Marine Le Pen refuses to wear headscarf for meeting with Lebanon's Grand Mufti (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:56:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Marine Le Pen refuses to wear headscarf for meeting with Lebanon's Grand Mufti (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marine Le Pen refuses to wear headscarf for meeting with Lebanon's Grand Mufti  (Read 1764 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: February 21, 2017, 09:12:15 AM »

Stunt.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 09:24:37 AM »

Reminds me of the German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen, who visited Saudi-Arabia in December and was asked to wear a headscarf when meeting with the Saudi men.

After which she replied: "I will certainly not wear a headscarf plus I'll choose my own clothing."

https://www.welt.de/icon/article160241319/Ich-setze-mir-kein-Kopftuch-auf-und-trage-Hosen.html

Stunt.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 02:44:04 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2017, 04:31:23 AM by 0% Approval Rating »

Reminds me of the German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen, who visited Saudi-Arabia in December and was asked to wear a headscarf when meeting with the Saudi men.

After which she replied: "I will certainly not wear a headscarf plus I'll choose my own clothing."

https://www.welt.de/icon/article160241319/Ich-setze-mir-kein-Kopftuch-auf-und-trage-Hosen.html

Stunt.

Should women be allowed to wear what they want?

This isn't the issue here.

Von der Leyen herself was in fact *not* asked to wear a headscarf by the Saudis.

However, she did gave an interview saying: "I will certainly not wear a headscarf plus I'll choose my own clothing", falsely implying that she had been asked.

Also what CrabCake said.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »

Stunt.

Contrary to what Tender wrote above, von der Leyen was in fact *not* asked to wear a headscarve by the Saudis. However, she did gave an interview saying: ""I will certainly not wear a headscarf plus I'll choose my own clothing."

Also what CrabCake said.

Should women be allowed to wear what they choose in the presence of foreign dignitaries?

Nice try. Now take your strawman elsewhere, please.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2017, 04:31:59 AM by 0% Approval Rating »

To further elaborate on the Von der Leyen stunt...

List (probably incomplete) of women who visited Saudi Arabia without wearing a headscarve prior to Ursula von der Leyen:

- Madeleine Albright as Secretary of State.

- Laura Bush as First Lady.

- Condoleezza Rice as Secretary of State.

- Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House.

- Angela Merkel as Chancellor of Germany.

- Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State.

- Michelle Obama as First Lady.

Von der Leyen: Stunt.

She staged it because she wanted to get a good headline for herself at home for christ's sake. Hence she gave an interview "bravely" declaring that she won't wear a headscarf under any circumstances. Career advancement 101.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 03:42:27 PM »

In early 2015 - about two years before Ursula von der Leyen visited the country - the New York Times even wrote an article about Michelle Obama's headscarf-less visit to Saudia Arabia titled "Michelle Obama Praised for Bold Stand She Didn’t Take in Saudi Arabia".

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/29/world/middleeast/michelle-obama-praised-for-bold-stand-she-did-not-take.html?_r=0
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 04:26:37 AM »

Stunt.

Contrary to what Tender wrote above, von der Leyen was in fact *not* asked to wear a headscarve by the Saudis. However, she did gave an interview saying: ""I will certainly not wear a headscarf plus I'll choose my own clothing."

Also what CrabCake said.

Should women be allowed to wear what they choose in the presence of foreign dignitaries?

Nice try. Now take your strawman elsewhere, please.

I'll take that as a no.

Put on ignore.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 08:49:10 AM »

ITT: Men criticizing a woman for dressing the way she wants while trying to break the glass ceiling.

Uh, no? Point me to a single post specifically criticizing her for not wearing the headscarf.

Of course not. It's a straw man attack.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies