Populist correctness: the new PC culture of Trump's America and Brexit Britain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:00:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Populist correctness: the new PC culture of Trump's America and Brexit Britain
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Do you believe Populist Correctness is real and the new version of PC?
It's real and worse than "Political Correctness"

It's real, but no worse than Political Correctness

It's not real

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Populist correctness: the new PC culture of Trump's America and Brexit Britain  (Read 3783 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 05:28:30 AM »
« edited: February 21, 2017, 05:48:25 AM by Senator Scott »

We can end political correctness and start doing the same thing to rural blue collar whites that we say to inner city blacks. Why should we tell them we're going to bring their jobs back? Maybe we should tell them to work harder, get education or job training and pull themselves up by the bootstraps because the government doesn't owe them money and they're just lazy for not working or having jobs???

Or at least move to where people are hiring. They usually make an excuse that they have family or something where they are...staying in a place because of family just doesn't work. I had to move to three cities where I didn't know anyone before.

These rural areas are dying economically because people are moving out of them, especially the young, while the older generations still living in them die out.  It's a problem that jobs are harder to come by in these areas because you're essentially forced to live in a city or a suburb to stay afloat in this economy.  A lot of people don't move either because their financial situation doesn't allow them to, or they simply don't want to leave because they have special ties to the land or prefer the small-town life.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 05:46:32 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2017, 05:48:45 AM by Intell »

We can end political correctness and start doing the same thing to rural blue collar whites that we say to inner city blacks. Why should we tell them we're going to bring their jobs back? Maybe we should tell them to work harder, get education or job training and pull themselves up by the bootstraps because the government doesn't owe them money and they're just lazy for not working or having jobs???

Or at least move to where people are hiring. They usually make an excuse that they have family or something where they are...staying in a place because of family just doesn't work. I had to move to three cities where I didn't know anyone before.

You do realise many people don't have the money to leave, or don't wish to as that's where they're brought up, but of course democrats have adopted, "pull up your bootstraps", anti-working class language of the right, to be anti-trump, and sneer down white people that are poor based on their life situation, as they voted for Trump.

Also, do you have an college education, to leave where you had lived? To Move, is not a solution, for all the self-righteous democratic pric*k holes who state it as a solution.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 06:02:19 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2017, 06:55:18 AM by Senator Scott »

^^ The New Left's near-complete disregard for rural communities is a huge reason I pretty much left the Democratic Party.  I'm mostly a Dem hack because the alternative is far worse.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2017, 08:10:57 AM »

I was wondering when the "too poor to move" left was going to come in and explain to us how hard it is to be poor.  Their years of experience being a poor adult, scratching by, pay check to pay check, personally knowing multiple people who desperately wanted to work and was willing to move for it, but alas....they were all too poor.  Besides, it's much better to not move and stay jobless where the politicians you voted for know you and can continue to screw you over by making you get a cosmologist license just to paint nails or put in weaves.  Plus, it's where your mama was poor, and her mama was poor and her mama was poor, why try and break that cycle by moving someplace with jobs?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 08:14:08 AM »

These rural areas are dying economically because people are moving out of them, especially the young, while the older generations still living in them die out.  It's a problem that jobs are harder to come by in these areas because you're essentially forced to live in a city or a suburb to stay afloat in this economy.  A lot of people don't move either because their financial situation doesn't allow them to, or they simply don't want to leave because they have special ties to the land or prefer the small-town life.

The manufacturing and mining jobs aren't returning in the old numbers. Less labor is necessary for making the stuff that we have. We're getting more done with less material  and with more reliance upon mechanical and even robotic manufacture. The only growth industry in many communities is the nursing home business because instead of keeling over dead people are living long enough to go senile or get Parkinsonism.

The 40-hour workweek may be obsolete.  But cutting back hourly pay while working hours shrink ensures more poverty. Sure, the super-rich get more profit  that they can allow to trickle down. The profit just doesn't trickle.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »

You do realise many people don't have the money to leave, or don't wish to as that's where they're brought up, but of course democrats have adopted, "pull up your bootstraps", anti-working class language of the right, to be anti-trump, and sneer down white people that are poor based on their life situation, as they voted for Trump.

Also, do you have an college education, to leave where you had lived? To Move, is not a solution, for all the self-righteous democratic pric*k holes who state it as a solution.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2017, 09:40:03 AM »

I was wondering when the "too poor to move" left was going to come in and explain to us how hard it is to be poor.  Their years of experience being a poor adult, scratching by, pay check to pay check, personally knowing multiple people who desperately wanted to work and was willing to move for it, but alas....they were all too poor.  Besides, it's much better to not move and stay jobless where the politicians you voted for know you and can continue to screw you over by making you get a cosmologist license just to paint nails or put in weaves.  Plus, it's where your mama was poor, and her mama was poor and her mama was poor, why try and break that cycle by moving someplace with jobs?

arguably the break-up of communities and the atomisation of society is what has led so many to be so bleak about the future of America they vote for Trump and his ilk. I mean, if a former mill town loses all its degree-possessing (or even high-school graduated) and ambitious people to the cities and burgeoning areas, what is left? The people tied down, often those with addictions or lack of education and retirees. And what do those people think, as they see the tax base erode and public facilities dilapidate, the waves of drugs that take ennui-ridden dropouts hostage, the lack of gainful employment anywhere?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2017, 10:03:17 AM »

The alt rights are snowflakes of the highest order who would run screaming to Mommy the minute someone insulted them or looked at them cross eyed. The SJW Left also has this problem but the right has been virulently infected by this diseased lunacy. The SJW left still is a tiny minority.

The alt right would wet their pants at the thought of actually fighting for their ideals openly, which is why they harass people online and anonymously. They're cowards and people who would turn on this country at the drop of a hat.

Radical Islam? 95% of them would be bowing towards Tehran if an actual ISIS fighter was within 50 miles of them. They are plain and simple “cucks.˝

The alt-right is very small.  There also aren't any alt-right professors brainwashing students.

Apparently so small they have political influence in the White House these days and 30% of Republicans who somehow conclude they're under cultural attack.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »

When you pay 80% of your income on rent and the rest on food it's basically impossible for you to work your way out of it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 12:58:55 PM »

My biggest problem with this is that Trumpism is not populism. Far from it. It is no secret that sensitive snowflake syndrome is not exclusive to the left, though. Here's the thing: There are many people who are not PC or SJWs. Then, there are people who will never let you forget it, and constantly brag about how "anti-PC" they are (while using it as an excuse to say extremely idiotic things) and how much they hate language policing. Those folks are often projecting. They are incredibly sensitive and easily offended themselves, and want to police language and silence opinions and facts which they don't like. Trump is the embodiment of this type of projection, since he's the most delicate little snowflake of all, who is constantly butthurt on Twitter.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »

The alt rights are snowflakes of the highest order who would run screaming to Mommy the minute someone insulted them or looked at them cross eyed. The SJW Left also has this problem but the right has been virulently infected by this diseased lunacy. The SJW left still is a tiny minority.

The alt right would wet their pants at the thought of actually fighting for their ideals openly, which is why they harass people online and anonymously. They're cowards and people who would turn on this country at the drop of a hat.

Radical Islam? 95% of them would be bowing towards Tehran if an actual ISIS fighter was within 50 miles of them. They are plain and simple “cucks.˝

The alt-right is very small.  There also aren't any alt-right professors brainwashing students.

Apparently so small they have political influence in the White House these days and 30% of Republicans who somehow conclude they're under cultural attack.

The alt-right would love to think that they are influencing the White House, but they aren't.  Steve Bannon is not part of the alt-right, he just turned Breitbart into a site that panders to the alt-right so that alt-rightists would read it.

The real alt-right are people like Richard Spencer, who have no influence over the white house.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2017, 02:21:51 PM »

When there is so much power in being offended (as there is in modern society), it is only to be expected that people who bring their offendedness into political discourse will have a voice that outstrips their actual representation. The 'alt-right' and the 'SJW left' were irrelevant, but they are loud enough that people are deluded into thinking they matter. Paradoxically this actually causes them to be relevant.

For me, an important step in healing our nation's political discourse is being able to move beyond this deleterious influence. Being offended is not an argument, and those people who profit off an eternal state of being offended should not be granted the privilege to dictate what we do.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2017, 02:51:59 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2017, 05:27:11 PM by Make Pepe Apolitical Again »

I’d like to elaborate a little on what Scott said by pointing out that none of the American power élite—and yes, this includes Trump and his handmaidens in Congress and the right-wing media and the states—are lifting or want to lift a finger to help young people who don’t want to Hack It In The Big City (if they’re left-leaning) or move to the end of a cul-de-sac (if they’re right-leaning). You never see any serious discussion of incentivizing growth industries to move offices into small and mid-sized regional cities to distribute economic opportunity more equitably throughout the country, or supporting the establishment and growth of public libraries and community theaters* and other amenities that make the American hinterland less of a cultural wasteland, or even letting small communities set their own high-speed internet policies to see if they can turn themselves around. Instead, be it for economic or culture-war reasons, both “wings” of the power élite are content to rule rural and small-city America as essentially a vast internal colony from which young adults can be coaxed into Better, More Up-To-Date environments where they can pay four hundred dollars a month to live in a crawlspace (if they’re left-leaning) or take a million-dollar mortgage to live in a monstrosity that looks like Le Corbusier vomited it up after an ill-advised tryst with Ralph Adams Cram (if they’re right-leaning). (Yes, I know these are extreme cases.) This is part of why I switched from a D avatar to an S avatar—I don’t actually believe in “abolishing the distinction between town and country”, but least it’s some kind of alternative to what we’ve been getting.

*One of my earliest memories related to my later interest in Japanese studies is seeing a decent play of the Forty-Seven Rōnin put on in an elementary school gymnasium in a part of Vermont that was at the time still pretty Appalachian in character.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2017, 03:21:19 PM »

My biggest problem with this is that Trumpism is not populism. Far from it. It is no secret that sensitive snowflake syndrome is not exclusive to the left, though. Here's the thing: There are many people who are not PC or SJWs. Then, there are people who will never let you forget it, and constantly brag about how "anti-PC" they are (while using it as an excuse to say extremely idiotic things) and how much they hate language policing. Those folks are often projecting. They are incredibly sensitive and easily offended themselves, and want to police language and silence opinions and facts which they don't like. Trump is the embodiment of this type of projection, since he's the most delicate little snowflake of all, who is constantly butthurt on Twitter.

Precisely, this is why I've been unsympathetic to their whining about political correctness and biased media. Not because such issues aren't real phenomenon worth discussing, but because the most avid proponents for these messages tend to be such blatant examples of the very thing they complain about. Liberals have a grand opportunity here to reflect the anti-PC narrative right back onto conservatives and use it against them if they're smart about it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »

I'm not a fan of "a pox on both your houses"... but everybody is all pissy and overly sensitive while being way desensitized and on edge.  Conservatives, liberals, moderates...

Nobody got as butthurt as conservatives when Hillary called them deplorable.  You can tell because they chortle at each other and wear it proudly... but really it's because they were so particularly butthurt about it.. just like when Obama called them gun and religion clingers (which they are).  They spent his entire administration trying to prove it.. and now they'll spend Trump's administration proving how deplorable they are.

Meanwhile, away from Bullsh**t mountain, over in the house of mirrors, the SJWs are angrily banging into mirrors as they try to find their way out of themselves getting more and more intolerant and more and more militant all the time.

I extrapolate these trends in my head and I don't see anything good coming.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2017, 04:41:39 PM »

The alt-right is very small.  There also aren't any alt-right professors brainwashing students.

The alt-right would love to think that they are influencing the White House, but they aren't.  Steve Bannon is not part of the alt-right, he just turned Breitbart into a site that panders to the alt-right so that alt-rightists would read it.

The real alt-right are people like Richard Spencer, who have no influence over the white house.

Please don't distort what the alt-right are. This smacks of "the alt-right doesn't exist." They do and they are a grave national threat.

They are white nationalists who want immigration restriction, for the sake of cultural purity, and they are deeply Euro-centric nationalists who disfavor globalization. That pretty well fits Bannon and indirectly by extension, Trump. End of story. There is no comma, appended addition, footnote to that.

For the record, I do not ascribe unholy motives to the anti-neoliberal left. That's mostly because they aren't, y'know, bigoted racists in the first place.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2017, 05:20:31 PM »

The alt-right is very small.  There also aren't any alt-right professors brainwashing students.

The alt-right would love to think that they are influencing the White House, but they aren't.  Steve Bannon is not part of the alt-right, he just turned Breitbart into a site that panders to the alt-right so that alt-rightists would read it.

Please don't distort what the alt-right are. This smacks of "the alt-right doesn't exist." They do and they are a grave national threat.

They are white nationalists who want immigration restriction, for the sake of cultural purity, and they are deeply Euro-centric nationalists who disfavor globalization. That pretty well fits Bannon and indirectly by extension, Trump. End of story. There is no comma, appended addition, footnote to that.

This is the modern left. Anyone who doesn't support the unquestionable right of every Somali to move to America and get a free apartment and a living stipend is a Nazi and they should be murdered.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 05:22:33 PM »

This is the modern left. Anyone who doesn't support the unquestionable right of every Somali to move to America and get a free apartment and a living stipend is a Nazi and they should be murdered.

No, and I'm one of the more pro-open borders posters in this forum
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2017, 05:32:07 PM »

For the record, I do not ascribe unholy motives to the anti-neoliberal left. That's mostly because they aren't, y'know, bigoted racists in the first place.

I know that the alt-right exists, I've argued with them since 2015, but I think you are using a definition that is too broad.  Yes, they are white nationalists who want to end all non-white immigration.

However, these people are not the "I'm not racist, I have a friend who is black!" types.  These people are openly racist and proudly exclaim that they think whites are smarter and more moral than blacks and Hispanics (sometimes Asians are okay).  They want to bring back segregation, ban "race-mixing," and some want to limit citizenship to whites.  Even though some think that Asians are an admirable race, they still believe that whites who marry them are "race-traitors."

Beyond this, there is huge disagreement.  Take religion, for example.  Some argue that Christianity is the traditional religion of white people.  Others argue that Christianity is a Jewish conspiracy to undermine the white race, and reject religion altogether.  Others argue that whites should return to worshiping Zeus or Thor.

With economics, I've seen some describe themselves as libertarians.  Others, however, argue that Capitalism and Socialism are both "Jewish conspiracies."  Some say that "Capitalism is cuckoldry."

While anti-globalism is common, there are also people who argue for a United Europe as a white Ethnostate (there is actually a political party that argues this IIRC).

I've wasted many hours arguing with these people because many of them are just easily impressionable teens who I thought could be convinced by logic and reason.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2017, 05:35:43 PM »

Hi! Not a lefty or a liberal on immigration. Thanks in advance. You know, whole world of nuance out there and all that.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2017, 05:42:31 PM »

I know that the alt-right exists, I've argued with them since 2015, but I think you are using a definition that is too broad.  Yes, they are white nationalists who want to end all non-white immigration.

However, these people are not the "I'm not racist, I have a friend who is black!" types.  These people are openly racist and proudly exclaim that they think whites are smarter and more moral than blacks and Hispanics (sometimes Asians are okay).  They want to bring back segregation, ban "race-mixing," and some want to limit citizenship to whites.  Even though some think that Asians are an admirable race, they still believe that whites who marry them are "race-traitors."

Beyond this, there is huge disagreement.  Take religion, for example.  Some argue that Christianity is the traditional religion of white people.  Others argue that Christianity is a Jewish conspiracy to undermine the white race, and reject religion altogether.  Others argue that whites should return to worshiping Zeus or Thor.

With economics, I've seen some describe themselves as libertarians.  Others, however, argue that Capitalism and Socialism are both "Jewish conspiracies."  Some say that "Capitalism is cuckoldry."

While anti-globalism is common, there are also people who argue for a United Europe as a white Ethnostate (there is actually a political party that argues this IIRC).

I've wasted many hours arguing with these people because many of them are just easily impressionable teens who I thought could be convinced by logic and reason.

It's just as useless to argue with people TD as it is to argue with people on the actual alt right. According to TD and the predominant left logic of the day, to say that only a self professed Nazi is a Nazi is an example of Nazi thinking. A "Nazi" isn't just someone who who supports the establishment of a dictatorship where citizenship is dictated along racial lines. A Nazi is anyone to the right of Judith Butler.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2017, 05:59:46 PM »

There is a new unofficial condition for the leftist snowflakes and their deranged mental state.

Link

Pfingsten is not alone in his politics-induced anxiety — it’s so common it’s been given an unofficial name: Post-Election Stress Disorder. Mental health professionals around the country, especially those working in Democratic strongholds, report a stream of patients coming in with anxiety and depression related to — or worsened by — the blast of daily news on the new administration.

I remember the Yale girl. Wonder what that diagnosis is.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2017, 06:14:49 PM »

There is a new unofficial condition for the leftist snowflakes and their deranged mental state.

Link

Pfingsten is not alone in his politics-induced anxiety — it’s so common it’s been given an unofficial name: Post-Election Stress Disorder. Mental health professionals around the country, especially those working in Democratic strongholds, report a stream of patients coming in with anxiety and depression related to — or worsened by — the blast of daily news on the new administration.

It's almost like people with enough imagination and intelligence to be able to clearly perceive the world around them or who have rational expectations of the future, are worried at the prospect of having a deranged and sociopathic manbaby playing at being President while a collection of willfully ignorant (and stupid) cultists along with a handful of greedy billionaires do their best to wreck the nation.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2017, 06:16:19 PM »

Link

You mean like Republicans in 2009?
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2017, 06:18:06 PM »

Link

You mean like Republicans in 2009?

Or in 2012.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies