Protestors confront politicians at town halls megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:53:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Protestors confront politicians at town halls megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Protestors confront politicians at town halls megathread  (Read 28737 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2017, 09:54:26 AM »

Just so we are clear the tea party people are getting on protestors for organzing ahead of time to make noise at town halls. If irony were strawberries we'd be all drinking smoothies right now
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: 0.43

« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2017, 10:11:28 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2017, 10:15:22 AM by vote for pedro »

You admit in some places the protesters are unrepresentative of the district or a minority ?  I'm gonna say nearly everywhere this is the case.  If the average voter in a district has an extreme conservative or left wing viewpoint, the odds are extremely low that they have a congressional representative from the opposite party.  

That makes no sense—the part about the odds being extremely low that a political minority would have a representative of the opposite party. All but the strongest Republican districts have a sizable Democratic-voting population in them. The worst gerrymanders include significant Democratic populations in every Republican district in order to "crack" the population. Of course there is a significant if not dominant number of far-left *and* mainstream left voters in all of these districts.

And let's not forget, some of these town halls are hosted by Senators who represent an entire state!

Again, we're talking about "paid" or "fake" protesters. It's a strawman to refer to anything other than that claim.

Again with the strawman.  I never said there weren't any democrats in a republican's district.  I said the odds are that those with extreme left wing views are very likely in the minority if they live in a republican congressman's district.  Same goes for a "Tea Party" protester at a democrat congressman's town hall.

"in the minority": ie.  Very likely to have unrepresentative views from the average voter / majority of voters in the district.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2017, 11:00:49 AM »

Again with the strawman.  I never said there weren't any democrats in a republican's district.  I said the odds are that those with extreme left wing views are very likely in the minority if they live in a republican congressman's district.  Same goes for a "Tea Party" protester at a democrat congressman's town hall.

"in the minority": ie.  Very likely to have unrepresentative views from the average voter / majority of voters in the district.

And again, does that make them a "Fake" or "Paid" protester when they attend their congressman's or senator's town hall? No. 
EnglishPete

« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »

"in the minority": ie.  Very likely to have unrepresentative views from the average voter / majority of voters in the district.

And again, does that make them a "Fake" or "Paid" protester when they attend their congressman's or senator's town hall? No. 
The point is that that the far left are a minority even of Democratic voters and they will certainly be a small fraction of the population in Republican held districts, and indeed in most Democrat held districts. The point about them being 'organised' is that the (almost invariably top down) organising will be done using various many decades old 'tricks of the trade' designed to make their group bigger and more significant in size than it really is. Protestors will organise to get to the front of the queue, bus people in from outside the area, spread themselves out across the hall, have periodic interruptions spread out in time and paced for maximum impact. All designed to give the impression that such people represent a bigger and more significant section of the population than they actually do.

Its a bit rich if people behave in the obnoxious and anti-social way and then complain if the targets of their behaviour insult them or treat them with the same lack of respect in return.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2017, 11:51:52 AM »

And they have as much right as every other resident of the district to be heard.  A congressman or senator represents ALL people in their constituency, not just those who voted for him or her.  (At least that's the way it's supposed to work, although that may be my idealistic streak showing.)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2017, 12:25:16 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2017, 12:32:29 PM by Brittain33 »

The point is that that the far left are a minority even of Democratic voters and they will certainly be a small fraction of the population in Republican held districts, and indeed in most Democrat held districts.

Sorry, but it's not at all clear that the 1000s of people showing up with stories about their healthcare are "far-left." Watch the Arkansas town halls. This isn't the Maoist/Marxist tendency here any more than the old folks showing up at Tea Party events were John Birchers.

Not going to look up the polls now but pretty sure a majority of Clinton voters are mad as hell at the Republicans and Trump. He's not a likable man or a peacemaker, you may have noticed. At least W pretended to work with both sides.
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2017, 05:13:00 PM »

And let's not forget, some of these town halls are hosted by Senators who represent an entire state!

Again, we're talking about "paid" or "fake" protesters. It's a strawman to refer to anything other than that claim.

I addressed the out of district protesters being kept out of townhalls in Michigan and Missouri.  A move I applaud, your side seemed upset by it.

On the topic of Senators, answer me this:  Illinois has two democrat senators.  If every single republican voter in Illinois had contacted both Illinois Senators and urged them to vote to confirm Neil Gorsuch, do you think they would have changed their vote?  That's a very large percentage of their constituents, still a minority though.  What do you think?

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2017, 06:01:02 PM »

I addressed the out of district protesters being kept out of townhalls in Michigan and Missouri.  A move I applaud, your side seemed upset by it.

On the topic of Senators, answer me this:  Illinois has two democrat senators.  If every single republican voter in Illinois had contacted both Illinois Senators and urged them to vote to confirm Neil Gorsuch, do you think they would have changed their vote?  That's a very large percentage of their constituents, still a minority though.  What do you think?

Nope.  The majority of their constituents wouldn't vote for them if they did that.  And look what happened to Alan Dixon for voting for an arch-conservative Republican with no business being on the SC.
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2017, 08:18:45 PM »

Nope.  The majority of their constituents wouldn't vote for them if they did that.  And look what happened to Alan Dixon for voting for an arch-conservative Republican with no business being on the SC.

Thank you.  I agree 100%.  Politicians don't get re-elected trying to please people who are unlikely to vote for them anyway.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2017, 02:41:08 PM »

Thank you.  I agree 100%.  Politicians don't get re-elected trying to please people who are unlikely to vote for them anyway.

The thing is that a significant number of the recent townhall protesters are independents and Republicans.  Are there some Democrats?  Sure.  But folks across the ideological spectrum were fiercely opposed to Trumpcare.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2017, 08:50:33 PM »

Senator Tom Cottonmouth? It could hardly happen to a more deserving pol.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2017, 09:03:28 PM »

Feinstein booed like a dog at her townhall for saying she doesn't support single payer

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/326536/feinstein-town-hall-boos/

The universe would collapse in shock in Feinstein supported single payer.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2017, 11:36:57 PM »

Feinstein booed like a dog at her townhall for saying she doesn't support single payer

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/326536/feinstein-town-hall-boos/

She needs to be replaced. She represents California poorly.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2017, 10:07:44 AM »

Doug LaMalfa of California 1st district walked off the stage after being booed http://www.mediaite.com/online/the-immaturity-is-astounding-gop-rep-walks-off-town-hall-stage-as-constituents-rage/
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2017, 01:06:00 PM »

Perez BTFO:

New DNC Chair Tom Perez Booed At Reboot Tour

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/17/new-dnc-chair-tom-perez-booed-at-dnc-reboot-tour/#ixzz4ecZTNDeL
I f**king hate Bernie fans sometimes an I say this as a Bernie fan
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2017, 02:07:06 PM »

Perez BTFO:

New DNC Chair Tom Perez Booed At Reboot Tour

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/17/new-dnc-chair-tom-perez-booed-at-dnc-reboot-tour/#ixzz4ecZTNDeL
I f**king hate Bernie fans sometimes an I say this as a Bernie fan

You are a small minority of Bernie fans then.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2017, 02:08:32 PM »

Perez is a corporate shill who advocated calling Bernie supporters racist. He needs to be driven out of the party.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2017, 02:20:48 PM »

Perez should resign. Nobody wants him in charge. What a big, fat mistake.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2017, 02:34:23 PM »

I do think that unabashed, undiluted leftism might be the antidote to Trumpism, but progressives and so-called "corporate" types will just need to learn to coexist for the time being, since neither is going anywhere.  Incessant infighting on fairly trivial things like the DNC chair (who is pretty damn progressive in his own right) only empowers the opposition when we really can't afford to do such a thing.  Primary challenges are good, but the left needs to rally around whoever the Dems nominate in races up and down the ballot.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2017, 02:37:11 PM »

I do think that unabashed, undiluted leftism might be the antidote to Trumpism, but progressives and so-called "corporate" types will just need to learn to coexist for the time being, since neither is going anywhere.  Incessant infighting on fairly trivial things like the DNC chair (who is pretty damn progressive in his own right) only empowers the opposition when we really can't afford to do such a thing.  Primary challenges are good, but the left needs to rally around whoever the Dems nominate in races up and down the ballot.
THANK YOU
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2017, 05:06:00 PM »

Best comeback yet, in Rep. Doug LaMalfa's town hall:

LaMalfa: Do you yell at church?

Crowd: Do you lie in church?

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/04/17/doug-lamalfa-oroville-town-hall/
peterthlee
China

« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2017, 04:17:33 AM »

Cotton's town hall is currently going very badly with chants of Lock him up. Also, pizza is being passed around
Actually, politicians are used to being yelled and cursed in town halls.
Those who pointed their fingers at Cotton will again rally around him in 2020.
He will easily break 60, come near 65 if he's lucky enough.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2017, 04:21:06 AM »

THANK YOU

This is where I get hung up. If Ellison and Perez are both progressive, then why did Obama want Perez to run in the first place?

And didn't he say whe wouldn't get rid of corporate donatikns as long as the Republicans have them? That doesn't seem very progressive. Not to mention his support of TPP, which is not progressive.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2017, 07:06:46 AM »

THANK YOU

This is where I get hung up. If Ellison and Perez are both progressive, then why did Obama want Perez to run in the first place?

And didn't he say whe wouldn't get rid of corporate donatikns as long as the Republicans have them? That doesn't seem very progressive. Not to mention his support of TPP, which is not progressive.
Because Obama wanted a friend so he could play a bigger role in shaping the party
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2017, 02:43:31 PM »

THANK YOU

I wouldn't want to cripple the party like that. Don't bring a knife to a goddamn tank fight.

He didn't support the TPP, he never opposed it. There's a difference. Being in the cabinet means you can't publicly go against the president - if you do, you make the executive branch look listless, ineffective and not unified.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies