The Kalwejt Foundation for the Promotion of Atlas Hilarity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:03:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Kalwejt Foundation for the Promotion of Atlas Hilarity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 86
Author Topic: The Kalwejt Foundation for the Promotion of Atlas Hilarity  (Read 211300 times)
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2017, 06:48:23 AM »

Those with the misfortune of requiring chemotherapy and radiotherapy would likely appreciate if they could buy a cheap policy that only covered conventional treatment for life-threatening illnesses such as cancer, rather than being priced out of the market because their insurance is required to cover services they will never or rarely use such as maternity benefits, mental health, prescription drugs, laboratory work, etc.

The Democrats shut down every grocery store and restaurant that does not offer substantial discounts on caviar, foie gras, halibut, King crab, etc. and then complain that it is too expensive for the poor to buy food.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2017, 06:34:12 PM »

Oh God, EP is here. As Todd Akin would say, time to shut this whole thing down.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2017, 02:37:01 PM »

Another unintentionally hilarious one:

Manchin is losing in the primary anyways.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2017, 04:04:09 PM »

Another unintentionally hilarious one:

Manchin is losing in the primary anyways.
I think he'll win the primary but I hope he loses, for things like f**king over his constituents by being one of four Dems to vote for the Stream Protection Rule repeal, approving idiots like Carson and Perry to Trump's cabinet, and voting in favor of JEFF SESSIONS. Yeah, if I had my way, he should resign.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2017, 04:14:20 PM »

I think he'll win the primary but I hope he loses, for things like f**king over his constituents by being one of four Dems to vote for the Stream Protection Rule repeal, approving idiots like Carson and Perry to Trump's cabinet, and voting in favor of JEFF SESSIONS. Yeah, if I had my way, he should resign.

This is what I don't get - you hope he loses, but you understand who will very likely take his place in the Senate then, right? A Republican who would do all those things you just listed and far more.

The JD candidate is definitely someone I'd like in Manchin's seat (as far as I can tell), but she doesn't seem like a realistic winner in WV at all. Is an anti-coal crusader the best option there? Why can't they run candidates for other lower offices in WV first to see if that kind of candidate can actually win? As much as Manchin may piss liberals off, he still votes with Democrats much more than any Republican would.

If groups like JD start torpedoing Democratic Senate seats in conservative-leaning states in 2018, Democrats are going to be in the Senate minority for many years. The current path back to power in that chamber already requires a multi-cycle effort, and has little room for error.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2017, 06:09:57 PM »

This is what I don't get - you hope he loses, but you understand who will very likely take his place in the Senate then, right? A Republican who would do all those things you just listed and far more.

The JD candidate is definitely someone I'd like in Manchin's seat (as far as I can tell), but she doesn't seem like a realistic winner in WV at all. Is an anti-coal crusader the best option there? Why can't they run candidates for other lower offices in WV first to see if that kind of candidate can actually win? As much as Manchin may piss liberals off, he still votes with Democrats much more than any Republican would.

If groups like JD start torpedoing Democratic Senate seats in conservative-leaning states in 2018, Democrats are going to be in the Senate minority for many years. The current path back to power in that chamber already requires a multi-cycle effort, and has little room for error.

JD?  Don't we have enough lawyers up there?
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2017, 06:27:32 PM »

I obviously think Manchin would be the lesser of two evils against a far-right Republican but I think that the right kind of progressive campaign that focuses more on economic issues could win in WV, especially if they are anti-establishment.
</KyleKulinskiHackRant>
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #182 on: May 10, 2017, 11:40:18 PM »

I obviously think Manchin would be the lesser of two evils against a far-right Republican but I think that the right kind of progressive campaign that focuses more on economic issues could win in WV, especially if they are anti-establishment.
</KyleKulinskiHackRant>

I don't think you know that state at all.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #183 on: May 11, 2017, 12:27:50 AM »

That's all those losers can do, protest. Then when they enter the real world in jobs

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What does this mean? Do you even know? What does it have to do with the topic at hand?

This is especially ironic, given that Betsy Devos is a child of privilege that surely hasn't had to experience "the real world in jobs".
Booing someone because you disagree with someone. There is a reason why millennials are unemployable. They  are spoiled. She shouldn't be Secretary of Education by the way. She should be RNC chair.

Wow, actually reading bronz's posts is a good way to make life interesting.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #184 on: May 11, 2017, 07:27:03 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2017, 07:30:52 AM by Delegate JustinTimeCuber »

</KyleKulinskiHackRant>

You're right, I don't really. But the fact that a room full of Trump voters cheered Bernie's progressive economic agenda could mean something. Not necessarily, but it's worth trying. The approach of running to the right hasn't helped the Dems.
Do you think West Virginians like big business and corporate greed?
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #185 on: May 11, 2017, 09:51:56 AM »

this explains a lot really
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #186 on: May 11, 2017, 04:20:11 PM »

</KyleKulinskiHackRant>

You're right, I don't really. But the fact that a room full of Trump voters cheered Bernie's progressive economic agenda could mean something. Not necessarily, but it's worth trying. The approach of running to the right hasn't helped the Dems.

Actually, running to the right has worked pretty well for WV Dems.  We control the Governorship and one of the state's Senate seats.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #187 on: May 11, 2017, 05:24:09 PM »

1. Ronald Wilson Reagan
2. William Jefferson Clinton
3. Barack Obama
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #188 on: May 11, 2017, 06:36:20 PM »

</KyleKulinskiHackRant>

Do you think West Virginians see the world in the same way that you do. Because I get the feeling that many of them would roll their eyes at a berniecrat talking about "the one percent". There is probably a subset of the population that supports populists like trump who would be attracted to Sanders and his economic agenda from an anti-establishment point of view. I'd like to see the source of your knowledge of that room full of trump voters. Do you have a link?
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2017, 07:08:45 PM »

</KyleKulinskiHackRant>

Do you think West Virginians see the world in the same way that you do. Because I get the feeling that many of them would roll their eyes at a berniecrat talking about "the one percent". There is probably a subset of the population that supports populists like trump who would be attracted to Sanders and his economic agenda from an anti-establishment point of view. I'd like to see the source of your knowledge of that room full of trump voters. Do you have a link?
Sorry for being Secular Talk sellout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whxM34M94SE

I think if you put the problem in understandable terms, people would believe you more than some fake-sounding, out-of-touch Republican.

Also the Dem got within a few points in KS-4 with zero help from the national Democratic campaign organizations.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2017, 07:25:48 PM »

</KyleKulinskiHackRant>

Sorry for being Secular Talk sellout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whxM34M94SE
That's a town hall. The people who seek out a town hall with someone are probably the more persuadable then those who don't, even if its simply a matter of paying attention.

Maybe. Republicans don't sound as out of touch to them as they do to you. And good luck being able to get that kind of talk to enough people in these places to break the bubble, let alone without neglecting your coalition(Rural areas are a pretty small minority of the US). And even if you do break that bubble, there's no guarantee you'll be able to convince enough people to matter.

KS-04 is not a rural district. At all. It is centered around a suburban city.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2017, 08:14:40 PM »

Millennials are not really a values group of people. They have the most out of wedlock babies in the U.S. generation, so this is not surprising. A lot of millennial women have 4 baby daddies in their lives. This is not surprising. There's a reason why this generation is the most whacked out, foolish generation in modern memory.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2017, 10:21:42 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2017, 10:24:08 PM by Delegate JustinTimeCuber »

but KS-04 still went for Donnie by something like 25 points, not that far from WV. And again, the national Dems ignored it.

e: Can't find source for exact margin in district but correct me if I'm wrong.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2017, 10:39:55 PM »

but KS-04 still went for Donnie by something like 25 points, not that far from WV. And again, the national Dems ignored it.

Similar margins =/= similar seats. The KS-04 special election was a low turnout election. Energization is significantly more impactful in those kinds of elections. For one, KS-04 trended about 2-4 points republican from 2012 to 2016. In West Virginia the trend was more like 10-20 points(and Clinton lost it by around 40 points). Margin tells you nothing about the personalities of the voters on either side.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2017, 10:54:15 PM »

Similar margins =/= similar seats. The KS-04 special election was a low turnout election. Energization is significantly more impactful in those kinds of elections. For one, KS-04 trended about 2-4 points republican from 2012 to 2016. In West Virginia the trend was more like 10-20 points(and Clinton lost it by around 40 points). Margin tells you nothing about the personalities of the voters on either side.
Yes, but it shows that it's possible to overcome what's normally a 27 point loss for Dems and turn it into a 7 point loss.

I'm actually fine with moderates, as long as they aren't massive corporatists and as long as they don't vote to basically allow pollution of water (let's make the whole country like Flint?)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2017, 10:58:46 PM »

Yes, but it shows that it's possible to overcome what's normally a 27 point loss for Dems and turn it into a 7 point loss.

It proves that margins can get weird in more obscure elections. It would mean something if it at least happened under a midterm electorate, but not under a much smaller electorate during a special election when liberals were highly energized by trump and conservatives weren't.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2017, 11:09:08 PM »

It proves that margins can get weird in more obscure elections. It would mean something if it at least happened under a midterm electorate, but not under a much smaller electorate during a special election when liberals were highly energized by trump and conservatives weren't.
It's a fair point that the situation was odd but it proves that deep red districts (and states) aren't unwinnable.

Just a question, do you think if Joe Manchin stopped taking cash from big business and didn't vote in favor of pollution (my biggest problems with him right now) he would be more or less electable?

Also a PPP poll from last April had Trump up against Sanders in WV by 21 and against Clinton by 27.
That doesn't say much but it's hard to look at that and say that moderates do BETTER in WV.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #197 on: May 12, 2017, 12:38:58 PM »

It's a fair point that the situation was odd but it proves that deep red districts (and states) aren't unwinnable.

Just a question, do you think if Joe Manchin stopped taking cash from big business3 and didn't vote in favor of pollution (my biggest problems with him right now) he would be more or less electable?

You can potentially win weird districts in weird situations, but that doesn't mean you can reliably win them in normal situations. On Manchin:

Yes, not taking donations, thus denying yourself access to very important campaigning tactics that your opponent will still have access to, is very damaging to ones electability. The only people who you'd please are already safe democrats, and many in WV would probably see it as a liberal grandstand. It would hurt royally unless a politician was prolific enough to attract a storm of grassroots donations(eg GA-06 special election, sanders presidential run). It doesn't work for senate races in economically depressed small states, especially when none of the enthusiastic donors like you. It is devastating to be known to the electorate only from attack ads(see Matt Heinz vs Martha McSally).

Do you know anything about West Virginia?

Clinton isn't a moderate, especially not in the eyes of the average West Virginian.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #198 on: May 12, 2017, 12:44:12 PM »

how about everyone just agree to disagree or stuff like that?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #199 on: May 12, 2017, 11:46:57 PM »

Trump obviously loses the Republican primary after all White working class voters and populists vote for Justice in the Democratic primary.

Phil Scott/John Kasich 288, Jim Justice/Zell Miller 250

Happy now, RINO Tom? Wink
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies