How would you vote on TARP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:15:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How would you vote on TARP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Aye (D)

Nay (D)

Aye (R)

Nay (R)

Aye (I/O)

Nay (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: How would you vote on TARP?  (Read 1475 times)
🕴🏼Melior🕴🏼
Melior
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2017, 04:46:20 PM »

Aye (D)

I don't get why anyone would oppose this. This undeniably saved us from economic disaster. 
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:00:03 PM »

Aye for obvious reasons. ..the global economy collapsing is reason enough despite the deplorable moral hazards involved.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 05:03:37 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2017, 05:21:10 PM by Eharding »

Obvious Nay; it did absolutely nothing to save us from massive recession (which happened anyway) and was nothing short of robbery of the taxpayer to feed the pockets of fat cats who made bad investment decisions. Absolutely disgusting bit of legislation. There's a reason I have Jackson as my sig.

http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2008/10/the_bailout_wil.html

Pence opposed it, Trump supported. One of the issues I agree with Pence more than I do with Trump.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 05:06:43 PM »

Yes on condition that they would have to pay the federal government the bailout money back , and the government returns that money to the tax payers.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 05:41:07 PM »

Yea, assuming nationalization wouldn't pass congress.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »

Aye.
Hydera

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 06:51:15 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2017, 07:04:52 PM by ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) »

It prevented the economy from collapsing further. I thought TARP was a bad idea at the time. But when i read more into it, the more sense it made because there was no way that if the financial insitutions collapsed further then somehow a quicker economic rebound would happen just like some claim if only TARP was voted down.  Also the TARP money was paid back in full by 2012.
Eharding

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 07:26:55 PM »

It prevented the economy from collapsing further. I thought TARP was a bad idea at the time. But when i read more into it, the more sense it made because there was no way that if the financial insitutions collapsed further then somehow a quicker economic rebound would happen just like some claim if only TARP was voted down.  Also the TARP money was paid back in full by 2012.

-None of this is true. TARP didn't prevent the economy from collapsing further (the recession only ended in mid-2009), the risk of financial collapse was massively overblown, and the TARP money was not paid back in full by 2012.
Hydera

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 07:29:16 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2017, 07:31:38 PM by ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) »

It prevented the economy from collapsing further. I thought TARP was a bad idea at the time. But when i read more into it, the more sense it made because there was no way that if the financial insitutions collapsed further then somehow a quicker economic rebound would happen just like some claim if only TARP was voted down.  Also the TARP money was paid back in full by 2012.

-None of this is true. TARP didn't prevent the economy from collapsing further (the recession only ended in mid-2009), the risk of financial collapse was massively overblown, and the TARP money was not paid back in full by 2012.

http://www.politifact.com/new-hampshire/statements/2012/oct/25/barack-obama/barack-obama-says-banks-paid-back-all-federal-bail/

Also we already tried the let-the-economy-fix-itself libertarian approach in 1928. And by the time Hoover took action it was already too late and unemployment reached up to 25%.
Eharding

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 08:00:23 PM »

It prevented the economy from collapsing further. I thought TARP was a bad idea at the time. But when i read more into it, the more sense it made because there was no way that if the financial insitutions collapsed further then somehow a quicker economic rebound would happen just like some claim if only TARP was voted down.  Also the TARP money was paid back in full by 2012.

http://www.politifact.com/new-hampshire/statements/2012/oct/25/barack-obama/barack-obama-says-banks-paid-back-all-federal-bail/

Also we already tried the let-the-economy-fix-itself libertarian approach in 1928. And by the time Hoover took action it was already too late and unemployment reached up to 25%.

http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2014/04/ive_won_my_tarp.html

-You are seriously trying to analogize the historically specific conditions of the interwar gold standard to the present situation, when none of these specific interwar conditions apply? Seriously?

Also, FDR took the action that mattered (shutting off gold exports in April 1933), not Hoover.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 11:52:56 PM »

Nay. We shouldn't have bailed out the banks who owned underwater mortgages, we should have bailed out the homeowners whose houses were underwater. That way we could have stopped the collapse (as much as TARP did anyway) and prevented people from losing their houses. True, the ought to known better than to sign up for the mortgages in the first place, but that's the banks' fault as much as it is the homeowners. By bailing out the banks we managed to reward bad behavior and screw over the little guy at the same time.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 12:22:45 AM »

Yes, on the condition that all banks receiving funds fired their CEOs and Vice Presidents.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 12:32:56 AM »

Nay. We shouldn't have bailed out the banks who owned underwater mortgages, we should have bailed out the homeowners whose houses were underwater. That way we could have stopped the collapse (as much as TARP did anyway) and prevented people from losing their houses. True, the ought to known better than to sign up for the mortgages in the first place, but that's the banks' fault as much as it is the homeowners. By bailing out the banks we managed to reward bad behavior and screw over the little guy at the same time.

I am inclined to agree with this. Bank bailouts don't sit well with me.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 12:38:46 AM »

I would have voted aye, but I would have worked my butt off to make it stipulated that any bank that took money would be broken up after the crisis concluded.
Eharding

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 12:39:18 AM »

Bailing out the homeowners is also a bad idea, since it would increase implicit government backing for a larger portion of investments. Not entirely sure if it was a better or worse idea than bailing out the bankers; the question is one of incentives. The role of the government should not have been bailing people out, but preventing instability in gross nominal expenditures as far as feasible. That would have smoothed out how the market redirected resources, rather than having the government move them around from the taxpayer to some failed investor for no obvious social benefit.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 12:46:57 AM »

This precisely.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 10:28:18 AM »

Absolutely aye.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 10:36:51 AM »

TARP was essential to save the banking/financial system, but I am still pissed off that the stock of the banks was not seized, and resold, zeroing out the then shareholders of the insolvent banks. Instead, over time they were enriched, as the Feds nursed the banks back to life by loaning them money at about a zero interest rate, and letting them lend it back to the Feds risk free at a higher rate. That sucked. So yes, I would have supported it at the time, but tried hard to get the bill amended as described above.
Eharding

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 02:43:53 PM »

-Tom, you're just a big government Wall Street RINO, and not conservative at all. The majority of the House Republican caucus in 2008 opposed TARP, for good reason:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/110-2008/h681
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 02:59:03 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2017, 03:00:39 PM by DavidB. »

Aye (R, not dogmatic)...

Though this sounds very good to me too:
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 11:34:09 PM »

With the amendment that all mortgages are canceled, yes. R. Glenn Hubbard, Saul N. Ramirez Jr., Steve Preston, and Mary Schapiro should have been put in charge of: (A) breaking up the biggest banks; (B) nationalization and immediate selling of up to one-half of the companies'/banks' stocks; and (C) proper implementation of it.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 11:41:55 PM »

Yes on the condition that anyone who supports it is forbidden from moaning about the budget deficit.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 10:32:51 PM »

no. i think it says a lot that the posters claiming they would vote "yes" are adding all sorts of amendments and other neat little conditions. i might agree to those proposals sure but that's not what we're talking about here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies