Take ten years off Bernie's age; how strong a position would he be in?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:59:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Take ten years off Bernie's age; how strong a position would he be in?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Take ten years off Bernie's age; how strong a position would he be in?  (Read 676 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2017, 08:53:46 AM »

Probably not much better in polling terms, but the general narrative would have him as the clear frontrunner.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:19:09 AM »

He would easily be the frontrunner for the nomination if he were even five years younger.  But 79 (his age on Election Day 2020) is really pushing it, so that downgrades the chances of him running from what they would be for a younger version of him.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:52:25 AM »

Unfortunately, a very, very strong position
History505
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 10:09:43 AM »

Bernie Sanders knows it's too early to be discussing or even thinking about 2020. His wife Jane said, "Will talk about 2020 election in 2019". He will be 79, but it's all about his passion to run, we'll see what he decides when the time comes.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »

Bernie Sanders knows it's too early to be discussing or even thinking about 2020.

Yeah, right.  Tongue

Trust me, these guys are already thinking about 2020.  Not just Sanders, but Warren, Booker, Gillibrand....all of them.  Not that I blame them, but "It's too early to think about that" is a convenient lie that they all tell in order to not appear too eager to move on from their current jobs.  This is especially necessary for those who are up in 2018, and have to go through the fiction of being interested in serving another complete term rather than move on to a presidential campaign a few months after being reelected.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 11:01:05 AM »

Bernie Sanders knows it's too early to be discussing or even thinking about 2020.

Yeah, right.  Tongue

Trust me, these guys are already thinking about 2020.  Not just Sanders, but Warren, Booker, Gillibrand....all of them.  Not that I blame them, but "It's too early to think about that" is a convenient lie that they all tell in order to not appear too eager to move on from their current jobs.  This is especially necessary for those who are up in 2018, and have to go through the fiction of being interested in serving another complete term rather than move on to a presidential campaign a few months after being reelected.

Indeed.
And yes, he would be the clear frontrunner and I think that the narrative would add a lot to his poll numbers. Narrative matters, after all. Warren would probably be considered unlikely to run.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 11:20:59 AM »

Another fun question: Would Biden be the frontrunner if he were five years younger?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 11:25:53 AM »

Another fun question: Would Biden be the frontrunner if he were five years younger?

I suspect he would be in Warren's position- at the lead in most polls, but still not a sure thing, and also thought by some as unlikely to run.
History505
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2017, 11:58:44 AM by History505 »

Yeah, right.  Tongue

Trust me, these guys are already thinking about 2020.  Not just Sanders, but Warren, Booker, Gillibrand....all of them.  Not that I blame them, but "It's too early to think about that" is a convenient lie that they all tell in order to not appear too eager to move on from their current jobs.  This is especially necessary for those who are up in 2018, and have to go through the fiction of being interested in serving another complete term rather than move on to a presidential campaign a few months after being reelected.

Of course, just basically remove the "thinking" line, and my three sentences would make better sense. Don't why I added thinking, mind a little jumbled this morning.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 01:53:05 PM »

I think he would be at a Hillary Clinton 2016 level of inevitability in 2020.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 02:04:16 PM »

Yeah, at least 50% of US Senators see a future President when they look in the mirror. They're always thinking about it.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 02:29:06 PM »

He's the  anti-Reagan for sure in such  case.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 04:21:55 PM »

The nomination would practically belong to him should he want it, if he were 10 years younger
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 07:37:29 PM »

It would be his. A younger Biden too would be a lock.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies