South Carolina 2018 Gov's Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:33:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  South Carolina 2018 Gov's Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Carolina 2018 Gov's Race  (Read 619 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2017, 02:30:14 AM »

I think if Dems were to nominate someone from the Business World... they would have a good chance of defeating Henry McMaster (current Gov.. due to Nikki Haley leaving).

That said- I also think McMasters should hope he doesn't get a serious challenge in the primary... as he is a very weak candidate...

After Sanford was term limited... McMasters ran in the 2010 Primary and wasn't even in the runoff.

Primary results:

Haley: 49%
Barrett: 22%
McMaster: 16%
Bauer: 12%

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 05:46:04 AM »

Has Vincent Sheheen shown any interest in running?  He came reasonably close in 2010 in a Republican wave year, and McMaster probably doesn't have the kind of appeal that Haley did.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 06:42:03 AM »

Has Vincent Sheheen shown any interest in running?  He came reasonably close in 2010 in a Republican wave year, and McMaster probably doesn't have the kind of appeal that Haley did.

Third time is a charm? May be, but i doubt. He could run for SC-05 as well, but declined. Not especially good sign, IMHO...
SCNCmod

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:39:42 AM »

Has Vincent Sheheen shown any interest in running?  He came reasonably close in 2010 in a Republican wave year, and McMaster probably doesn't have the kind of appeal that Haley did.

I'm not sure if Sheheen is interested in running... Although I think he too would have a good chance vs McMaster... there is probably a better candidate out there- and hopefully some good options will step forward if it looks like Master will not get a serious primary challenge.

And no- McMaster does not have any of the appeal Haley did... Even those who are not huge Haley fans would probably say that she was at least not the typical politician- and seemed to have decent sense of business and industry.  Master (who will be 71 on election day) is seen as the exact opposite... nothing new & not especially intelligent.

But again- the big question is does McMasters get a strong primary challenge- and if so can he survive it (probably not on the latter question).
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 10:21:14 AM »

I’m not deep into SC politics, but why is McMaster considered a weak candidate? He just took office, so it’s too early make projections on his performance as chief executive. He also has the advantage of the incumbency and served as AG and lt. gov. So he has experience and is well known. According to Wikipedia, a former lieutenant governor has declared a run for the GOP nomination. As of now, the only serious candidate besides McMaster.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 12:22:11 PM »

Safe R.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:31:20 PM »

Bakari Sellers, Christopher R. Hart, and Mandy Powers Norell would all do well and have pretty high ratings from ACU for a Democrat.

Beth Bernstein would be a good, more liberal running mate. Grady Brown would be great alongside her, but he's over seventy. Boyd Brown is a good speaker.
SCNCmod

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 04:04:39 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2017, 04:10:41 PM by SCNCmod »

I’m not deep into SC politics, but why is McMaster considered a weak candidate?

Maybe I'm wrong about how weak McMasters is... But

Ask anyone you know in South Carolina....
1) How familiar are you with Henry McMaster? (probably not too familiar)
2) What is your general impression of him?
3) Do you think he is a strong candidate for Gov '18 election/or /Do you think he will win?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies