Populist correctness: the new PC culture of Trump's America and Brexit Britain (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:53:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Populist correctness: the new PC culture of Trump's America and Brexit Britain (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you believe Populist Correctness is real and the new version of PC?
It's real and worse than "Political Correctness"

It's real, but no worse than Political Correctness

It's not real

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Populist correctness: the new PC culture of Trump's America and Brexit Britain  (Read 3827 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: February 20, 2017, 11:27:48 PM »
« edited: February 20, 2017, 11:41:36 PM by Make Pepe Apolitical Again »

Option 1, but two things, both of which relate to something I talked about at some length in the recent past:

1. Enormous numbers of people having to leave everyone they know behind and move all over creation in order to have a materially decent life is, in the aggregate, roundly not a state of affairs that we as a people should be accepting of or resigned to, even if we have to recommend it as a course of action to individuals.
2. Just because you can see that your political and cultural adversaries live in a bubble doesn't mean that you don't live in one too. Thinking that it does is endemic on the Trumpist right and I don't want to see that thinking metastasize onto the anti-Trump left if we can avoid it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 02:51:59 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2017, 05:27:11 PM by Make Pepe Apolitical Again »

I’d like to elaborate a little on what Scott said by pointing out that none of the American power élite—and yes, this includes Trump and his handmaidens in Congress and the right-wing media and the states—are lifting or want to lift a finger to help young people who don’t want to Hack It In The Big City (if they’re left-leaning) or move to the end of a cul-de-sac (if they’re right-leaning). You never see any serious discussion of incentivizing growth industries to move offices into small and mid-sized regional cities to distribute economic opportunity more equitably throughout the country, or supporting the establishment and growth of public libraries and community theaters* and other amenities that make the American hinterland less of a cultural wasteland, or even letting small communities set their own high-speed internet policies to see if they can turn themselves around. Instead, be it for economic or culture-war reasons, both “wings” of the power élite are content to rule rural and small-city America as essentially a vast internal colony from which young adults can be coaxed into Better, More Up-To-Date environments where they can pay four hundred dollars a month to live in a crawlspace (if they’re left-leaning) or take a million-dollar mortgage to live in a monstrosity that looks like Le Corbusier vomited it up after an ill-advised tryst with Ralph Adams Cram (if they’re right-leaning). (Yes, I know these are extreme cases.) This is part of why I switched from a D avatar to an S avatar—I don’t actually believe in “abolishing the distinction between town and country”, but least it’s some kind of alternative to what we’ve been getting.

*One of my earliest memories related to my later interest in Japanese studies is seeing a decent play of the Forty-Seven Rōnin put on in an elementary school gymnasium in a part of Vermont that was at the time still pretty Appalachian in character.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 07:34:05 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2017, 07:41:44 PM by Make Pepe Apolitical Again »

It's almost like people with enough imagination and intelligence to be able to clearly perceive the world around them or who have rational expectations of the future, are worried at the prospect of having a deranged and sociopathic manbaby playing at being President while a collection of willfully ignorant (and stupid) cultists along with a handful of greedy billionaires do their best to wreck the nation.

Yeah, aren't the Republicans the ones who are supposed to be pointing out that Elections Have Consequences right now? Mocking the idea of adverse political landscapes taking a psychological toll on people seems like an oddly post-ideological technocratic Smiley Smiley Smiley attitude for a Trump handmaiden like krazen.

But then, krazen doesn't appear to have any actual beliefs or values that can't be reduced to contempt for his self-appointed enemies.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies