Marine Le Pen refuses to wear headscarf for meeting with Lebanon's Grand Mufti
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:53:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Marine Le Pen refuses to wear headscarf for meeting with Lebanon's Grand Mufti
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Marine Le Pen refuses to wear headscarf for meeting with Lebanon's Grand Mufti  (Read 1748 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2017, 09:08:08 AM »

French far-right leader Marine Le Pen has refused to go into a meeting with Lebanon’s grand mufti after being asked to wear a headscarf.

Le Pen, who is in Beirut in a bid to boost her presidential credentials, was set to meet the Sunni Muslim religious leader on Tuesday morning until the sudden change of heart.

“You can pass on my respects to the Grand Mufti, but I will not cover myself up,” Le Pen said.

The press office for the Grand Mufti later insisted her aides had been informed beforehand of the headscarf requirement.

On Monday the French politician held talks with Lebanese President Michel Aoun. It is thought to be the first time she has met a foreign head of state.

http://www.euronews.com/2017/02/21/france-s-marine-le-pen-refuses-to-wear-headscarf-for-meeting-with-lebanon-s
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 09:12:15 AM »

Stunt.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »

Reminds me of the German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen, who visited Saudi-Arabia in December and was asked to wear a headscarf when meeting with the Saudi men.

After which she replied: "I will certainly not wear a headscarf plus I'll choose my own clothing."

https://www.welt.de/icon/article160241319/Ich-setze-mir-kein-Kopftuch-auf-und-trage-Hosen.html
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 09:20:31 AM »

Are we sure this "Grand Mufti" isn't just her bodyguard?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 09:24:37 AM »

Reminds me of the German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen, who visited Saudi-Arabia in December and was asked to wear a headscarf when meeting with the Saudi men.

After which she replied: "I will certainly not wear a headscarf plus I'll choose my own clothing."

https://www.welt.de/icon/article160241319/Ich-setze-mir-kein-Kopftuch-auf-und-trage-Hosen.html

Stunt.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 10:36:19 AM »

Le Pen was informed yesterday that to meet the Grand Mufti she will have to wear headscarf.

Despite that she didn't cancel the meeting, so she can play her comedy in front of the TV cameras.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 10:47:48 AM »

what a cheap shot and she even got all the headlines she wanted.

would a saudi woman, who stand her ground and wore her - illegal - niqab in some western countries, get the same buzz?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 10:51:30 AM »

would a saudi woman, who stand her ground and wore her - illegal - niqab in some western countries, get the same buzz?
When a Saudi woman holds a senior cabinet post in her government and travels abroad to test those rules, we can talk about that.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 11:48:28 AM »

Stunt.

It's certainly a stunt in Le Pen's case, and I don't know about this German minister, but I certainly have a lot of respect for women who choose to make this stand against oppression and downgrading of women.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »

Yeah I remember that :

"WOW URSULA STANDS UP THE SAUDIS! YAS QUEEN etc"

then on page 94

"German Defence ministry approves record arms sale with Saudi Arabia"

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 01:37:27 PM »

Far from a fan of Le Pen, but I think it's the right stand to take.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 01:38:43 PM »

This. She shouldn't have to. Just as French women shouldn't have to take their veils off if they don't want to.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 01:43:11 PM »

This. She shouldn't have to. Just as French women shouldn't have to take their veils off if they don't want to.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 02:31:26 PM »

Stunt.

Should women be allowed to wear what they want?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 02:39:35 PM »

If she wishes to do so then I would support her just as I support Le Pen's choice here, but I think it is worth noting that in some Muslim countries women don't actually have the right to appear in public without the appropriate covering. It's an important detail that many of the people trying to appropriate the hijab as a feminist symbol don't realize.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 02:44:04 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2017, 04:31:23 AM by 0% Approval Rating »

Stunt.

This isn't the issue here.

Von der Leyen herself was in fact *not* asked to wear a headscarf by the Saudis.

However, she did gave an interview saying: "I will certainly not wear a headscarf plus I'll choose my own clothing", falsely implying that she had been asked.

Also what CrabCake said.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 02:50:05 PM »

Stunt.

Contrary to what Tender wrote above, von der Leyen was in fact *not* asked to wear a headscarve by the Saudis. However, she did gave an interview saying: ""I will certainly not wear a headscarf plus I'll choose my own clothing."

Also what CrabCake said.

Should women be allowed to wear what they choose in the presence of foreign dignitaries?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »

Just lovely to see supposed progressives and left-wingers defend headscarves.

The niqab is barbaric. Not wearing a niqab is not.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 02:57:13 PM »

Why would the Grand Mufti want Le Pen to wear a headscarf in the first place ?

As far as I know, there's no word in the Koran which says women have to wear a headscarf when entering a mosque or meeting with some Mufti ...

(or, if there is a verse in the Koran about it - you can certainly interpret it one way or the other).

Therefore, even if I don't like Le Pen, she's virtually right about it. No need to kow-tow to some foreign Mufti. Better stand up to what you believe in and show backbone.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »

Stunt.

Contrary to what Tender wrote above, von der Leyen was in fact *not* asked to wear a headscarve by the Saudis. However, she did gave an interview saying: ""I will certainly not wear a headscarf plus I'll choose my own clothing."

Also what CrabCake said.

Should women be allowed to wear what they choose in the presence of foreign dignitaries?

Nice try. Now take your strawman elsewhere, please.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 03:10:21 PM »

YAAAAAS QUEEN SLAY #ImWithHer
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »

ITT: Men criticizing a woman for dressing the way she wants while trying to break the glass ceiling.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 03:15:54 PM »

ITT: Men criticizing a woman for dressing the way she wants while trying to break the glass ceiling.

Sad.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »

The weird thing about these Saudi stories is that the Saudis don't actually require foreign dignitaries to wear hijabs (that is an Iranian thing). Type in Google Images any major female leader with "in Saudi Arabia" - Gillard, Park, Hillary, Merkel, Helen Clark, Condi Rice, Mogherini - and they have uncovered hair. I think it's only recently that there is familiar cycle on twitter when salfafi idiots on Twitter ARE OUTRGAED and then we of course are OUTRAGED that there is OUTRAGE.

And Ursula took advantage of that to cover up that she was in Saudi Arabia to prop them and their stupid leaders and ideology up.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2017, 04:31:59 AM by 0% Approval Rating »

To further elaborate on the Von der Leyen stunt...

List (probably incomplete) of women who visited Saudi Arabia without wearing a headscarve prior to Ursula von der Leyen:

- Madeleine Albright as Secretary of State.

- Laura Bush as First Lady.

- Condoleezza Rice as Secretary of State.

- Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House.

- Angela Merkel as Chancellor of Germany.

- Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State.

- Michelle Obama as First Lady.

Von der Leyen: Stunt.

She staged it because she wanted to get a good headline for herself at home for christ's sake. Hence she gave an interview "bravely" declaring that she won't wear a headscarf under any circumstances. Career advancement 101.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies