Senator Ernst shut down at townhall with people shouting "YOUR LAST TERM"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:58:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senator Ernst shut down at townhall with people shouting "YOUR LAST TERM"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senator Ernst shut down at townhall with people shouting "YOUR LAST TERM"  (Read 1460 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2017, 07:50:27 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/02/your-last-term-sen-joni-ernst-faces-defeaning-chants-at-veterans-town-hall/
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 07:54:49 PM »

I think it might be time to make a megathread for all these kinds of incidents...
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »

It's sad that people only become this passionate when their side is out of power. Imagine if liberals were as passionate as the Tea Party in 2009/2010.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 07:59:46 PM »

It's sad that people only become this passionate when their side is out of power. Imagine if liberals were as passionate as the Tea Party in 2009/2010.

Which also formed only because Her Hockey Momness didn't become a heartbeat away from the Presidency by 7 points.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 08:38:20 PM »

This kind of behavior will backfire. One can disagree without shutting a meeting down. What happened to civility? Yes, I know, Trump sets a bad example, but that is no excuse.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 09:01:43 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2017, 08:35:34 AM by pbrower2a »

This kind of behavior will backfire. One can disagree without shutting a meeting down. What happened to civility? Yes, I know, Trump sets a bad example, but that is no excuse.

Liberals are doing what their political opposites did in 2009 and 2010.  Why should it not work for them this time with a President more unpopular more quickly than was Barack Obama?

The Tea Party started acting when President Obama was still well above water in popular support. The anti-Trump protests begin when he is already in political trouble.   
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 09:12:29 PM »

The Left is just doing what the angry right did in 2009. They've concluded anger and passion beats reason. Of course this all began in 2003 over Iraq but really has roots in the unresolved 1960s, I think (you would know more than I with all due respect).
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 09:34:08 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2017, 10:37:24 PM by St. Alphonso »

I think Ernst is fine. Isn't she generally popular? Especially since there are four whole years until her election.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 09:39:43 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2017, 09:43:22 PM by Ronnie »

If behavior like this backfired, Trump wouldn't be President. People will come up with whatever evidence they want to justify support for their candidate. I agree that these obnoxious protests aren't exactly winning over votes, but I doubt it really drives many away at this point in our political discourse
Okay. How about this: it's just wrong, so don't do it. Who cares whether it wins them votes.

What if we deny that premise?  I think people have the right to air their grievances to their representatives, particularly if the occupant of the White House is someone as odious as Donald Trump.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 09:40:44 PM »

I think Ernst is fine. Isn't she generally popular? Especially since there are for whole years until her election.

Depends - from last year I saw a DMR poll showing about even and a morning consult poll showing her moderately popular. Perhaps she is somewhere between the two, and has a rating best described as "meh."
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 10:17:40 PM »

This will go a long way. Like it or not, people like discord and it's the only way some will get fired up.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 11:15:45 PM »

I mean, I greatly prefer respectful discourse over shouting matches, but I can't say that people like Ernst don't deserve an earful from their constituents.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 11:46:27 PM »

I think Ernst is fine. Isn't she generally popular? Especially since there are four whole years until her election.

Polls of Iowa just before Election 2016 showed her with approval ratings around 40. You expect that with an extremist in a moderate state. 
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 12:19:30 AM »

Backfire? Really?

This is straight out of the Tea Party playbook, and they've managed to take over both houses of Congress and the Oval Office.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 12:54:10 AM »

It would be nice, but one must remember that Iowa is filled to the brim with angry, stupid farmers, their brains turned to mush by a steady diet of Monsanto's mutant corn. A woman yelling about castrating hogs naturally appeals to these monstrous simpletons, and will be tough to beat.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 01:32:27 AM »

If 2020 is a huge Democratic landslide, Ernst could be in trouble.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 01:55:15 AM »

Brent Brinkley shall rise from his ashes!
Cashew
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 02:46:07 AM »

If behavior like this backfired, Trump wouldn't be President. People will come up with whatever evidence they want to justify support for their candidate. I agree that these obnoxious protests aren't exactly winning over votes, but I doubt it really drives many away at this point in our political discourse
Okay. How about this: it's just wrong, so don't do it. Who cares whether it wins them votes.

What if we deny that premise?  I think people have the right to air their grievances to their representatives, particularly if the occupant of the White House is someone as odious as Donald Trump.
I agree with your entire post, but there are some limitations on the right to assembly. We can't be hypocrites on this issue.

Being against hypocrisy does not nesecitate going to the other extreme-unilateral disarmament.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 02:46:24 AM »

Backfire? Really?

This is straight out of the Tea Party playbook, and they've managed to take over both houses of Congress and the Oval Office.

You're assuming the strategy employed by the tea party will have the same effectiveness when employed by the left. There's really no evidence (thus far) that this is true.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 03:38:04 AM »

To me the divisive nature of our politics started with the 2000 election , and really accelerated in late 2003 and since then both parties have obstructed the  party holding the white house.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 07:56:42 AM »

One major thing that ties the Trump-era left and the Tea Party together is the apocalyptic way each views the President.

Tea Partiers viewed Obama as a threat to their liberty and way of life, his policies completely alien to the America they believe they know. Modern-day liberals feel similarly about Trump, hence the similarities in tone between the two. (put aside the validity of either; while I personally believe that the Tea Partiers were wrong about Obama and that the left is correct about Trump, that doesn't matter when comparing the two)

Bush was something different. Liberals saw him as a moron who stole the election, but he had a few things on his side that kept this kind of opposition energy from forming against him in the initial stages of his presidency. Those being 9/11, his lovable buffoonery, the Reagan paradigm still being strong, the Iraq War being initially popular, and the fact that the left lacks any parallels to the souls of the GOP reaction to Obama: The Kochs and Mitch McConnell. (they still don't, but now at least they can copy their playbook) There was a large backlash later in Bush's Presidency, but again, that was different. That backlash was mostly a reaction to Bush's actual failures: the Iraq War, the economic crash, gas prices, Katrina, Social Security, etc.

Meanwhile, the opposition reactions to Obama and Trump were/are more about potential failures, the existential threat they pose to the opposition's vision of America, not the actual ways they damaged their country. It has to be like this; in early Year 1, the new President doesn't have enough time to fail as spectacularly as 2nd Term Bush did. By this point Obama was still trying to get his stimulus through, and Trump, while failing as a human being, hasn't even attempted to get any significant legislation passed, including a war resolution like Bush did in 2003. There was the Muslim ban, but that was blocked by the courts early enough to not completely melt down like the Iraq War.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies