Tulsi Gabbard v. John McCain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:08:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Tulsi Gabbard v. John McCain
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for in a hypothetical presidential election between these 2?
Gabbard

McCain

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Tulsi Gabbard v. John McCain  (Read 1653 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 05:49:02 PM »

McCain if Gabbard remains pro-choice, but easy Gabbard vote otherwise

I justnoticed your signature. I love this idea that "wiping out abortion" is possible.

The point is to reduce their numbers.  Before the widespread liberalization of abortion laws culminating in Roe v. Wade in the early '70s, abortion rates were very low.  And it is a well-documented fact that the leaders of pro-abortion groups inflated the number of

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/graphusabrate.html

My point is that if a politician supports abortion, then under the vast majority of circumstances they will never have my vote, even if I like most of their other positions.

I agree that we should reduce the number of abortions. But this idea that there is a magic bullet to "get rid of abortion" is silly.
But things like trying to "end poverty" or "end starvation" are still noble goals to try to accomplish. Although we will likely never see the end of abortion, we should still try to make it unnecessary.

Fair points, I guess. I interpreted RFayette's signature as purely a call to repeal Roe v. Wade but if it's a call to generally work towards the goal of eliminating abortion. That said, the methods here are very important; where I disagree with RFayette is that I don't support simply telling people who need abortions that they can't get abortions; rather, I think abortion numbers should be lowered by other means (increasing access to birth control, improving people's economic conditions, etc.).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2017, 05:54:35 PM »

This, but highly reluctantly.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 05:57:40 PM »

White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 07:53:59 PM »

I justnoticed your signature. I love this idea that "wiping out abortion" is possible.

The point is to reduce their numbers.  Before the widespread liberalization of abortion laws culminating in Roe v. Wade in the early '70s, abortion rates were very low.  And it is a well-documented fact that the leaders of pro-abortion groups inflated the number of

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/graphusabrate.html

My point is that if a politician supports abortion, then under the vast majority of circumstances they will never have my vote, even if I like most of their other positions.

I agree that we should reduce the number of abortions. But this idea that there is a magic bullet to "get rid of abortion" is silly.
But things like trying to "end poverty" or "end starvation" are still noble goals to try to accomplish. Although we will likely never see the end of abortion, we should still try to make it unnecessary.

Fair points, I guess. I interpreted RFayette's signature as purely a call to repeal Roe v. Wade but if it's a call to generally work towards the goal of eliminating abortion. That said, the methods here are very important; where I disagree with RFayette is that I don't support simply telling people who need abortions that they can't get abortions; rather, I think abortion numbers should be lowered by other means (increasing access to birth control, improving people's economic conditions, etc.).
I can get behind that. I am pro-life in the sense that I want to see the number of abortions decrease, whether it is through legislation or eliminating the circumstances that cause it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 11:02:10 PM »

Same as wiping out murder, and poverty.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2017, 12:24:27 AM »

Same as wiping out murder, and poverty.

True. I addressed this in my above posts.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies