Hypocrisy of the left on the media
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:17:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hypocrisy of the left on the media
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hypocrisy of the left on the media  (Read 928 times)
EnglishPete

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2017, 06:22:49 AM »

Lots of Trump's detractors passed around the smelling salts upon seeing this tweet

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!

They have ben saying "Trump is attacking the press, calling the press 'enemies of the people', that's an attack on the 1st amendment"

This is both an absurd and hypocritical reactions from the left. Trump attacks the left wing of the commercial media (NYT, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN). That apparently the crime of crimes. Democrat presidents and politicians attack the right wing of the commercial media (Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, Breitbart/Project Veritas) and apparently that's fine and not an attack on the 1st amendment.

The left seems to think that the left wing of the mass commercial media IS the press. The right wing of mass commercial media as well a Youtube channels/twitter accounts/blogs etc apparently don't count so much as being 'the press' and attacking them is apparently not a problem.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 07:13:26 AM »

It's not the media's fault that the facts on which they report are denounced as 'left wing' by the alt-right and therefore so are the media.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 07:19:23 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2017, 09:06:42 AM by Torie »

Yeah, when Trump gets a bit more fact based, he can get back to me with his whining. In the meantime, I just laugh at him, which is to be expected because  - well, he's a clown. Who knew? Trump, the fake facts POTUS.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 07:58:06 AM »

Yeah, when Trump gets a bit more fact based, he can get back to me with his whining. In the meantime, I just laugh at him, which is to be expected because  - well, he's a clown. Who knew? Trump, the fake facts POTOS.
Have you no sympathy for the victims of Stockholm?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 08:57:27 AM »

Are you stupid or not get that calling any press "the enemy of the people" over a story they got right is horrific
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 09:01:23 AM »

I dunno about NBC and ABC, but CBS tries very hard to be neutral, and rural, local CBS outlets tend to lean to the right, as did the one in southern Minnesota where I grew up. My dad said throughout the election that it seemed like CBS was pulling for Trump. I didn't think that was true, but they were definitely trying to be objective.

So Trump is doing more than simply attacking "left-wing" news organizations. Also, I've never heard a president group so many organizations together and denounce them all. I've only heard denunciation of Breitbarth. That's not an attack on the 1st amendment. Saying that "the leaks are real but the news is fake," ie, all news that isn't positive about the administration is fake, is an attack on the 1st amendment. This is just a continuation of that train of thought.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »

I will give CBS credit.

But CNN and MSNBC are controlled left wing outlets.

FOX are just as bad.

I just get my news from Strphen Colbert now.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 09:17:22 AM »

I'm not sure whether it's hilarious or sad (probably both) that you honestly believe YouTube channels, twitter accounts, and blogs constitute the same journalistic credibility as professional journalists and media organizations. Also, when the right wing media actually takes journalistic integrity and honest reporting seriously, maybe then they'll deserve to be treated with more respect. The fact that FOX News tried to defend Trump's claims of a nonexistent Swedish terrorist attack (not to mention its countless other lies and distortions) says all that we need to know about them. Or maybe the "news" site that has an entire section on Black crimes and publishes articles degrading groups of people (Breitbart) should be treated as equally respectable as one that doesn't do sick crap like that.if you want your media outlets to be treated as respectable, then maybe they shouldn't push bigotry and blatant lies. And maybe if you want the "mainstream media" to give your views equal treatment, you should stop scapegoating them.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 09:20:11 AM »

I'm not sure whether it's hilarious or sad (probably both) that you honestly believe YouTube channels, twitter accounts, and blogs constitute the same journalistic credibility as professional journalists and media organizations. Also, when the right wing media actually takes journalistic integrity and honest reporting seriously, maybe then they'll deserve to be treated with more respect. The fact that FOX News tried to defend Trump's claims of a nonexistent Swedish terrorist attack (not to mention its countless other lies and distortions) says all that we need to know about them. Or maybe the "news" site that has an entire section on Black crimes and publishes articles degrading groups of people (Breitbart) should be treated as equally respectable as one that doesn't do sick crap like that.if you want your media outlets to be treated as respectable, then maybe they shouldn't push bigotry and blatant lies. And maybe if you want the "mainstream media" to give your views equal treatment, you should stop scapegoating them.
EnglishPete

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 09:34:14 AM »

I'm not sure whether it's hilarious or sad (probably both) that you honestly believe YouTube channels, twitter accounts, and blogs constitute the same journalistic credibility as professional journalists and media organizations. Also, when the right wing media actually takes journalistic integrity and honest reporting seriously, maybe then they'll deserve to be treated with more respect. The fact that FOX News tried to defend Trump's claims of a nonexistent Swedish terrorist attack (not to mention its countless other lies and distortions) says all that we need to know about them.

A few of points

First. President Trump never said anything about a 'terrorist attack' in Sweden and its dishonest to assert that he did. He was referring to the horrific migrant crime wave that is ongoing in Sweden.

Some social media/youtube news accounts have good journalistic standards, of course most don't. Some paid journalists have good journalistic standards, most don't. The fact that a journalist makes a living doing journalism doesn't mean he's any good. Each news source has to be judged on the evidence its presents for its claims.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
If by 'respectable' you mean respected then of course left wingers give more respect to left wing news outlets and right wingers give more respect to right wing news outlets

If by "mainstream media" you mean the left wing legacy media (ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, NYT, WaPo) then why would I expect left wing media to give equal treatment to right wing views any more than leftists would expect right wing media outlets to give equal treatment to left wing views?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 09:47:16 AM »

I'm not sure whether it's hilarious or sad (probably both) that you honestly believe YouTube channels, twitter accounts, and blogs constitute the same journalistic credibility as professional journalists and media organizations. Also, when the right wing media actually takes journalistic integrity and honest reporting seriously, maybe then they'll deserve to be treated with more respect. The fact that FOX News tried to defend Trump's claims of a nonexistent Swedish terrorist attack (not to mention its countless other lies and distortions) says all that we need to know about them.

A few of points

First. President Trump never said anything about a 'terrorist attack' in Sweden and its dishonest to assert that he did. He was referring to the horrific migrant crime wave that is ongoing in Sweden.

Some social media/youtube news accounts have good journalistic standards, of course most don't. Some paid journalists have good journalistic standards, most don't. The fact that a journalist makes a living doing journalism doesn't mean he's any good. Each news source has to be judged on the evidence its presents for its claims.

It's true that he didn't specifically cite a terrorist attack, however he did specifically say "last night in Sweden." That implies a specific event that occurred on a specific day. The confusion that caused is obvious, since if he was referring to the supposed wave of migrant crime in the country then he shouldn't have specified one day.

If by 'respectable' you mean respected then of course left wingers give more respect to left wing news outlets and right wingers give more respect to right wing news outlets[/quote]

By 'respectable' I mean having a code of journalistic ethics and training that meets professional standards within the field of journalism.

If by "mainstream media" you mean the left wing legacy media (ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, NYT, WaPo) then why would I expect left wing media to give equal treatment to right wing views any more than leftists would expect right wing media outlets to give equal treatment to left wing views?
[/quote][/quote]

Because perhaps your individual complaint isn't about that, but the average right wing person's complaint is that their views aren't given equal representation or consideration by the "mainstream media."
EnglishPete

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 11:44:08 AM »

It's true that he didn't specifically cite a terrorist attack, however he did specifically say "last night in Sweden." That implies a specific event that occurred on a specific day. The confusion that caused is obvious, since if he was referring to the supposed wave of migrant crime in the country then he shouldn't have specified one day.

He's subsequently clarified what he mean by 'last night' and he never made any hint that he was referring to a terrorist attack. People who continue to misrepresent what he said will no doubt continue to do so but they are clearly engaging in deliberate dishonesty.

Oh yes, those legendary (in every sense) 'journalistic ethics' and 'professional standards'. Lets have a look at some examples of those.

In the UK there was hysterical reporting in left wing media of a supposed post Brexit vote 'hate crime spike' that turned out to be based on highly dubious government statistics. (http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/truth-behind-brexit-hate-crime-spike/)

The breathless reporting in the US left wing media of a wave of alleged 'hate crimes' that time after time turned out to be hoaxes.

There is the credulous reports of Jessica Leeds' accusations about Donald Trump even after they have been thoroughly debunked (http://gotnews.com/breaking-nytimes-trump-accuser-jessicaleeds-confirmed-liar-cnn-airplane-details/)

Then there is the blatant dishonesty in the promotion of the claims of Michelle Fields an the Washington Post's Ben terris, even after having been repeatedly debunked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B6K7iiV_zk

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »

It was my birthday last night. But what I really meant by that is that it was last June.
EnglishPete

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 11:56:46 AM »

It was my birthday last night. But what I really meant by that is that it was last June.
The "last night" in Trump's speech referred the "You see" at the beginning of the sentence not to the "what's happening" that immediately proceeded it in the sentence.
elcorazon

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 11:57:15 AM »

The mainstream outlets are, for the most part even-handed. MSNBC made a concerted effort to appeal to the left with evening hosts whose views are decidedly left of center. But even MSNBC presents news in a manner that is not "fake". Fox News I would say the same about only with right instead of left (although I think they are getting a bit closer to pure propaganda for Trump). The rest of the "mainstream media" is similar in that outside of those who are purely there for their opinions, they are presenting a reasonable facsimile of unbiased reporting (no such thing as completely unbiased) and none would qualify as "fake news". Outlets like Breitbart and Drudge certainly mix actual news stories with pure fiction on a regular basis. The comparison is ridiculous. There are a few left wing versions of this, but none actually have the wide credibility among the actual public that the right wing sites seem to among the right wing public.
EnglishPete

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 12:01:21 PM »

Because perhaps your individual complaint isn't about that, but the average right wing person's complaint is that their views aren't given equal representation or consideration by the "mainstream media."

The point in complaining that a few left wing media companies have an oligopoly and use it to promote left wing values is not to get them to change their behaviour (a hopeless task) but is rather to help the process of them losing their oligopolistic, so called "mainstream", status. That process is going well in the US and endlessly pointing out their biases and lies helps that process.
elcorazon

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 12:01:45 PM »

The "last night" in Trump's speech referred the "You see" at the beginning of the sentence not to the "what's happening" that immediately proceeded it in the sentence.
1. Trump is such a poor speaker that his lies have to get translated after the fact to figure out how they might not be complete lies.
2. He watches Fox News, then regurgitates it in his speeches, but he doesn't even get the details from his tv watching correct. Maybe he should get his intelligence briefings instead and he could utilize reality as a basis for his speeches instead of tv shows.
3. Even the idea he failed to properly communicate about Sweden in his speech was FALSE. The documentarian on the Tucker Carlson show had completely misrepresented the reality and Sweden is actually not having serious ramifications from its immigration policy. So even if we go back and try to reinterpret Trump's idiotic statement in order to try and make sense of it, in the end, it was still a lie.

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »

The mainstream outlets are, for the most part even-handed. MSNBC made a concerted effort to appeal to the left with evening hosts whose views are decidedly left of center. But even MSNBC presents news in a manner that is not "fake". Fox News I would say the same about only with right instead of left (although I think they are getting a bit closer to pure propaganda for Trump). The rest of the "mainstream media" is similar in that outside of those who are purely there for their opinions, they are presenting a reasonable facsimile of unbiased reporting (no such thing as completely unbiased) and none would qualify as "fake news". Outlets like Breitbart and Drudge certainly mix actual news stories with pure fiction on a regular basis. The comparison is ridiculous. There are a few left wing versions of this, but none actually have the wide credibility among the actual public that the right wing sites seem to among the right wing public.

This is generally accurate. I would say I trust the so called "lefty media" over Stormfront and their allies in Fox News. The Right media has gotten into bed with the worst and most xenophobic of bigots. Milo Yianniopolis is a Breitbart writer, who was just fired today despite his views being rather public for years.

ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 12:03:57 PM »

I will give CBS credit.

FOX are just as bad.

since you are quite a chilled and humorous guy, i am not always sure about which parts of your postings are meant in a "serious" way but CNN is absolutely not a "left wing outlet", it is - more or less - fair and balanced, in the way, that it employsed imbalanced and unfair pundits from both sides.
EnglishPete

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »

Left winger claims left wing media is "neutral" Roll Eyes
elcorazon

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 12:05:04 PM »

more fake news
EnglishPete

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 12:05:13 PM »

I will give CBS credit.

FOX are just as bad.

since you are quite a chilled and humorous guy, i am not always sure about which parts of your postings are meant in a "serious" way but CNN is absolutely not a "left wing outlet", it is - more or less - fair and balanced, in the way, that it employsed imbalanced and unfair pundits from both sides.
LOL, another lefty claiming that left wing CNN is "fair and balanced"
EnglishPete

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »

more fake news
Nah, that's the Washington Post
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 12:09:58 PM »

LOL, another lefty claiming that left wing CNN is "fair and balanced"
[/quote]

imho FOX news often employs less insane and shrill pro-trump commentators, with less ludicrous theories.

the real problem is, that CNN employs journalists with pride, who fight back if a politican attacks them....while FOX is bending the knee and wishes for another slap.
EnglishPete

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 12:35:16 PM »

imho FOX news often employs less insane and shrill pro-trump commentators, with less ludicrous theories.

the real problem is, that CNN employs journalists with pride, who fight back if a politican attacks them....while FOX is bending the knee and wishes for another slap.
[/quote]Really? FOX bent the knee wished for another slap when Obama was President?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies