End of gerrymandering
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:17:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  End of gerrymandering
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What do you want to replace gerrymandering ?
Redistricting by independant commission

Proportionnal

Mix-proportionnal

Other option

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: End of gerrymandering  (Read 2652 times)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2017, 12:26:50 PM »

What do you want to replace gerrymandering for US House of representatives ?
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:24:06 PM »

Just draw straight lines.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 03:34:32 PM »

MMP basically eliminates the incentives for gerrymandering (other than, I suppose, incumbent protection), provided you have enough at-large seats available to create proportionality.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 09:59:26 PM »

A little over 3 years ago I drafted a proposal for a constitutional amendment that rewrites Section 1 of the 14th Amendment to make its meaning narrower and clearer. It is long and detailed and I was careful to design it as a compromise between conservative and liberal points of view. One provision within it requires all of the states to use independent commissions to draw congressional district maps and state legislative district maps  And I'd be perfectly willing to change my proposal so that it requires redistricting done by computers that use algorithms.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 01:33:12 AM »

"Independent" commissions are just a different type of gerrymander IMO. How about minimizing county splits.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 03:53:37 AM »

STV in statewide districts
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »

Interesting but the number of candidates in say California and votes would make it rather complex, no?

"Independent" commissions are just a different type of gerrymander IMO. How about minimizing county splits.

Some commissions are bad and some legislatures are pretty good.

Commissions alone are not enough. Iowa has a whole county requirement and combination. Commission offers the legislature maps and if they reject the first two, whatever the third map is, gets picked.

You have to have a good set of a rules. A good set of rules can leash a bad legislature to bring it under control (Florida). A Commission with a weak set of guidelines can be just a bad as a legislature (Arizona).

Some of the best maps in my opinion of the previous cycle were drawn by courts (New York and Colorado).

Starpaul20
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -5.22

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 09:53:58 AM »

STV with statewide districts for all states that have 5 seats or less in the house and multi-member districts of either 3, 4 or 5 seats for all the larger states (6 seats or more).
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 11:57:07 AM »

Interesting but the number of candidates in say California and votes would make it rather complex, no?

Some commissions are bad and some legislatures are pretty good.

Commissions alone are not enough. Iowa has a whole county requirement and combination. Commission offers the legislature maps and if they reject the first two, whatever the third map is, gets picked.

You have to have a good set of a rules. A good set of rules can leash a bad legislature to bring it under control (Florida). A Commission with a weak set of guidelines can be just a bad as a legislature (Arizona).

Some of the best maps in my opinion of the previous cycle were drawn by courts (New York and Colorado).

I agree that the rules are more important than the body. With good software and well-defined rules there's nothing that prevents the public from drawing the maps. Final approval can happen by the legislature as in IA.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 04:08:41 PM »

STV with statewide districts for all states that have 5 seats or less in the house and multi-member districts of either 3, 4 or 5 seats for all the larger states (6 seats or more).
That sounds much better, didn't think about that when I first posted.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 09:13:43 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=194907.0

This was pretty much my first post in this forum.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 06:19:36 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 07:35:46 PM »

PR would be best, but if we HAVE to keep using FPP then the British system is the only way forward.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 12:03:20 AM »

A bad idea. Rivers make natural borders in many cases and they are usually anything but straight.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 07:17:53 PM »

I agree that the rules are more important than the body. With good software and well-defined rules there's nothing that prevents the public from drawing the maps. Final approval can happen by the legislature as in IA.

Doesn't the IA plan allow the legislature to eventually draw the map themselves if they keep refusing what is giving to them? If so, I don't think that's an acceptable remedy to gerrymandering.

Not every independent commission gets it right and not every legislature gets it wrong. Washington and New Jersey strike me as states with independent panels that are prone to failure (i.e. tie-breaker models) and erred in their maps.

I think California's system is one of the better ones that stymies partisan/incumbent gerrymandering. It requires a majority of all parties to agree to specific maps. I'd like to extend a system like that to encourage the people themselves to submit maps subject to specific criteria for consideration.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 07:49:14 AM »

Doesn't the IA plan allow the legislature to eventually draw the map themselves if they keep refusing what is giving to them? If so, I don't think that's an acceptable remedy to gerrymandering.

Not every independent commission gets it right and not every legislature gets it wrong. Washington and New Jersey strike me as states with independent panels that are prone to failure (i.e. tie-breaker models) and erred in their maps.

I think California's system is one of the better ones that stymies partisan/incumbent gerrymandering. It requires a majority of all parties to agree to specific maps. I'd like to extend a system like that to encourage the people themselves to submit maps subject to specific criteria for consideration.

You are mostly correct. If the IA legislature fails to enact either of the first two plans, then the third plan submitted to the legislature can be amended. If that amended plan fails it goes to the court. Even with the partisan make up after the 2010 election, the process did not get to the amendment stage.

Your last point about having the public submit maps is part of my motive for the muon rules (SPICE). They define measurable criteria to judge submissions from the public, politicians or computers. The maps can be crowdsourced and the best plans given to the legislature for approval. I'd leave off the amendment step and have the Sec of State certify the best submitted plan if none are approved.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 11:51:28 AM »

MMP, but the most realistic option would be redistricting commissions.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 02:36:34 PM »

Nothing is not an option in the poll.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »

Nothing is not an option in the poll.
Oh, well that's simple: Nothing= HP
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 07:21:49 PM »

Commissions are better than the nakedly partisan crap you see a lot, though they're not perfect. WA's commission is basically an incumbent protection racket
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies