Are american high schools like how they are on TV and films? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:00:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are american high schools like how they are on TV and films? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are american high schools like how they are on TV and films?  (Read 1114 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« on: February 19, 2017, 10:16:20 AM »

Of course! Gotta get the people out for The Big Game in a way they won't forget

[Basketball is dress shirt and tie though. We're not animals.]
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 12:51:30 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2017, 12:56:19 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

I will give my personal experience of my high school, which was in Iowa City.  It was about 70% White, 15% Black, 10% Asian and 5% Hispanic.  It had about 1,750 kids when I graduated (2010), now it's over 2,000.  Reguarly ranks as one of the best high schools in Iowa.  Public school.  Average ACT was 26 my senior year.

Anywho, the short answer is no, but those stereotypes also exist for a reason.  High school football and basketball games were certainly fun, and most everyone in the "cool" crowd (and most who weren't) went.  It was a social outing, and people would often do something after.  However, I think someone wearing his letterman jacket around might be kind of made fun of as being cliche.  People would regularly mock high school movie stereotypes, and we defied many (hardly anyone on the football team was overly popular, as they sucked, and our cheerleaders were DEFINITELY not up to stereotype, LOL), but at the same time, I can name one person who was "popular" who didn't play a sport.  It definitely helped your "status" as lame as that sounds.

I'd say the movies have it comically wrong, but those jokes (which are meant to be exaggerated often) are often based off of reality, haha.

I didn't realize Iowa considered itself ahead of style trends! I know New Jersey is one of the top states for high school football, but come on. I rarely met someone who didn't wear that everywhere! And I went to a cellar dweller in a middling league!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies