Protestors confront politicians at town halls megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:18:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Protestors confront politicians at town halls megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Protestors confront politicians at town halls megathread  (Read 28835 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« on: March 02, 2017, 10:53:45 PM »

Rubio just won a massive landslide re-election. It makes sense for him not to deal with this rabid loser deadbeats. Why bother?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 04:07:18 PM »

Yeah---- it is kind of interesting how we have Atlas Red & Blue avatars alike, "trust fund babies" if you will, with no experience dealing with the reality of the labor market, let alone the hassles involved in what is actually involved in claiming government benefits, such as unemployment insurance, calling people "deadbeats" as some sort of bizarre political argument/attack.

I have worked constantly for 25 years in mainly a full-time capacity, and part-time (20 hours/week) in college and grad school in my '20s, and now in my early '40s for the first time ever in my life am receiving unemployment insurance that I have been paying into for decades, although obviously my goal is to actually work for decent wages on the free market based upon my skills and experience.

The 2010 Tea Party protesters are arguably the biggest "deadbeat losers" of all.... Literally you have a bunch of spoiled White Baby Boomers travelling around the country in caravans basically promoting a giant "screw you" agenda for younger and working-class Americans and protesting against Huh??

Meanwhile, in 2017 we have a ton of working and middle-class Americans protesting against an Administration intent on gutting the entire social safety net, actively engaged on mass deportations of Mexican-Americans and Central-Americans, destroying environmental regulations and policies that go back to the Republican Administration of Richard Nixon, not to even mention extremely flawed and dangerous foreign policy statements and positions, that quite possibly could take us into a huge economic and military disaster that would make the War on Iraq look like child's play....

Rubio is a plastic faux politician.... all image and no substance.  I'm not going to even go into the robot jokes....

He got his arse thrashed by Trump in Florida in the Pres primaries, and he was lucky to be able to claw his way out of the cave to win the GE....

I suspect that the voters of the great Sunshine State might not be as receptive come 2022 if he continues the path of his tongue continually caught up in Trump's crack....

I do not know how one gets 'lucky' in winning a statewide Senate election in Florida in a Presidential year, especially as a Republican. Connie Mack and Paula Hawkins never won the massive landslide victory that Rubio just got in such years.

The funniest thing about this rant is that:

1. Trump won Florida.
2. Florida has a constant influx of those White Baby Boomers.
3. Those same White Baby Boomers are enjoying the awesome spoils of the Trump bull market!
4. I suppose based on historical patterns Senator Rubio might have a difficult 2022 re-election during the Trump 6 year itch, but here I thought the party of stupid was going to actually mount a serious challenge to our Great President in the 2020 election. Eh, probably not.

The 2010 Tea Party folks were Great People far more successful and wealthy than the current batch of Astroturfed rabble sitting around all day on the public dole.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 04:50:34 PM »

How is a 7.7% win a landslide? I mean it's a very comfortable win, but its not a landslide.

Florida has been a tough state for Republicans to win Senate elections since the beginning of direct elections of Senators. It's never elected 2 simultaneous Republicans at all. Rubio did better than most others.

One might think that counts for something.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 06:40:18 PM »

How is a 7.7% win a landslide? I mean it's a very comfortable win, but its not a landslide.

Florida has been a tough state for Republicans to win Senate elections since the beginning of direct elections of Senators. It's never elected 2 simultaneous Republicans at all. Rubio did better than most others.

One might think that counts for something.

In 2014 Montana's Class II Senate Seat ended an entire century of uninterrupted Democratic officeholders but that doesn't mean Steve Daines' 18 point win against a math teacher with an entirely unfunded campaign was in any way unexpected and it says nothing about Daines himself. You can massage statistics to make any claim you want but just because Robio did a little bit better than other candidates in his situation have, it doesn't mean he gets to suddenly start ignoring the people he represents

Those are not statistics. They are actual election results. And Rubio's massive election victory is only part of the puzzle. It is far more notable that the Senate has staggered 6 year terms, and that Rubio is not up for re-election until 2022, and that this is an intentional design by the founders. The rabble can go harass the other Senator of Florida who is up in 2018.

Of course, Rubio is not ignoring the people he represents, but rather handing off some of the constituent services to his staff. Staggered elections means the Senator himself can sit on the nice beaches of Florida for a while. We all know he wants to be President anyway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies