McCain (on Trump): Dictators 'get started by suppressing free press'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:50:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  McCain (on Trump): Dictators 'get started by suppressing free press'
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: McCain (on Trump): Dictators 'get started by suppressing free press'  (Read 2001 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »

The recent glorification by the left of the warmongering/neocon/evil to the core segment of the GOP simply because they oppose Trump is pathetic.

I always had a relatively high opinion of John McCain.

This goes back to his opposition to some of George W. Bush's policies though... like his opposition to torture.

Foreign policy-wise, McCain is indeed way too much of a hawk for my taste. This is why I wouldn't want to see him as president.

Still, he was probably the most decent man the Republicans nominated for president in the past 20 years.

McCain has credentials the GOP never allowed him to exercise. Better late than never.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 06:17:55 PM »

The recent glorification by the left of the warmongering/neocon/evil to the core segment of the GOP simply because they oppose Trump is pathetic.

How many people heaping praises to McCain/Graham, or wanting Evan McMullin to run for Senate, also said Bernie shouldn't be the nominee because he's "Not a real Democrat?"

-Like, half, probably. Major HPs, these guys.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 06:36:26 PM »

-Not in living standards, but in the diversity and rarity of its goods exports. Likewise, Qatar is substantially better off than Bulgaria, but certainly not in the diversity and rarity of its goods exports.

Take a look:
http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/prk/
http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/cub/

It requires quite a bit more knowledge to have the industries North Korea has than to have those which Cuba has.

North Korea started with the advantage of containing the industrial areas of the pre-WW II Korea, yet on a per capita basis, Cuba's exports are 25% higher than North Korea's.  Hmm, so much for the superiority of Best Korea over what should have been our 51st State.
Eharding

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2017, 06:40:35 PM »

-Not in living standards, but in the diversity and rarity of its goods exports. Likewise, Qatar is substantially better off than Bulgaria, but certainly not in the diversity and rarity of its goods exports.

Take a look:
http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/prk/
http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/cub/

It requires quite a bit more knowledge to have the industries North Korea has than to have those which Cuba has.

North Korea started with the advantage of containing the industrial areas of the pre-WW II Korea, yet on a per capita basis, Cuba's exports are 25% higher than North Korea's.  Hmm, so much for the superiority of Best Korea over what should have been our 51st State.

-This is due purely to Cuba's obvious and massive advantage in agricultural exports.

Cuba should probably not have become the Fifty-First State, but the abandonment of the Monroe Doctrine in the late 1950s was a disgrace.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2017, 08:48:16 PM »

Btw, did any of you see McCain's speech in Munich?  Talk about a passive-aggressive speech about Trump without actually mentioning Trump's name:

http://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/2017/2/remarks-by-sasc-chairman-john-mccain-at-the-2017-munich-security-conference

Very appropriate that it happened in Munich.

In related news, Angela Merkel told Mike Pence in Munich: "I advocate a free, independent press and have high respect for journalists".

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/germanys-merkel-backs-free-press-amid-trump-media-45578570
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2017, 09:16:06 PM »

"The Enemy of my Enemy is my friend" - Liberals today.

That's why I'm an Independent and not a Democrat. They are both morally bankrupt in their own unique ways.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2017, 09:22:01 PM »

Any senator who voted for the patriot act has no business crying crocodile tears over Trump's actions.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2017, 09:24:11 PM »

Then do something about it.  All bark and no bite.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 09:42:00 PM »

I've said many times that it was actually John McCain's presidential campaign in 2008 that first inspired my interest in politics, and it's great to see that McCain continues to be a terrific American leader -- a true man of the people, if I may say so
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 09:46:59 PM »

I've said many times that it was actually John McCain's presidential campaign in 2008 that first inspired my interest in politics, and it's great to see that McCain continues to be a terrific American leader -- a true man of the people, if I may say so

What matters more, his votes or his words??
Eharding

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2017, 09:56:08 PM »

The man of the people that got 45 percent of the popular vote. Ayy.

-That's not a good indicator for whether a man is one of the people. Rather, one must examine his primary constituency. When one examines this, one gets mixed results, with Huckabee generally having a more "man of the people" (though, really, rural Greater Appalachian) vibe. McCain is definitely a man of the North, despite him representing Arizona (where Romney came close in 2008). Romney was the candidate in 2008 who can least be described as a man of the people.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »

This goes back to his opposition to some of George W. Bush's policies though... like his opposition to torture.

Foreign policy-wise, McCain is indeed way too much of a hawk for my taste. This is why I wouldn't want to see him as president.

Still, he was probably the most decent man the Republicans nominated for president in the past 20 years.

-I find nothing decent about either McCain or Romney as politicians.

What do you dislike about the only 2 decent people that have been nominated by major parties in this country in this century?
Eharding

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2017, 10:13:35 PM »

-I find nothing decent about either McCain or Romney as politicians.

What do you dislike about the only 2 decent people that have been nominated by major parties in this country in this century?

-Their support for the Iraq War, for a start. McCain's support for McCain-Feingold. Romney's support for Romneycare. I still don't see anything decent about them as politicians.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2017, 11:39:32 PM »

What matters more, his votes or his words??

His words give me good feely-feels in my heart. Purple heart
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2017, 09:16:34 AM »

mccain wants war with russia.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2017, 02:26:05 PM »

So John McCain says probably the same thing that most Democrats/liberals are thinking about Trump's attacks on the media and the forum disapproves because he's got an R after his name and is a "neoconservative warmonger?" It's nice to see the pre-2008 Maverick McCain return and standing up to Trump on this whole Russia ordeal. You do realize that it's going to have to be Republicans who hold hearings and investigations into this whole Russia mess since they're in control. At this point in time, I'd say any Republican who has the cajones to stand up against Trump is a pretty stand-up individual, seeing as how Trump basically has a stranglehold on the party and will viciously attack any of them who deflect from him.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2017, 08:50:33 PM »

I am a liberal. I am still to the Right of the President on foreign policy and defense. Obama was fine where I was and still am.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2017, 09:01:18 PM »

i am not liking mccain/graham et al. cause they support wars....i am supporting them cause they seem to care for many years about liberal values which have been forgotten in other parts of the GOP.

which makes them seem less hypocritical in my eyes...i may disagree with a reaganite but i respect him.

core-less shills aren't worthy of any kind of admiration.

i can believe, that the iraq war of 2003 should have ended a LOOOOOOT more careers and still think, that people who supported such wars are valuing democracy more than others at the same time.

in a few years, classical liberals are going to be democrats again - or become rand paul, another core-less shill.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2017, 09:23:42 PM »

No he doesn't, but Russia is most definitely our enemy. We should be undermining and subverting Russia every chance we get and hopefully one day dismantle the Russian Federation and strip it of its ability to stand up to the United States. If we can get away with it, we ought to split it up.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2017, 09:24:10 PM »

So John McCain says probably the same thing that most Democrats/liberals are thinking about Trump's attacks on the media and the forum disapproves because he's got an R after his name and is a "neoconservative warmonger?" It's nice to see the pre-2008 Maverick McCain return and standing up to Trump on this whole Russia ordeal. You do realize that it's going to have to be Republicans who hold hearings and investigations into this whole Russia mess since they're in control. At this point in time, I'd say any Republican who has the cajones to stand up against Trump is a pretty stand-up individual, seeing as how Trump basically has a stranglehold on the party and will viciously attack any of them who deflect from him.

Except John McCain has never and will never stood up to the right wing of his party. He's uncomfortable with it sure, and will happily give a quote to reporters to show how much of a maverick he is, but he'll never do something as brave as vote against Trump's policies or nominees. Or really do anything besides lip service.

The only principle McCain has is a raging hard-on for the military industrial complex.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2017, 09:25:30 PM »

I agree. McCain has shown himself to want the maverick cred but he has never shown himself to demonstrate principle in difficult times. I would vote for McCain but let's say that after 2008, I became disillusioned by him.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies