AmeriCorps, Senior Corps, & entire National Service org might be eliminated!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:38:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AmeriCorps, Senior Corps, & entire National Service org might be eliminated!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AmeriCorps, Senior Corps, & entire National Service org might be eliminated!  (Read 3079 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2017, 12:06:05 AM »
« edited: February 20, 2017, 12:26:33 AM by Blue3 »

AmeriCorps is part of CNCS (Corporation for National & Community Service), and there are  hundreds of AmeriCorps programs. It's basically the domestic Peace Corps.

CNCS and AmeriCorps were created by George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton (remember the "Thousand Points of Light"?) It also absorbed the VISTA program created by President Johnson as a domestic Peace Corps (which can really be used to describe all of AmeriCorps).

AmeriCorps has 3 branches:
1. State Members or National Members – focus on direct service (like tutoring, college/career counseling, veterans assistance, elderly care, conservations corps, etc.)
2. VISTA’s (Volunteers in Service to America) – focus on capacity-building, program development, data, community outreach, etc.
3. NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps) - focus on direct service, specific & short projects of 4-10 weeks (ex: urban & rural development, infrastructure improvement, environment stewardship, disaster relief, etc.)

AmeriCorps is all about local communities, nonprofits, and public agencies applying for help with either direct service or capacity building, and in response getting AmeriCorps members assigned to them for a specific job. It's a grassroots approach to serve those in need.

It also benefits its service-oriented members. Many, but not all, AmeriCorps Member positions are geared towards those aged 18-24, as a sort of modern CCC from the New Deal era.
AmeriCorps Members may also receive up to 2 Segal Education Awards (of about $5800 each, tied to the Pell Grant), with one full award for completing one full term of service (for VISTAs that's 365 days, for the State/National/NCCC members it's usually at least 1700 hours within 10 months). In addition to a living stipend (which doesn't vary, but if you're working a normal 40-hours week, pays about $4-5/hour for State/National/VISTA and about $1-2/hour for NCCC Corps Members besides Team Leaders).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This statistic is a little outdated, but definitely helps explain the scope of the difference AmeriCorps makes, with just this one example:

And some more:

If you're curious about which positions AmeriCorps is currently offering in your state (or around the country):
https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/publicRequestSearch.do;jsessionid=T2hZ3OvRMrxQ1oNygUJqCOxTRg-Osvo_5g19EK7eLkbcS2p9bDZ1!1796873862

Last year, AmeriCorps passed the 1 million milestone, for the number who have joined since its creation in the 1990's.

The CNCS website:
https://www.nationalservice.gov/

Also, besides AmeriCorps (btw, like how Peace Corps is pronounced "peace cor", AmeriCorps is pronounced "ameri-cor", the "-ps" is silent),

there is also Senior Corps, which connects Senior Citizens to volunteer work needed in their communities while giving them some benefits.

CNCS also runs the Social Innovation Fund and the Volunteer Generation Fund.

CNCS has received bipartisan support over the years, starting with a vision of "One Thousand Points of Light" by George H.W. Bush, made into reality by Bill Clinton, strengthened by George W. Bush and proposed expansion by Barack Obama (thought the expansion was never fully-funded).

CNCS is the leading organization and voice for National Service within our country.

Why am I sharing this?

Besides these organizations being so underreported in general...

AmeriCorps, Senior Corps, and the entire CNCS are reported to be eliminated in Trump's new budget.

This site has been created as a very quick and very easy way to write to your Congressman and 2 Senators on this issue. Please check it out:

http://voicesforservice.org/take-action/contact-congress/

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:29:10 AM »

Why Pussygrabber (and his cult) would want to cancel it is pretty obvious.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 12:51:16 AM »

They're like cartoon villains.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 12:53:50 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2017, 12:57:53 AM by Blue3 »

Also, the budget for CNCS is only $1.05 billion.

The total US budget is $3.7 Trillion.

That's a very, very small fraction.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 01:12:21 AM »

Thanks TRUMP!
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 02:54:10 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2017, 02:58:00 AM by J_American »

Also, the budget for CNCS is only $1.05 billion.

The total US budget is $3.7 Trillion.

That's a very, very small fraction.

Cut the $1.05 billion CNCS budget; increase the military budget by hundreds of billions; cut taxes on the wealthy and corporations; eliminate the cost effective ObamaCare; toss in a multi billion dollar border wall; sprinkle in a little alternative math and... voila! The federal deficit is gone!
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 03:42:37 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2017, 03:50:55 AM by Potus »

I've got an awful lot of experience working with Americorps. The proper approach to Americorps would be, to borrow a Senate Democrat talking point, "mend it, don't end it." I would like to see a lot of the bureaucracy, paperwork, and regulatory burden associated with Americorps drawn down and re-evaluated. I would actually like to see the line item stay the same size, even after reducing the workforce responsible for administering the program, therefore increasing funds available for mission-centered expenditure.

EDIT: Just to elaborate, the law authorizing Americorp itself is 181 pages. There are over 30 headings' worth of regulations to manage Americorps. On top of that, the Terms and Conditions of funding are exhaustive, with two components for grants after 2015. Additionally, we are a few months out from the 2017 summer season, which I believe is busy for Americorps, and the specific terms, conditions, and regulations for 2017 grants haven't been issued yet.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 01:56:41 PM »

I've got an awful lot of experience working with Americorps. The proper approach to Americorps would be, to borrow a Senate Democrat talking point, "mend it, don't end it." I would like to see a lot of the bureaucracy, paperwork, and regulatory burden associated with Americorps drawn down and re-evaluated. I would actually like to see the line item stay the same size, even after reducing the workforce responsible for administering the program, therefore increasing funds available for mission-centered expenditure.

EDIT: Just to elaborate, the law authorizing Americorp itself is 181 pages. There are over 30 headings' worth of regulations to manage Americorps. On top of that, the Terms and Conditions of funding are exhaustive, with two components for grants after 2015. Additionally, we are a few months out from the 2017 summer season, which I believe is busy for Americorps, and the specific terms, conditions, and regulations for 2017 grants haven't been issued yet.

Do you have an example of some of these regulations that need to be done away with?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »

And the new budget does call for their elimination, after all.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 12:17:10 PM »

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 02:39:56 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 05:08:54 PM »

There's always money for serving your country by killing random civilians, though.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 05:35:52 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2017, 05:41:04 PM by Senator Scott »

Suppose these programs are actually eliminated, what happens after Trump and thugs get voted out of office?  Can the funding be restored very easily?

Actually, do the programs themselves disappear necessarily due to lack of funding, or are they likely to get private subsidies and donations?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 06:51:59 PM »

Suppose these programs are actually eliminated, what happens after Trump and thugs get voted out of office?  Can the funding be restored very easily?

Actually, do the programs themselves disappear necessarily due to lack of funding, or are they likely to get private subsidies and donations?
Some programs like City Year might survive with deep cuts.

NCCC was almost entirely shutdown during the government shutdown, so that would probably end.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 07:00:09 PM »

I don't agree with these cuts. However, do most Americans know about AmeriCorps and National Service? Like I said, cuts need to be across the board. Both parties have their targets. Republicans like to target the EPA and Energy, Democrats like to target the military.

I will call both parties out--period.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 07:03:50 PM »

I don't agree with these cuts. However, do most Americans know about AmeriCorps and National Service? Like I said, cuts need to be across the board. Both parties have their targets. Republicans like to target the EPA and Energy, Democrats like to target the military.

dood omg we get it. seriously.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 07:14:24 PM »

NCCC was almost entirely shutdown during the government shutdown, so that would probably end.

That's a real fcking shame because I've been seriously considering public service after college.  Apparently serving one's country is only valuable if you're carrying an AK-47 with you.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 07:18:17 PM »

That's a real fcking shame because I've been seriously considering public service after college.  Apparently serving one's country is only valuable if you're carrying an AK-47 with you.

It's not all bad. On the flip side, I'm sure that under Trump, there will be lots of intern positions with the Minuteman Project!

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 07:26:30 PM »

Lol, sure. I shouldn't be indulging you, but when have you EVER called Republicans out? Name one time that a Democrat did something generally met with disapproval, and your response was "both sides do it." Pics or it didn't happen.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 07:30:54 PM »

Why don't they just shut the whole government down and let Trump's companies run everything?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 07:36:46 PM »

In conclusion, although one restaurant gave me and my family crippling food poisoning that nearly killed us, the other served a "medium" steak when I ordered a "rare". Two stars apiece.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 08:45:58 PM »

I'm sure there are still a lot of service oriented things you could do.  You might just have to get a bit more creative with your search.  Trump and his goons aren't smart enough to be able to get rid of everything.  I'd recommend talking to your career center about it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies