What would a worldwide Putin vs. Trump favorability map look like?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:35:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What would a worldwide Putin vs. Trump favorability map look like?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would a worldwide Putin vs. Trump favorability map look like?  (Read 871 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2017, 01:38:31 PM »

That is, if you polled every country in the world on "Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Vladimir Putin?", and did the same for Trump, what would the map look like re: who gets a higher favorable number in each country?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 03:59:37 AM »

Does it matter?  They have each other.  Isn't that all that counts?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 01:29:53 AM »

I think Trump has a 10-20% approval rating in Europe. There are a lot of European right-wing populists who love his immigration order (even though most people disagree with it and even a lot of right-wing populists don't like him). Geert Wilders praised him. His approval rating in Europe might actually be higher than Dubya's. Trump atleast gets some of the PVV/AfD voters. He did better than McCain and Romney in 2008 and 2012 in Dutch polls on the American presidential elections.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 03:48:47 AM »

Trump would easily win in America and Putin in Russia, and I suspect that Trump would do better overall if we are talking about who has a higher favorable number surely based on greater name recognition, but if we are talking about net favorability, Putin would likely win in most places for precisely the same reason.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 01:38:53 PM »

While this is "Confidence in [X] to do the right  thing", which is not quite the same as favorability, I found this Pew poll from last year:

http://www.pewglobal.org/2016/06/29/2-obamas-international-image-remains-strong-in-europe-and-asia/

Poland is the only one of the countries polled where Trump comes out ahead.  But again, that poll was taken last summer.  Some of the numbers may have shifted now that Trump is actually POTUS.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 01:48:33 PM »

I love that the country where Trump performs best against Obama in that poll is China.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »

I think Trump has a 10-20% approval rating in Europe. There are a lot of European right-wing populists who love his immigration order (even though most people disagree with it and even a lot of right-wing populists don't like him). Geert Wilders praised him. His approval rating in Europe might actually be higher than Dubya's. Trump atleast gets some of the PVV/AfD voters. He did better than McCain and Romney in 2008 and 2012 in Dutch polls on the American presidential elections.

In Germany, Putin has also some fans at the left spectrum. Left-wing populists of Die Linke, especially figures like Sahra Wagenknecht, are in love with Vlad while they are Anti-American.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 02:45:57 PM »

Here's my totally random guess for what those maps might look like:

Trump favorability: (Blue=favorable)

The blue patches in Africa are countries that seem to consistently give US leadership high ratings, even if Trump might not be their preferred candidate.

Putin favorability:

I wouldn't have put China or Vietnam in Putin's camp, but apparently there was a Pew poll in 2015 that showed him with 50+ approval ratings in both.

And Putin (blue) vs. Trump (orange)

I don't claim for these to be authoritative, or even that well-researched, but I'm curious what people think.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 11:03:15 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2017, 11:19:17 PM by Lord Halifax »

(...)
I don't claim for these to be authoritative, or even that well-researched, but I'm curious what people think.

I think you have India and Pakistan reversed. Trump is well liked on the Indian right, I see no reason why the Pakistanis should prefer him to Putin. Muslim countries would consider Putin the lesser of two evils.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 11:50:48 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2017, 11:53:41 PM by Storebought »

I imagine Putin has positive approval ratings in India, Philippines, and less western-oriented African countries like Nigeria.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies