NBC/SurveyMonkey: Most Americans (but not young Repubs) think Russia unfriendly
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:58:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NBC/SurveyMonkey: Most Americans (but not young Repubs) think Russia unfriendly
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NBC/SurveyMonkey: Most Americans (but not young Repubs) think Russia unfriendly  (Read 2890 times)
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 02:35:55 PM »

-No; Russia can't accept blatant violations of the rules of the game in the former Soviet Republics (e.g., Georgia's invasion of South Ossetia and Abhazia, the coup in Ukraine). If it finds the Western nations are perfectly willing to support any and all violations of the rules of the game as long as Russia's territorial integrity is threatened by them, it will continue to counter such subversion with all necessary means.

this is NOT russia's territory - period.

which just underlines my point.

russia is russia is russia.

the other countries are NOT RUSSIA and russia can threaten those countries or try to convince them through friendship and respect...the putin way is the way of ruin.

as i said.....bush was an idiot regarding the rocket shield but the imperial attitude of russia and its global war for illiberalism and 18th century values must be opposed by all liberty-loving democrats.

-Would you say the same to JFK in regards to Cuba and Vietnam? Russia has no imperial attitude. It simply has its own version of the Monroe Doctrine. Russia only goes against the rules of the game if the West encourages such rule-breaking to Russia's detriment.

There is no convincing wolves.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2017, 02:43:30 PM »

Would you say the same to JFK in regards to Cuba and Vietnam? Russia has no imperial attitude. It simply has its own version of the Monroe Doctrine. Russia only goes against the rules of the game if the West encourages such rule-breaking to Russia's detriment.

i think the US has made big mistakes with its handling of cuba and vietnam, yes.

and ofc, there is no other imperial country left in the world, besides russia and iran. the US was thinking like that a few decades ago, but a lot has changed singe the 1950ies.

otherwise i can accept your point - it really is a monroe doctrin.

i just can't accept the talking points, that this is about russia's own security.....it's about russia's influence/"interests" of the current russian government........you lose power, if a state is free to make its own decisions and russia wants thise states to be dependent ..plain and simple.

normally, this would be just an academical debate....but since russia also tries to secure its influence through undermining the EU, i can't tolerate or respect this behaviour.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 03:00:38 PM »

Young republicans are Generation alt right confirmed.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 03:18:12 PM »

Would you say the same to JFK in regards to Cuba and Vietnam? Russia has no imperial attitude. It simply has its own version of the Monroe Doctrine. Russia only goes against the rules of the game if the West encourages such rule-breaking to Russia's detriment.

i think the US has made big mistakes with its handling of cuba and vietnam, yes.

and ofc, there is no other imperial country left in the world, besides russia and iran. the US was thinking like that a few decades ago, but a lot has changed singe the 1950ies.

otherwise i can accept your point - it really is a monroe doctrin.

i just can't accept the talking points, that this is about russia's own security.....it's about russia's influence/"interests" of the current russian government........you lose power, if a state is free to make its own decisions and russia wants thise states to be dependent ..plain and simple.

normally, this would be just an academical debate....but since russia also tries to secure its influence through undermining the EU, i can't tolerate or respect this behaviour.

Russia isn't imperialistic as much as it is 4-chany.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 03:20:36 PM »

this is correct.

russia is trolling the F out of everything.

it's milo as president of a global superpower.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 05:04:47 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2017, 05:14:30 PM by Meclazine »

I have never figured out why so many young women take their clothes off for Putin.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 05:27:13 PM »

this is correct.

russia is trolling the F out of everything.

it's milo as president of a global superpower.

And its just as bad as imperialism if not worse. Its imperial nihilism if anything.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2017, 10:11:53 PM »

Reagan is indeed rolling in his grave, and the Republican Party are slowly ceding their dominance on national security (which has been slipping since 2005).*

An ideological opposition to communism ≠ opposition to Russia.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 12:12:30 PM »

PPP’s new national poll:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2017/PPP_Release_National_22417.pdf

“Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Russia?”

favorable 12%
unfavorable 61%
not sure 27%

“Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Vladimir Putin?”

favorable 8%
unfavorable 73%
not sure 19%

%age of Trump, Clinton, Johnson, and Stein voters with a favorable opinion of Russia:
Trump: 23%
Clinton: 6%
Johnson: 3%
Stein: 8%

%age of Trump, Clinton, Johnson, and Stein voters with a favorable opinion of Putin:
Trump: 20%
Clinton: 0%
Johnson: 0%
Stein: 3%
Eharding

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 01:19:49 PM »

Americans are immersed in propaganda to a far greater extent than Russians.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 01:32:19 PM »

fair is foul, foul is fair, war is peace, love is hate, and understanding this is only possible if you are insane, which is the catch 22.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2017, 05:48:24 PM »

All the Republicans saying Russia isn't bad now are the ones fully agreeing with Romney in 2012 when he said the same thing. Guess they have to listen to the strong man and not think for themselves.
Eharding

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2017, 06:08:06 PM »

All the Republicans saying Russia isn't bad now are the ones fully agreeing with Romney in 2012 when he said the same thing. Guess they have to listen to the strong man and not think for themselves.

-I did not support Romney in 2012, and thought his remark on Russia was obviously false and inane; I gave the thumbs-up to Obama's skewering of him.

I think for myself. Most Democrats clearly don't.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2017, 06:09:34 PM »

-I did not support Romney in 2012, and thought his remark on Russia was obviously false and inane; I gave the thumbs-up to Obama's skewering of him.

You're listening to Trump and the party line now. Romney was right, given the chance Putin would kill us al.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2017, 06:12:27 PM »

i can easily say in public that i have underestimated putin's killing instincts and his imperial attitude before 2013 and thought hillary/obama's reset would have been a good idea.

you have seen how hillary and obama paid for trying to play nice with putin - and as an US citizen i would absolutely feel like apologizing to mitt.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2017, 06:15:01 PM »

I am not sure that’s totally true.  I mean, it’s true that many (most?) of the folks in this poll probably don’t care that much about foreign policy, and will just go along with whatever the party leadership tells them.

But I do think there’s some organic Putin-love on a certain segment of the American right that would exist even in the absence of Trump.  As Peter Beinart put it, the split on the right over Russia centers around whether one is an “ideological” or “civilizational” conservative:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/12/the-conservative-split-on-russia/510317/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Eharding

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2017, 06:19:23 PM »

You're listening to Trump and the party line now. Romney was right, given the chance Putin would kill us al.

-Putin's been in power since 2000. Why hasn't he? Hitler was in power for 12 years.

I see you're one of those Romney-Hillary hacks. Not a fan.
Eharding

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2017, 06:23:36 PM »

i can easily say in public that i have underestimated putin's killing instincts and his imperial attitude before 2013 and thought hillary/obama's reset would have been a good idea.

you have seen how hillary and obama paid for trying to play nice with putin - and as an US citizen i would absolutely feel like apologizing to mitt.

-Russia has no imperial attitude, it just has an attitude of opposition to the U.S.'s very real imperial attitude.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2017, 06:26:23 PM »

Russia has no imperial attitude, it just has an attitude of opposition to the U.S.'s very real imperial attitude.

the biggest benefactor of foreign value-driven US interactions are always third nations, cause - as your hero trump pointed out so often - the USA aren't annexing "the oil".

the US is in decline, while russia's stealth imperial global empire is trying to undermine each and every one liberal democracy in this world.

i would love Mir but the price putin wishes for is too high...liberty mustn't die.
Eharding

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2017, 06:29:31 PM »

Russia has no imperial attitude, it just has an attitude of opposition to the U.S.'s very real imperial attitude.

the biggest benefactor of foreign value-driven US interactions are always third nations, cause - as your hero trump pointed out so often - the USA aren't annexing "the oil".

the US is in decline, while russia's stealth imperial global empire is trying to undermine each and every one liberal democracy in this world.

i would love Mir but the price putin wishes for is too high...liberty mustn't die.

-Move to Libya, rebel-held Syria or western Ukraine already. There, you can experience your liberty unfiltered.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2017, 06:32:44 PM »

Move to Libya, rebel-held Syria or western Ukraine already. There, you can experience your liberty unfiltered.

western ukraine really deserves to be part of that list.....

.... and ofc ukraine and syria would be more peaceful now without russia's meddling.

Eharding

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2017, 06:44:39 PM »

Move to Libya, rebel-held Syria or western Ukraine already. There, you can experience your liberty unfiltered.

western ukraine really deserves to be part of that list.....

.... and ofc ukraine and syria would be more peaceful now without russia's meddling.

-Yeah; the conquests of Idlib and northeastern Latakia by the rebels and Qaryatayn by ISIS were oh-so-peaceful.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2017, 11:27:35 PM »

-Russia has no imperial attitude, it just has an attitude of opposition to the U.S.'s very real imperial attitude.

Yes, no imperial ambition but it would take over al of Eastern Europe and all of its former territory in Central Asia if left to its own ambitions. Then proceed to make Western Europe vassel states.

You'be clearly bought Russia's propaganda or just don't care because they're not Americans. Not impressed with your fascist support.
Eharding

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2017, 12:12:54 AM »

Yes, no imperial ambition but it would take over al of Eastern Europe and all of its former territory in Central Asia if left to its own ambitions. Then proceed to make Western Europe vassel states.

You'be clearly bought Russia's propaganda or just don't care because they're not Americans. Not impressed with your fascist support.

-If Russia wanted to take over Central Asia, why didn't it do so a decade ago? Noone's stopping it. I'm sure a lot of Russians in northern Kazahstan would be grateful.

Again, Russia has no imperial attitude. Only a strong opposition to the U.S.'s very real imperial attitude.

Truly, your remarks are inane. Typical Romney-Hillary voter.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies