely be disincentivized by the government.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 10:58:52 AM »

This is the left moving onto something more out there (in their spare time, when they aren't busy going after Christian businesses for not taking part in gay "weddings") because they won- at least temporarily- the gay marriage fight, so they need something new.  If they win this, they will find something more bizarre in 5-10 years that would have seemed unfathomable to us today (I could see, for example, a push from the left to create animal rights and ban people from eating meat).

I would argue that this is the right trying to solve a "problem" that doesn't exist with unnecessary and gratuitous legislation.

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »

This whole debate is ridiculous. I pretty much completely agree with the sentiments shared above: it seems to me like the "bathroom bills" are just more ammunition for Democrats in future elections, given how HB2 handed Cooper the governorship in North Carolina.

I suppose I just don't understand the need to always have a group whose rights need to be suppressed until laws protecting them are enacted, and then the need to move on to a new one. It just seems pointless.

Was the bathroom bill really responsible for Cooper's victory?  I kind of doubt it.  If a transgender non-discrimination measure failed in liberal Houston, I can't imagine HB2 losing a popular vote in North Carolina.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 02:41:11 PM »

This is the left moving onto something more out there (in their spare time, when they aren't busy going after Christian businesses for not taking part in gay "weddings") because they won- at least temporarily- the gay marriage fight, so they need something new.  If they win this, they will find something more bizarre in 5-10 years that would have seemed unfathomable to us today (I could see, for example, a push from the left to create animal rights and ban people from eating meat).

The slippery slope is pretty idiotic on this. Your side warned us that gay marriage would lead to people wanting to marry their dogs and would open the door to polygamy etc., none of which has happened. Massachusetts has has marriage equality for going on 13 years now and tons of people aren't coming out of the woodwork up there to want to marry their pets or plants or vacuum cleaners or whatever else.

I see this attack on transgendereds as the right's new piñata now that they've lost on marriage equality. Republicans who condone this but stay quiet on Trump's Russia situation really have no conscience. "Hey angry working class whites! Vladimir Putin isn't your problem; your problem is all these he-shes trying to molest children in the bathrooms!" I'm sure that's exactly what Jesus would think too.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 02:45:53 PM »

I hate this. I hate it because it distracts the democratic side as well, and makes them cozy up to sociallyliberalbutfiscallysocdarwinist corporations. I also despise that ER always walks in to deliver the textual equivalent of triumphantly soiling himself.

Well, Trump has a lot of support from Hindu Nationalists Cheesy
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 05:58:23 PM »

a vegetarian conservative, now I've seen it all
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 06:42:13 PM »

I have a friend who grew up in small-town Trump country who's now a staunch vegetarian and animal-rights activist. Dunno if you'd call her a conservative at this point, though; the Hindu nationalists would be better examples.

But on-topic: I agree that this is yet another GOP attempt at trying to oppress scapegoats. I'd wager, though, that they think that if enough Republican-led states pass these bills then business can't embargo all of them and so the GOP wins the economic argument. Hopefully we'll never reach that point.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »

This whole debate is ridiculous. I pretty much completely agree with the sentiments shared above: it seems to me like the "bathroom bills" are just more ammunition for Democrats in future elections, given how HB2 handed Cooper the governorship in North Carolina.

I suppose I just don't understand the need to always have a group whose rights need to be suppressed until laws protecting them are enacted, and then the need to move on to a new one. It just seems pointless.

Was the bathroom bill really responsible for Cooper's victory?  I kind of doubt it.  If a transgender non-discrimination measure failed in liberal Houston, I can't imagine HB2 losing a popular vote in North Carolina.

Non-discrimination measures are often seen as giving extra rights while HB2 was a discrimination measure.  Worse than that, HB2 was seen by many who might have supported it were there no opposition as a minor thing not worth the hassles it caused.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 07:52:51 PM »

Trans kids in Texas - and yes there are quite a few of them - should march right on the state capitol in Austin alongside their parents.  Create a sh**tstorm of publicity.

The fine people of Texas are going to have to choose one day between good manners, common decency, and common-sense business, and the Pat Robertson crowd.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 06:22:38 PM »

Not particularly novel. Not common, mind you, but not novel. That he's Jewish and considers (or considered?) himself a neoconservative is what's strange about this.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 07:02:44 PM »

I definitely know far more vegetarian conservatives than liberals...I try to limit my meat, but giving it up completely is far too tough culturally.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 07:23:29 PM »

Disgusting attempts to attack vulnerable people for being different.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 06:21:25 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2017, 08:27:48 AM by IceAgeComing »

This is the left moving onto something more out there

...but its you arguing for a change in the law?  I mean; most on the left are perfectly fine with the status quo in this area of LGBT rights; its the socially conservative right that seem to want to change the consensus position on this.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 07:15:12 AM »

Does anyone see this title and think it's the artists of a new song? "Transgender Bathroom Bill" being a sort of woke trap-soul artist, who is featuring the latest Lorde wanabee, the 17 year old indie singer-songwriter Southern sensation Texas.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 12:39:34 PM »

http://m.chron.com/news/article/Greg-Abbott-trolled-with-epic-photo-by-San-11292785.php#item-39786

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.facebook.com/ashleysmithhair/posts/1896895677226152:0
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies