Atlasia Chronicle (Southern Senate Election)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:45:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasia Chronicle (Southern Senate Election)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atlasia Chronicle (Southern Senate Election)  (Read 1488 times)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2017, 07:24:12 AM »
« edited: April 14, 2017, 08:19:29 AM by Clyde1998 »

The Atlasia Chronicle is being relaunched as a newspaper, which will help people keep up to date with the day-to-day goings on in Atlasia. We will still be conducting opinion polls, which will supplement our coverage. The Atlasia Chronicle will focus on bills going through Congress and the Regional Legislatures, as well as general news from around the country and occasionally conducting interviews with Atlasia's political elite.

We'll be happy if people wish to write pieces for the Chronicle; feel free to ask me if you wish to do this.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 04:58:42 PM »

Friday 10th March 2017
Congress a challenge for the new President
Atlasia swung towards the Federalists in a dramatic election that sees Southern Governor dfwlibertylover become President. The Atlasia Chronicle takes a quick look at the challenges facing the new administration in the coming months in Congress.

House of Representatives
The Federalists have gained control of the House of Representatives from Labor for the first time since its creation, with a number of high profile candidates elected. Enduro, Heisenberg, North Carolina Yankee, Potus and tedbessell will be the Representatives attempting to push the incoming President’s program through the legislature.

Labor have a mix of experience and freshness to their elected Representatives, with 1184AZ, OneJ, Peebs and Simossad aiming to challenge the administration. The experience many become vital for the newer Laborites, for the next time Labor take control of the House, and some in the party many welcome the depth that Labor now process, even if they don’t hold a majority.

It’s thought that if the Federalists can get a common program of policies together and have everyone voting, they should have no issue passing legislation through the House, with Labor’s only real prevention tactic, at this level of Congress, being to stall legislation via amendments. Although this tactic would be unlikely to prevent legislation passed, unless the Federalists splinter on certain issues.

However, Laborites would only likely seek to block more "right-wing polices" proposed by the Federalists, allowing more moderate polices their support.

Senate
The real challenge for the new Federalist administration will be to get legislation through the Labor-controlled Senate. Assuming that the Labor caucus can carry Independent Siren on most issues, the Federalists will have severe issues getting their policies through Congress without compromise.

It seems unlikely that Lincoln (the North) will vote for anyone other than a Laborite in the near future, while Fremont has generally backed left-leaning candidates. This could mean that the Federalists may be unable to pass through their policies unimpeded, even after the midterm elections.

This seems to be the best way for Labor to block any radical policies that the Federalists may propose. Although, the decision to block the legislation from the Laborites will likely only be taken after proposing amendments and attempting to co-operate with the Federalists.

Conclusion
For dfwlibertylover's first term as President to be a success, he will have to convince Laborites to back him on major policy issues in order to get important radical legislation through Congress. Alas, the Federalists may not introduce any radical legislation, in the knowledge that they'll have to convince the Laborite Senate to support them.

While the previous election saw a shift towards the Federalists, it seems unlikely that it will cause a dramatic shift in Atlasian politics towards the right.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 06:12:56 PM »

Yay! It's back!
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 11:09:46 PM »

Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 11:15:58 PM »

President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 11:29:19 PM »

JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 11:42:36 PM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 02:39:07 AM »

Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 10:54:58 PM »

Thanks everyone. Smiley
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 11:47:24 PM »

Sunday 12th March 2017
EU to fund NGOs following re-introduction of Mexico City policy
Brussels, Belgium
The Atlasia Chronicle has been told by its European sources that the European Union plans to fund the Non-Governmental Organisations that provide abortion counselling and referrals in response to the President's executive order re-introducing the Mexico City policy.

Guy Verhofstadt, the leader of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats in Europe (ALDE) within the European Parliament, has called the re-introduction of the policy "devastating" and that "it shouldn't be for Government to decide for the women whether they should have a child or not". He added that "Europe should fight back against the totalitarianism administration that reigns over Atlasia".

No-one in the European Commission would confirm the story to the Atlasia Chronicle, however it appears that there could be support from large sections of the European Parliament should this proposal hit the chamber.

It could be seen as an blow for Atlasian foreign policy should the European Union take over funding of NGOs. There has been a suggestion that this could start the decline of Atlasia as a superpower and give the EU more of a foothold in places where they haven't previously been influential.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 02:47:03 AM »

Fake News! (literally since this would be the GM's job Tongue )
However, if I had to reply, I would say this. First, it would be absurd for the EU to call me Totalitarian when the majority of my cabinet is literally laborite! Let them do what they would like to do, doesn't really matter to me, I think they have bigger things (like Russia) to worry about personally!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 07:54:50 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2017, 08:29:04 AM by Blair »

However, if I had to reply, I would say this. First, it would be absurd for the EU to call me Totalitarian when the majority of my cabinet is literally laborite! Let them do what they would like to do, doesn't really matter to me, I think they have bigger things (like Russia) to worry about personally!

IIRC all international/nation stories are true until the GM confirms they're not- has been the long standing convention in Atlasia. Although the TL is a bit confusing in this case, so it could do with clarifaction.

Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 08:08:15 PM »

IIRC all international/nation stories are true until the GM confirms they're not- has been the long standing convention in Atlasia. Although the TL is a bit confusing in this case, so it could do with clarifaction.
Aye, that's how I've always understood it. There's been previous news stories that haven't originated from the GM in the past.

In this case, however, I'm reporting a story from a "source", so it's unclear whether the additional funding will be made available or not at this stage.

It was just a quote from a single MEP, rather than the position of the organisation itself. Wink
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »

Monday 13th March 2017
Labor complete regional hat-trick
Labor have completed a hat-trick of regional election victories with NeverAgain's victory in the Southern Governor election, with the party now holding the Governorship in each of Atlasia's three regions. On top of this, Labor now have majorities in all of the regional legislatures following last night's result.

The result can be seen as a fight back from Labor following the result of the February election, which saw the Federalists take the Presidency and the House. The result will be deeply damaging to the Federalist with the South being the region with the largest Federalist membership and the election only producing a single Federalist delegate. Alas, given that most of the Federalist strength is in Federal government, the leadership of the party may not be overly concerned by the people's verdict.

Southern Governor: Lab - 1 (+1), Ind - 0 (-1)
Total Regional Leaders: Lab - 3 (+1), Ind - 0 (-1)

Southern Chamber of Delegates: Lab - 3 (+1), Fed - 1 (-1), ACP - 1 (N/C)
Total Regional Legislators: Lab - 8 (+1), Fed - 3 (-1), UA - 1 (N/C), ACP - 1 (N/C), Dem - 1 (N/C)
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 01:34:09 PM »

BREAKING NEWS
Monday 13th March 2017
Labor have completed a hat-trick of regional election victories with NeverAgain's victory in the Southern Governor election, with the party now holding the Governorship in each of Atlasia's three regions. On top of this, Labor now have majorities in all of the regional legislatures following last night's result.

The result can be seen as a fight back from Labor following the result of the February election, which saw the Federalists take the Presidency and the House. The result will be deeply damaging to the Federalist with the South being the region with the largest Federalist membership and the election only producing a single Federalist delegate. Alas, given that most of the Federalist strength is in Federal government, the leadership of the party may not be overly concerned by the people's verdict.

Total Regional Legislators: Lab - 8 (+1), Fed - 3 (-1), UA - 1 (N/C), ACP - 1 (N/C), Dem - 1 (N/C)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 06:07:53 PM »

Monday 13th March 2017

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=192020.msg4528490#msg4528490
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 04:30:08 AM »

It's not designed to be breaking news - just a brief round-up. Wink Tongue
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 04:39:57 AM »

I'll take that as a threat against our employees. Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 05:32:43 AM »

More like a statement of defiance at your tone, by reminding one of a similar incident of hubris leading to predictions of our demise. I could have linked to the RIP Fed Party 2012-2015 thread, but it has been a while since I linked back to the whole one officeholder thing.

The post that spawned two Federalist Memes.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 05:42:47 AM »

More like a statement of defiance at your tone, by reminding one of a similar incident of hubris leading to predictions of our demise. I could have linked to the RIP Fed Party 2012-2015 thread, but it has been a while since I linked back to the whole one officeholder thing.

The post that spawned two Federalist Memes.
I didn't suggest that the Federalists were dying. Wink

I said:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Which is true, as the Federalists hold the Presidency and the House and out of the 13 Federalists in office, 10 are in Federal office.

Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 04:46:42 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2017, 04:48:24 AM by Clyde1998 »

The latest Atlasia Chronicle opinion poll is now live: https://goo.gl/forms/ToNckt5xT9ifM4Tu2

The poll covers a Presidential election between dfwlibertylover and seven potential challengers*, approval ratings for the President, VP, Congress leaders & GM and the left-right political position of various people within the game.

The poll will close on either Friday or Saturday.

*The Labor challengers were the six best performing potential candidates in a Labor membership poll, before anyone complains they're not in this poll. Wink Tongue
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 10:31:38 AM »

Thank you to everyone who's taken part in the poll so far.

The poll can still be taken here: https://goo.gl/forms/ToNckt5xT9ifM4Tu2
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »

I took the poll, correct?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 10:44:40 AM »

Yes - you have. Smiley
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 11:56:31 PM »

Hello Clyde. Are the results ready yet (sorry to bother)?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies