what is the lowest hourly wage for which youd work?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:07:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  what is the lowest hourly wage for which youd work?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: what is the lowest hourly wage for which youd work?  (Read 2844 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2005, 11:01:10 AM »
« edited: July 26, 2005, 11:07:58 AM by WalterMitty »

honestly.

i  personally have no minimum.  sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

i hear people all the time saying stuff like, 'i wouldnt get out of bed for that', talking about wages of potential jobs.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 11:04:33 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2005, 03:47:41 PM by LiberalPA »

minimum wage works for me for now (im only 14) once im older, id like to be making at least $38,000 a year. Once i graduate from college, i would prefer at least $65,000
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 12:51:22 PM »

It depends on the situation.  If I'm down and out, I'd work for free provided the people give me food and shelter.  Otherwise, after I graduate?  I won't consider offers under $100K.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 01:18:02 PM »

I don't intend to work during high school or possibly even college.  I'll make up to 10 times more once I get my degree.  There's no point in getting a little money while messing up my academics.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 01:21:18 PM »

I don't intend to work during high school or possibly even college.  I'll make up to 10 times more once I get my degree.  There's no point in getting a little money while messing up my academics.

But having a social life is important too, which you need money for.  In high school, I plan on working for my dad doing traffic counts for $10 an hour, which I think is pretty good for a high schooler.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 01:24:47 PM »

It depends on the situation.  If I'm down and out, I'd work for free provided the people give me food and shelter.  Otherwise, after I graduate?  I won't consider offers under $100K.

YOu'll have to pay for my jaw surgery after this.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 01:33:09 PM »

Unless your parents are going to be giving you regular donations so you have enough pocket money to properly enjoy college, you are going to want a job.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 01:35:41 PM »

Given my current situation - no college degree, but still college education, and good work experience in my field - no less than $13/hr. Of course, I can get more(I do now, actually), and I would be willing to work for less most likely if my situation was different.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 01:44:57 PM »

I'm currently working for $5.50 an hour --- granted, I get tips and bring home a good deal of cash every night Tongue

After graduation, I wouldn't work for less than $15/hr (unless the situation called for it) to start out, and hopefully make my way up the ladder depending on what career path I choose.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 02:19:57 PM »

Two of my friends started, out of university, with $220K and $250K respectively.  One in Dubai, and one in the United States.  They're both actuaries.  I'm now rather agitated.  I'm very competitive and I'll be rather annoyed if I don't start up there. :/
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 03:10:06 PM »

Two of my friends started, out of university, with $220K and $250K respectively.  One in Dubai, and one in the United States.  They're both actuaries.  I'm now rather agitated.  I'm very competitive and I'll be rather annoyed if I don't start up there. :/

What field are you going into, Rich?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 03:15:03 PM »

Ah, so you are going to spend college homeless and starving.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 03:22:33 PM »

How else? Cheesy
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 03:31:44 PM »

How else? Cheesy

I suppose one could take the route of living at home and being fat, but that's no fun.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 03:48:25 PM »

There's no minimum.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 04:28:26 PM »

Obviously under a certain amount the worker would die, and more importantly to his owner fail to return to work.  This needn't be a problem if there is a sufficient supply of replacements, however.

In my own case I would be loath to accept the indignity of work, regardless of pay. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 04:44:30 PM »

In my own case I would be loath to accept the indignity of work, regardless of pay. 

Yes, we should not work and lay around all day doing nothing hoping somebody who isn't lazy yet will make us clothes and harvest some food.  Roll Eyes

I'll just stay in a dorm.  I'm expecting my college funds and scholarships to adequetly cover most costs.  I think my parents won't hesitate to pay for most of my living expenses, they'll get quite a good return on their investment.

Why do you assume that you will get a scholarship?  Do you know the size of your college fund?  It is impossible for you to know now what the situation will be when you are 18.
PADem

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 04:48:39 PM »

I wouldn't care. I'm currently training for the Philadelphia Police Department, which is what I've wanted to do all my life - salary isn't much of a factor to me.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 05:25:36 PM »

It obviously depends on where I'm living.  If it's not enough for me to live on, it obviously would not be acceptable.  If it is and if it's a nice job, I don't need the wage to be that high, although if they want to make it high, I'm certainly not going to stop them.  I'm not in it for the money.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2005, 05:43:25 PM »

Depends, as long as I'm making money, I'll be pretty satisfied.  In theory, I wouldn't like going under $7/hr.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2005, 05:55:10 PM »

Actuary
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2005, 10:12:58 PM »

Actuary

Fascinating -- I wouldn't have pinned that for you.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2005, 10:22:55 PM »

I'm graduating with a degree in math (statistics).  I enjoy math and I like keeping up to date with current affairs, which is basically waht an actuary does.

Why do you not think of me as an actuary?  I'm rather curious.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2005, 10:30:31 PM »

I'm graduating with a degree in math (statistics).  I enjoy math and I like keeping up to date with current affairs, which is basically waht an actuary does.

Why do you not think of me as an actuary?  I'm rather curious.

I really can't say.  You seem like you'd be quite apt in a literary field -- but that's not where the money is. And it's full of liberals.

I could picture you being involved in computer science, etc, but yeah, when I think about it, actuary does seem to fit you pretty well.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2005, 10:36:12 PM »

I plan on writing novels as a hobby.  Mainly fantasy.  English was my best subject at school, after Math.  I speak 6 or 7 languages, so yeah, I'm interested in the arts too.  Arts and math, guys and girls, left or right handed, whatever.  I'm balanced. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies