8 people flee U.S border patrol to seek asylum in Canada
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 10:44:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  8 people flee U.S border patrol to seek asylum in Canada
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 8 people flee U.S border patrol to seek asylum in Canada  (Read 1451 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2017, 05:26:33 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://reut.rs/2kHXIUu
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 06:08:14 PM »

And nothing about this seems sketch to you? An illegal immigrant leaving the United States is not a refugee.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 06:14:58 PM »

As humans we should be taking care of one another. The United States has currently forgot this so Canada will welcome those who don't feel welcome.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 06:22:24 PM »

Hopefully Canada deports them to wherever they came from before they came to the US. They obviously have no respect for either country.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 07:58:32 PM »

This is what Trump wants, you know. He'd see this headline as a victory.

And yeah... and illegal immigrant is not a refugee.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 08:04:45 PM »

Are they fleeing because they're afraid they'll get deported because of their status? Because If so I don't think this was a good idea. If it's true that they are here illegally, they were probably better off in Delaware. Canada is under no obligation to grant Americans, illegal or otherwise, refugee status.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 08:12:24 PM »

As humans we should be taking care of one another. The United States has currently forgot this so Canada will welcome those who don't feel welcome.

Have fun taking care of everyone in sub Saharan Africa. The end result is everyone including you living in a shack like we're in Lagos.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 08:35:37 PM »

Have fun taking care of everyone in sub Saharan Africa. The end result is everyone including you living in a shack like we're in Lagos.

Cashew
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 08:52:09 PM »

Brilliant counterargument!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 08:53:02 PM »

Now they're Canada's problem.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 09:06:38 PM »

Wow. People fleeing the US to get to Canada.

Does anyone else feeling like reading Harriet Beecher Stowe right now?

This is what the U.S. has come to under Trump. (Not the he's the only one responsible.)

Men with guns and uniforms saying "Papieren bitte" and then chasing women and children, trying to stop them from reaching the border.

We used to be better than this. We should be better than this. I hope we still can be better than this......

I agree with this
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 09:15:02 PM »

I'm not here to make counterarguments. I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 09:21:04 PM »

This is what the U.S. has come to under Trump. (Not the he's the only one responsible.)

Men with guns and uniforms saying "Papieren bitte" and then chasing women and children, trying to stop them from reaching the border.

We used to be better than this. We should be better than this. I hope we still can be better than this. Trump supporters, or anyone who *wants* a nation like this, can and should eff off and die.

America in many ways feels like a third world country unfortunately.  You have people without health insurance who are in danger of dying or going bankrupt, millions of homeless men and women in our big cities, lawless gun-nuts carrying their guns everywhere (from schools to churches), a madman as our leader, and now we have the government going after poor brown people.  I live in one of the most progressive cities in the country, but everything that has been happening since Trump got elected worries me.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 09:58:11 PM »

We used to be better than this. We should be better than this. I hope we still can be better than this. Trump supporters, or anyone who *wants* a nation like this, can and should eff off and die.

America in many ways feels like a third world country unfortunately.  You have people without health insurance who are in danger of dying or going bankrupt, millions of homeless men and women in our big cities, lawless gun-nuts carrying their guns everywhere (from schools to churches), a madman as our leader, and now we have the government going after poor brown people.  I live in one of the most progressive cities in the country, but everything that has been happening since Trump got elected worries me.

The American homeless population is estimated at being over 500,000. Not millions.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 10:52:45 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2017, 10:54:22 PM by NJ is Better than TX »

Wow, things are so bad people are ACTUALLY going to Canada this time!

I've often wondered what would it look like if me or the people I know had to evacuate to Canada. I guess this is what it looks like - American refugees fleeing from an uncertain fate.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 10:59:46 PM »

I agree. America is like a third world country. Our wages and our standards of living have been slowly declining for at least 4 decades. Part of the reason for this is the greed of the capitalist class. Another (closely related) reason is that we keep allowing massive numbers of third world poor people to come live here, drive down wages, and disproportionately use our limited social services. Cutting down or eliminating immigration will actually help to fix this problem.

Seriously, it's crazy how you can complain about the US being too third world in one breathe and then say we need to let more third worlds in in the next. Them two things is connected.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 11:16:31 PM »

Huh, someone did leave to go to Canada.
Jeffster
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 02:40:21 AM »

I agree. America is like a third world country. Our wages and our standards of living have been slowly declining for at least 4 decades. Part of the reason for this is the greed of the capitalist class. Another (closely related) reason is that we keep allowing massive numbers of third world poor people to come live here, drive down wages, and disproportionately use our limited social services. Cutting down or eliminating immigration will actually help to fix this problem.

Seriously, it's crazy how you can complain about the US being too third world in one breathe and then say we need to let more third worlds in in the next. Them two things is connected.

I can't stand that the modern left in the US has become synonymous with open borders and free trade. I want higher taxes on the wealthy, and universal healthcare, and more labor unions for our workers so our working class citizens can have better lives. But as long as you allow trade deals with nations that undermine our standards, and allow millions of immigrants to come in and undercut our own citizens driving down wages, we will never get there.

Too many on the modern left have become blinded by the wealthy 1% into thinking that we can have open borders and free trade with nations like China and somehow have a thriving middle class and less wealth disparity. They are too stupid to see they are being played for fools by the wealthy. 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 02:49:55 AM »

This happens at the Austrian-Italian snowed-in mountain border all the time.

Mostly involving Africans who came via Italy and want to travel on North.

Tyrolian border agents stopped and ID'd about 12.000 illegal immigrants alone last year (Tyrol has 750.000 inhabitants).

Some were even crushed to death or frozen to death when they they were hiding on freight trains during -25°C in the night ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 03:00:48 AM »

The border patrol officer did nothing wrong here.

In fact, it is his job to chase them, ID them and try to arrest them if they were in the country illegally.

If you are working at the border and some group of 8 jumps out of a taxi with massive luggage and try to sneak over to Canada, of course you go after them ... otherwise you'll risk your job.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 09:05:17 AM »

In fact, it is his job to chase them, ID them and try to arrest them if they were in the country illegally.

If you are working at the border and some group of 8 jumps out of a taxi with massive luggage and try to sneak over to Canada, of course you go after them ... otherwise you'll risk your job.

He was only following orders!

That's beside the point. This is not about what the border agents did. It's about the image of a family running away from the United States through the snow. It's about the fact that a nation that has immigration, acceptance, and freedom as keys to its national myth has become a place refugees flee in fear. And how the response of its self-declared most "patriotic" (ha!) citizens to that is cheers and jeers.

Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 09:10:55 AM »

They are refugees only if Canada grants them asylum. Until then they are asylum seekers, and we on this forum have no information on whether their application for asylum is justified or not.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 10:51:05 AM »

good luck with that!  And when are you going to change your laws to reflect this boneheaded idea of accepting everybody the US rejects?  'cause that's certainly not how it is now in Canada.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 12:29:37 PM »

I'm not here to make counterarguments. I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.
lol
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 12:42:55 PM »

He was only following orders! the law.

Ftfy
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies