Rep. Tom Reed (R, NY-23) fiercely criticized at town hall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:45:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep. Tom Reed (R, NY-23) fiercely criticized at town hall
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rep. Tom Reed (R, NY-23) fiercely criticized at town hall  (Read 1594 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2017, 04:30:43 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tom-reed-town-hall_us_58a889e4e4b07602ad55317d

Obligatory reminder that this seat was only 50-48 Romney.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 04:37:58 PM »

Also 55-40 Trump.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 04:40:32 PM »

This has become a pattern at this point.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 07:25:37 PM »

It'd be interesting to do a deep dive on how much of this is previous nonvoters vs Obama '12 voters swinging right
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 07:38:11 PM »

I almost wish I didn't have such an awesome congresswoman (Karen Bass) so that I could attend one of these confrontational town halls.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 07:59:27 PM »

Tom Reed barely survived in 2012 against a Democrat that wasn't that well-known, Nate Shinagawa.  The district lines are still the same. 

If Tom keeps it up, he's toast.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »

Do we really need a thread for every time this happens?
Yes
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 08:35:47 PM »

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 08:58:32 PM »

Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 09:16:30 PM »

There are WAY too many Republican Congressmen from New York right now.

Specifically Districts 1, 2, 19, 21, 22 & 24

Reed's district is more Republican at the Presidential level so it's not as glaringly wrong that he's in office.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 09:44:58 PM »

Tom Reed was a primary Trump supporter -- trash, basically, who deserves to lose to a Democrat. Very good to see this kind of thing.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 11:34:25 PM »

Tom Reed barely survived in 2012 against a Democrat that wasn't that well-known, Nate Shinagawa.  The district lines are still the same. 

Would Shinagawa be willing to run again?
Eharding

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 12:40:29 AM »

Tom Reed was a primary Trump supporter -- trash, basically, who deserves to lose to a Democrat. Very good to see this kind of thing.

-He primary endorsed Trump because he'd have a much better chance of staying in office with Trump at the helm than Mitt.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 12:43:29 AM »

The PVI of this district is kind of misleading, it's a combination of heavily Republican rural areas that probably swung toward Trump along with Ithaca. Ithaca prevents it from being too Republican but the district is heavily polarized and there's not a whole lot a Democrat could gain in Ithaca. Of course one possibility is Ithaca turnout surges and rural turnout craters, very likely in a bad Trump midterm.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 01:29:07 AM »

-He primary endorsed Trump because he'd have a much better chance of staying in office with Trump at the helm than Mitt.

Trump and Mitt never ran against each other, so this is kind of a false choice. Reed had a choice between Trump or 15 different at least mildly better Republicans (and Christie, Trump's fellow big-government Republican). He picked Trump; like all others who picked Trump in the primaries, he deserves to lose and be purged from the political system. While it's not a position I hold, I do think a reasonable person could've chosen Trump over Hillary; I don't think a reasonable person, of really any ideological outlook besides "big-government/authoritarian Republican" and "intentional wrecker" could've voted Trump in the primary, and I'd like to see the party cleared of both groups. Really, ideally, the country.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 01:57:51 AM »

I almost wish I didn't have such an awesome congresswoman (Karen Bass Pramila Jayapal) so that I could attend one of these confrontational town halls.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 03:52:25 AM »

Tom Reed barely survived in 2012 against a Democrat that wasn't that well-known, Nate Shinagawa.  The district lines are still the same.  

2012:
Reed: 51.9%
Shinagawa: 48.1%

2014:
Reed: 62.6%
Robertson: 37.4%

2016:
Reed: 58.1%
Plumb: 41.9%

Plumb and Robertson were fairly decent recruits as well.

Problem is while D's get a decent floor from Ithaca, the rural areas vote like Appalachia.
Eharding

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »

Trump and Mitt never ran against each other, so this is kind of a false choice. Reed had a choice between Trump or 15 different at least mildly better Republicans (and Christie, Trump's fellow big-government Republican). He picked Trump; like all others who picked Trump in the primaries, he deserves to lose and be purged from the political system. While it's not a position I hold, I do think a reasonable person could've chosen Trump over Hillary; I don't think a reasonable person, of really any ideological outlook besides "big-government/authoritarian Republican" and "intentional wrecker" could've voted Trump in the primary, and I'd like to see the party cleared of both groups. Really, ideally, the country.

-You really don't seem to understand much about the 14 million people who voted for Trump. Yes, Trump and Mitt did run against each other, with Mitt taking the form of Liddle Marco Rubio. Cruz was too conservative to win the district; Kasich didn't have the same rural appeal (though he still would have likely won it).

What kind of "big government Republican" picks Mulvaney as budget director? Portman is about as big-government as you can get.

I still have difficulty understanding why Blacks and Hispanics voted HRC in the primary.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 01:04:16 PM »

Good that people are protesting the Trump goons. First step to putting them in retirement in future elections. A sustained opposition will eventually win and overturn many of the retarded things Trump is doing. Also saving us from an autocratic dictator, too.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 01:08:54 PM »

I almost wish I didn't have such an awesome congresswoman (Karen Bass Pramila Jayapal Keith Ellison) so that I could attend one of these confrontational town halls.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 02:23:38 PM »

I almost wish I didn't have such an awesome congresswoman (Karen Bass Pramila Jayapal Keith EllisonDerek Kilmer) so that I could attend one of these confrontational town halls.

Four town halls over the next month, plus another one over Skype.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 02:28:58 PM »

Barbara Comstock is so savvy, she avoids this by not holding town halls at all.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 06:44:41 PM »

The PVI of this district is kind of misleading, it's a combination of heavily Republican rural areas that probably swung toward Trump along with Ithaca. Ithaca prevents it from being too Republican but the district is heavily polarized and there's not a whole lot a Democrat could gain in Ithaca. Of course one possibility is Ithaca turnout surges and rural turnout craters, very likely in a bad Trump midterm.

...or that Republican support in rural areas craters.

Does anyone think that Donald Trump is any more knowledgeable about agricultural issues than he is about defense or foreign policy? 

2017 is beginning to look like another "Year Without a Winter"... see also 2012, when the usual blizzards that leave behind heavy snows that blanket the Corn Belt  and protect the ground water while melting late in the spring just in time to allow copious soil moisture for germinating grain crops. Although summer 2012 was not really dry, the corn crop was much below average. I can imagine southern Michigan looking much like the northern San Joaquin Valley of California with yellowed laws (which also reduced our lawn mowing). But streams were low, suggesting a low water table.

Global warming cause poor crop yields and will hit farmers in their bank accounts, and what has usually been a reliable constituency for Republicans could turn on the GOP.   

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 06:52:46 PM »

-You really don't seem to understand much about the 14 million people who voted for Trump. Yes, Trump and Mitt did run against each other, with Mitt taking the form of Liddle Marco Rubio. Cruz was too conservative to win the district; Kasich didn't have the same rural appeal (though he still would have likely won it).

Rubio's support was superficially similar to Romney's in some areas, but not everywhere. He was much weaker in New England, for instance; hypothetical polls released in December showed Romney could've defeated Trump outright in New Hampshire.

What kind of "big government Republican" picks Mulvaney as budget director? Portman is about as big-government as you can get.

A Republican with a stated desire of spending hundreds of billions on massive wasteful infrastructure projects. Portman, who has crafted numerous trade deals with foreign nations that broke down governmental barriers, has actually worked to make the government smaller. (Mulvaney, I'll grant you, is a good guy, but he's going to find himself fundamentally overruled in this administration).

I still have difficulty understanding why Blacks and Hispanics voted HRC in the primary.

Because she has a long record of appealing to and fighting for them on issues they care about? It's clear that black and Hispanic turnout would've really cratered had Sanders been the nominee.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 06:57:35 PM »

I'm pretty confident, by the way, that had Mitt actually run, the mixture of being much stronger in New England and the rural West than Rubio, while simultaneously much weaker among religious conservatives (and caucus-goers; remember, Rubio won MN, which Romney lost to Santorum) in the South, would've been pretty terrible for Trump -- Mitt could've more-or-less matched Rubio in Iowa, stolen both NH and NV from Trump, while bleeding hard enough in South Carolina to push the state to Cruz. Trump would've still entered the primaries first-place in the national popular vote, but with much better spread to his opposition, he would've quickly fallen apart, not winning any states until Super Tuesday and only a few Southern ones even then.

The race would probably have narrowed to a Romney v. Cruz fight, which I suspect would've basically become a replay or Romney v. Santorum, with narrow victories in Midwestern states finally culminating in massive triumphs in the Northeast that push Cruz out.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies