Are religions that use military power instead of moral authority and persuasion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:31:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Are religions that use military power instead of moral authority and persuasion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Are religions that use military power instead of moral authority and persuasion  (Read 2177 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2017, 05:32:29 PM »

[

That's not the point of Gnosticism, and that's not the point of Candide.

Nice song btw

Denial is hardly a worthy argument on an irrefutable quote.

Regards
DL

So why do you call yourself a Gnostic when you aren't one? Do you think it makes you seem intellectual? Just call yourself a Neoplatonist. There's no shame in that.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2017, 05:41:18 PM »

[

That's not the point of Gnosticism, and that's not the point of Candide.

Nice song btw

Denial is hardly a worthy argument on an irrefutable quote.

Regards
DL

So why do you call yourself a Gnostic when you aren't one? Do you think it makes you seem intellectual? Just call yourself a Neoplatonist. There's no shame in that.

Neo-Platonists come in many flavors just as Gnostic Christianity had many flavors.

I chose Gnostic Christianity due to the morality I saw in it. We are Universalists and a cut above those religions which are homophobic, intolerant and misogynous.

I chose the moral high ground as compared to the mainstream intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions like Christianity and Islam.

Neo-Platonists are not compelled to fight those evils but Gnostic Christians are.

For the evils of the mainstream religions to grow, all good people need do is nothing.

Regards
DL
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2017, 05:41:58 AM »

I chose Gnostic Christianity due to the morality I saw in it. We are Universalists and a cut above those religions which are homophobic, intolerant and misogynous.
Classical Gnosticism, with its belief in a secret knowledge that not all can comprehend, is certainly not Universalist.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2017, 11:20:58 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2017, 11:23:59 AM by Greatest I am »

Classical Gnosticism, with its belief in a secret knowledge that not all can comprehend, is certainly not Universalist.

In those days, we were called mystery schools because God was considered unknowable, unfathomable and working in mysterious ways.

This was before Christians became idol worshipers.

The knowledge was said to be secret as each of us, through Gnosis, would see our internal spark of God differently.

It was not secret knowledge but only knowledge/Gnosis that only the seeker could find within himself.

Scriptures back that notion up.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Further.

John 6 ; 63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Luke 11:52 Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.

Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

As to secret knowledge. Your tradition says that God is unknowable yet your church sure seems to know a lot of the unknowable and that is rather like saying the priests have some secret view of God that you must kiss their ass to get.

Martin Luther killed that idiocy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_qnsTr7I04

Regards
DL

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2017, 01:22:47 PM »

Neo-Platonists are not compelled to fight those evils but Gnostic Christians are.

What? Says who?
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2017, 05:04:08 PM »

What? Says who?

Says this Gnostic Christian of course, unless proven wrong.

Regards
DL
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2017, 05:17:50 PM »

What? Says who?

Regards
DL
And how do you know that this applied to other "Gnostic" Christians?
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2017, 05:22:54 PM »

What? Says who?

Regards
DL

Ask them when you find them.

You will know them as they will use the term demiurge for Yahweh and Allah.

Not a complimentary tern that.

Regards
DL

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2017, 05:28:33 PM »

What? Says who?

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

http://i.imgur.com/6e6UFLc.png
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2017, 05:29:39 PM »

What? Says who?

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

But Neoplatonics CAN be Gnostic, or non-gnostic, Christians
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2017, 06:10:25 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2017, 06:12:40 PM by The Mikado »

"Gnostic" is a useless catch-all label that encompasses many wildly different and contradictory schools of thought and Gnosticism is usually loved by contrarians who love the losing side of history.

In a Gnostic world, Greatest I Am: "Today's Christianity has an elitist focus on secret knowledge and that only a select few can receive salvation through gnosis. The early Christian heresy of "Chalcedonianism" was far more progressive and extended salvation to all without access to special knowledge or study and lacks the elitist class bias of our inferior Gnostic form of Christianity."
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2017, 11:01:51 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2017, 11:06:22 PM by #IAintAfraidOfNoGoats »

Also, if I recall correctly, Gnostic groups like the Paulicans did conquer territory outside of their "homelands". I don't know if they force-converted anyone, but some Gnostics were not adverse to military force.

Duelist for sure but outright Gnostic I'm not sure.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »

What? Says who?

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

But Neoplatonics CAN be Gnostic, or non-gnostic, Christians

Gnostic Christians cannot be non-Gnostic Christian.

It impossible to be for and against the same proposition.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »

"Gnostic" is a useless catch-all label that encompasses many wildly different and contradictory schools of thought and Gnosticism is usually loved by contrarians who love the losing side of history.

In a Gnostic world, Greatest I Am: "Today's Christianity has an elitist focus on secret knowledge and that only a select few can receive salvation through gnosis. The early Christian heresy of "Chalcedonianism" was far more progressive and extended salvation to all without access to special knowledge or study and lacks the elitist class bias of our inferior Gnostic form of Christianity."

There is no secret knowledge, but it is true that only a few reach apotheosis gained through Gnosis or internal meditation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QI3nlinYQ

In meditation, it seems that only a few can reach what sages call oneness with the all.

Gnostic Christian do extended salvation to all as we have tied equality to righteousness. We do not believe in a hell but in a sense do believe in a heaven.

Let me repeat.

Gnostic Christian Jesus said, "If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.
If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.
Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.
[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.
But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

As you can see from that quote, if we see God's kingdom all around us and inside of us, we cannot think that the world is anything but evolving perfection. Most just don't see it and live in poverty. Let me try to make you see the world the way I do.

Here is a mind exercise. Tell me what you see when you look around. The bestthat can possibly be or an ugly and imperfect world?

Candide.
"It is demonstrable that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end.”

That means that we live in the best of all possible worlds, given all the conditions at hand. That is an irrefutable statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOGEyBeoBGM&feature=player_embedded

What do you see when you look around?

The best of all possible world given our past or a world that could somehow be better, given our past.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2017, 11:57:31 AM »

We are indeed contrarian to Christianity and Islam because of their moral position.

They are intolerant, homophobic and misogynous and follow immoral Gods.

If you like intolerance, homophobia and misogyny then you will not be contrarian to those religions. If so, you are not a moral person.

Regards
DL

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies