CPAC: Milo disinvited, quits Breitbart
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:56:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CPAC: Milo disinvited, quits Breitbart
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: CPAC: Milo disinvited, quits Breitbart  (Read 26185 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 21, 2017, 04:37:20 AM »

Just think, none of the other horrific things Milo has said made the CPAC organizers cancel his invitation. In fact, it's because of those other horrible things that he was invited in the first place. Who're they going to invite next year? Richard Spencer? At this point, why not?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #151 on: February 21, 2017, 05:15:54 AM »

Well...at least we now know why he loved calling Trump "Daddy" so much!
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2017, 07:41:59 AM »

Just think, none of the other horrific things Milo has said made the CPAC organizers cancel his invitation. In fact, it's because of those other horrible things that he was invited in the first place. Who're they going to invite next year? Richard Spencer? At this point, why not?

Sarah Palin and Ann Coulter have spoken at CPAC. Just when you think it couldn't get any worse, the right sinks lower.

Good point about all the past things this Milo troll has said and done and CPAC didn't rescind his invitation. I guess conservatives like it when a white guy attacks a black female celebrity online, but hey they are not racists!
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2017, 08:04:30 AM »

to be sure, the "serious" right has sunken milo. as a result the twitter account "the reagan battalion" gets overrun by frogs since 3 days.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2017, 08:22:47 AM »

Milo, on actual issues, largely agrees with whatever conservative consensus is, but defends them in a trollish and pretty stupid way.

Does Milo even care about actual issues? I have a tough time seeing him write an editorial critiquing free trade agreements or outlining a proposal for capital gains tax rates.
I guess only economic issues are "actual issues", That's a weird position for you

Well it's not like he's talked much about abortion or gun control either.

I'm referring to issues that impact actual policy. I've pointed out before this is why stupid Tumblr types are rather harmless, all they want to do is whine about white people having culturally appropriating hairstyles. Milo doesn't talk about policy either.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2017, 10:04:19 AM »

to be sure, the "serious" right has sunken milo. as a result the twitter account "the reagan battalion" gets overrun by frogs since 3 days.

The bigots real mad.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2017, 12:39:55 PM »

Spencer tried to set up a booth (a folding table with some signs) at a Libertarian conference a while back. By all accounts he was laughed out of the building and made to leave.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »

Milo, on actual issues, largely agrees with whatever conservative consensus is, but defends them in a trollish and pretty stupid way.

Does Milo even care about actual issues? I have a tough time seeing him write an editorial critiquing free trade agreements or outlining a proposal for capital gains tax rates.
I guess only economic issues are "actual issues", That's a weird position for you

Well it's not like he's talked much about abortion or gun control either.

I'm referring to issues that impact actual policy. I've pointed out before this is why stupid Tumblr types are rather harmless, all they want to do is whine about white people having culturally appropriating hairstyles. Milo doesn't talk about policy either.

How does not talking policy make them harmless? People don't vote on policy. If they did, Democrats would get 80-90% in every election. It's exactly this kind of stupidity that hurts the party.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #158 on: February 21, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »

They're harmless because the only people who take them seriously are right wing trolls and other morons on Tumblr and some students at stupid private liberal arts colleges that less than 1% of college students attend.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #159 on: February 21, 2017, 02:37:00 PM »

Milo quits Breitbart. That was quick.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2017, 02:44:58 PM »

Where are you seeing that?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »

lol

EnglishPete

« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2017, 02:47:55 PM »

ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #163 on: February 21, 2017, 02:56:21 PM »

crazy that they would ax their biggest name.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2017, 03:08:40 PM »

How big of a douchebag do you have to be to give your name it's own logo?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2017, 03:27:01 PM »

Wow, he's calling it a "poor choice of words." That almost sounds like, dare I say, regret? From Milo? Next thing you know, he might say "I'm sorry." Crazy.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2017, 03:29:39 PM »

See ya! Couldn't have happened to a more viciously rude and pompously disrespectful human being.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2017, 03:31:59 PM »

does this mean Milo starts a rival website for TR00 alt righters?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2017, 03:37:55 PM »

I haven't read Breitbart since Breitbart died but this makes me happy. Payback for ben Shapiro.
EnglishPete

« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2017, 04:02:30 PM »

Milo statement at press conference

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2017/02/21/full-remarks-milo-delivers-speech-press-conference-amid-video-scandal/
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2017, 04:14:47 PM »

There are two very unfortunate truths in life that, at least partially, apply to this situation.

1.  Hurt people hurt people.

2.  You will be punished for your suffering.

I'm not going to pretend that Milo hasn't hurt people with his caustic attitude and really sh**tty political views.  But I have sympathy for him and empathy with him.  And I'm totally unsurprised that so many of you would jump on the bandwagon, firing your mouths off, delighting in your Schadenfreude over what has happened.

But the truth of the matter is:  The majority of you can never, ever empathize with growing up gay... and all of the negative implications that come with it.  I see it in the way you treat so called "self hating gays"... like you are entitled to saying extremely homophobic and hurtful things to someone because they can't stand themselves and can't accept who they are.  That's disgusting and it is so apparent to me and it separates out the wheat from the tares, I'll tell you that much.

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »

There are two very unfortunate truths in life that, at least partially, apply to this situation.

I'm not going to pretend that Milo hasn't hurt people with his caustic attitude and really sh**tty political views.  But I have sympathy for him and empathy with him.  And I'm totally unsurprised that so many of you would jump on the bandwagon, firing your mouths off, delighting in your Schadenfreude over what has happened.

But the truth of the matter is:  The majority of you can never, ever empathize with growing up gay... and all of the negative implications that come with it.  I see it in the way you treat so called "self hating gays"... like you are entitled to saying extremely homophobic and hurtful things to someone because they can't stand themselves and can't accept who they are.  That's disgusting and it is so apparent to me and it separates out the wheat from the tares, I'll tell you that much.

I grew up gay in an extremely conservative and rural area of Puerto Rico. My parents initially rejected me. I was physically abused by teachers, students, and parents. I was thrown into "Christian" circles against my will to "pray it away."

I know all too well what growing up gay is with all of its challenges at the time. I am still, I think, a good human being who aims to do well by others as a way of life.

Milo is a hateful man who uses his negative experiences as a backbone to justify his vile actions. Do I sympathize? Yes. Do I empathize? Sure. But anything that goes beyond that, he owns it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2017, 04:21:50 PM »

I grew up gay in an extremely conservative and rural area of Puerto Rico. My parents initially rejected me. I was physically abused by teachers, students, and parents. I was thrown into "Christian" circles against my will to "pray it away."

I know all too well what growing up gay is with all of its challenges at the time. I am still, I think, a good human being who aims to do well by others as a way of life.

Milo is a hateful man who uses his negative experiences as a backbone to justify his vile actions. Do I sympathize? Yes. Do I empathize? Sure. But anything that goes beyond that, he owns it.
And that's just fine.  But he has lost his job and his book deal because he described his own sexual abuse "the wrong way".  You have to realize that isn't fine.. and if you just want to instead conveniently chock it up to his horrible political views otherwise... well, let's face it, those weren't the problem over at Breitbart.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2017, 04:30:54 PM »

The majority of you can never, ever empathize with growing up gay... and all of the negative implications that come with it.  I see it in the way you treat so called "self hating gays"... like you are entitled to saying extremely homophobic and hurtful things to someone because they can't stand themselves and can't accept who they are.  That's disgusting and it is so apparent to me and it separates out the wheat from the tares, I'll tell you that much.

I grew up gay. I have every sympathy for those who hate themselves. I don't have sympathy for people who damage others because they hate themselves. Self hating gays are never just 'self' hating.

Milo says that gay people can change their orientation. He says he wishes they would go back in the closet. He says that 'gay rights have made gays dumb'. He says that he wishes they would go back to marrying women and having families and have affairs, ruin families because it was more 'fun'.

He called a reporter a 'thick as pig sh!t media Jew.' He sexually harassed people online. He says that trans people are mentally ill.

He is an awful human being.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2017, 04:37:50 PM »

But the truth of the matter is:  The majority of you can never, ever empathize with growing up gay... and all of the negative implications that come with it.  I see it in the way you treat so called "self hating gays"... like you are entitled to saying extremely homophobic and hurtful things to someone because they can't stand themselves and can't accept who they are.  That's disgusting and it is so apparent to me and it separates out the wheat from the tares, I'll tell you that much.

I'm curious as to what you would consider the alternative solution? Would you hug them and make try to make the hate go away while they rile up crowds to point out that you yourself are diseased and need to be subjected to hatred and harm? Are you supposed to sacrifice your own right to feel safe to make this person who is patently trying to make you unsafe safe?

I can see a deontological argument for why this would make sense but in common everyday practice it would be rather foolish, no?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies