Safe Space? NC Republicans propose politcal party quotas for college professors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:11:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Safe Space? NC Republicans propose politcal party quotas for college professors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Safe Space? NC Republicans propose politcal party quotas for college professors  (Read 1635 times)
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2017, 09:05:31 PM »

NC Senate has tabled this amendment from Republican Sen. Hise to require political party quotas in hiring UNC system professors.

https://twitter.com/RaleighReporter/status/833848109071474688
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:06:53 PM »

I THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE PRO SMALL GOVERNMENT?Huh? WHAT HAPPENED???

oh wait that's right hypocritical frauds my bad
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:07:56 PM »

AA for Republicans?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:10:22 PM »

same stuff in IOWA:

Senator Mark Chelgren Aims To Purge Democrats From Iowa Universities
http://linkis.com/iowastartingline.com/yzVnD

You must be logged in to read this quote.

elections have consequences.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 09:18:20 PM »

Gotta stop that liberal brainwashing, obviously.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 09:26:22 PM »

Isn't this, you know, illegal? Wouldn't it qualify as preferential hiring by political ideology?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 09:28:01 PM »

Isn't this, you know, illegal? Wouldn't it qualify as preferential hiring by political ideology?

to be fair...have NC republicans cared about such things before?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 09:28:16 PM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure no court in their right mind would ever let that fly.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 10:40:00 PM »

Does anyone want to bet that ALEC is behind this?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 10:49:05 PM »

I wouldn't be opposed to this sort of rule in departments where one's political views may affect the content of the course, but it's not appropriate in say, the math or english departments.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 10:51:09 PM »

When reactionary ideals are taking hold across college campuses, radical steps need to be taken.  Small government won't save the children.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 10:51:24 PM »

I wouldn't be opposed to this sort of rule in departments where one's political views may affect the content of the course, but it's not appropriate in say, the math or english departments.

Reasonable moderate compromise! Roll Eyes
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 10:51:42 PM »

My politics professor was a libertarian thank God I no longer subscribe to that ideology.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 11:00:21 PM »

Couldn't this kind of regulation lead to staff shortages or other issues? If there is such an imbalance, where are they going to scare up the conservatives to fill these positions?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 11:05:47 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2017, 11:09:19 PM by Senator Scott »

That's dumb.

Students know (or should know) full well about the political leanings of their college before they attend it.  If you don't like one college's faculty, you're free to go somewhere else.  Quotas in any form are pointless and create far more unnecessary strain on the system than any supposed benefits from it.

Fortunately, the courts seem to agree with that view and I doubt they'll be much more sympathetic to this even though the NCGOP abandoned integrity of the law a long time ago.

EDIT: oh it was tabled, phew
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 11:07:10 PM »

There are already rules -- for example, college professors cannot give more positive grades  for working for one Party than for another., Were I a professor I would have trouble with someone in my class getting credit for working for candidates of the Knights' Party (a KKK front)  but I would have to give credit if such were mandated by the rules of the syllabus. I would hope to give more credit  for a well-written essay pushing conservative ideology than for a sloppily-written essay pushing liberal ideology. Maybe I would have big trouble with someone who wrote an essay wishing that Nazi Germany had defeated the USA and brought the Holocaust here...

It is difficult to separate such studies as economics, sociology, political science, and political history. Teach Shakespeare's Macbeth, and you can hardly avoid discussing the horrors of thug government. I'm guessing that that play was not a favorite in Hitler's Germany, Mussolini's Italy, Stalin's Soviet Union, Satan Hussein's Iraq...

If it becomes employees, then I can imagine a Republican-dominated University allowing Democrats to work as janitors, warehouse workers, clerk-typists, food-service employees, or animal handlers (in the agriculture department)... Such would create a political Apartheid in the universities, and it would be consistent in turning public colleges, the only ones that many students can afford, into propaganda mills.    
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 11:10:09 PM »

Horrible. Things like this are terrible regardless of which side they come from.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 01:02:35 AM »

I suppose NC Republicans are already planning their new jobs for after the midterms...
SCNCmod

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 01:14:58 AM »

NC Republican's at the State House are out of control... and I don't think are even representing the thoughts of Republicans in our state.... If so, they are not the Republican's I know!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 02:00:29 AM »

When reactionary ideals are taking hold across college campuses, radical steps need to be taken.  Small government won't save the children.

What children? They're adults. Also reactionary ideals are more in the White House than in college campuses.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 02:29:15 AM »

What a sad world we live in.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 02:50:55 AM »

I was an English education major for awhile and English would be one of the biggest departments (outside political science, of course) where the professors' political views could be reflected in their syllabi, especially when it comes to literature and the kinds of books that professors assign for their students to read (the themes, irony, etc. could reflect the professors' political views.) Feminist literature and don't forget all those banned books in English classrooms, those are political. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 03:09:11 AM »

I suppose NC Republicans are already planning their new jobs for after the midterms...

Many failed politicians become lobbyists or college teachers.

NC Republican's at the State House are out of control... and I don't think are even representing the thoughts of Republicans in our state.... If so, they are not the Republican's I know!

I am beginning to recognize that many conservatives are coming to the conclusion that Donald Trump is a political disaster. Americans would have had an easier choice between two politicians who have voting records. Without a voting record, Donald Trump was a pig in the poke.

The ethnic and religious bigotry, the failed-but-grandiose business ventures, the contempt for objective truth, and especially the "grab them by the crotch" statement all warned me that he was the worst possible Republican who could be nominated. As a  liberal I  find religious and ethnic bigotry intolerable. The failed-but-grandiose business ventures (sure, I would expect much failure in oil wildcatting, venture capital, or in movie investments, but that goes with the territory) were a warning. It's easier to spot a liar on politics when one disagrees with him on issues than if one shares most of his agenda (I voted for John Edwards in the 2008 Democratic primary) than if one agrees with him on cultural and economic issues -- so on that I must exculpate conservatives for catching on later on Donald Trump before I did.

Nobody could have predicted how chaotic his Administration would be.

I feel some sorrow for what conservatives are going through. Someone likely not their first choice, someone for which many conservatives had misgivings, won.  I can't say "I told you so"; indeed I am surprised at how bad he is. He is so bad that I wish that Mitt Romney had won the 2012 election and effectively shut Donald Trump out of a political role for which he is completely unfit.

We are going to get into some nasty scrapes because of the President's inconsistency and overblown ego. If his handling of the economy is as capricious as that of his handling of foreign policy we can expect a swift and catastrophic end to the Obama bull market.

Liberals and conservatives alike will experience much the same pain from bungling of the economy and foreign policy. The markets and the monetary policy are the same for us all. We may be sending our sons and daughters off to the same wars, and they have just the same chance, whether their parents are liberals or conservative, of returning in body bags.  

C-SPAN gave a new ranking of the Presidents in overall quality, and ranked former President Obama #12. He may have been boring -- thus the nickname "No Drama Obama". He did effective stewardship of the economy, allowing America to get out of an economic meltdown as severe at its outset as the one beginning in 1929. He had no scandals. He did not fight tendencies in legal decisions. He whacked the most dangerous terrorist in American history. He eased America out of a messy war in Iraq. He gave us a flawed Affordable Care Act that Republicans will have a difficult time putting out of operation. He did not get us into new troubles. By 2020 Americans will want a President with similar probity and overall wisdom -- even if that President is a conservative Republican.  
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 04:17:19 AM »

Glad to see the Republicans are finally coming aroung on affirmative action.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 10:57:12 AM »

How would this work in fields where the opposite is true? Not neccesarily in Big Carbon, but in things that will always be essential, such as various levels of the Security profession? I guess there are at least few spies that are Democrats but still...
and I did work for a Colenel who was a Democrat.

There will be always be a few Democrats in the armed services and there will always be Republican academics, but most Democrats tell their kids they won't make the cut or that it will really suck and Republicans tell their kids they need more money, not more school.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies