The Utah Democratic Chair election is open
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:51:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Utah Democratic Chair election is open
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Utah Democratic Chair election is open  (Read 1068 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2017, 02:08:02 PM »

So the race for Utah Democratic Chair this year is open, as current chair Peter Corroon is retiring. So far there's three candidates, as detailed in this article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I know y'all are probably going to make jokes about "Utah Democrats still exist?" and "why does it matter, you're going to lose anyway", but I feel this is at least an interesting race and not a re-hash of particularly controversial elections. So I wanted to share it. It appears there's a few factions growing in the Utah Democrats, just as in the national party.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 02:31:43 PM »

It must be pretty hard to be a Democrat in Utah. Trump has opened a door the party can use to surge up, but it has to be done carefully and in a calculated manner.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 03:36:21 PM »

It must be pretty hard to be a Democrat in Utah. Trump has opened a door the party can use to surge up, but it has to be done carefully and in a calculated manner.

It is pretty difficult to be a Democrat in Utah, yeah. I'm hoping that the next Utah Dem chair is able to be more effective than the previous ones. The last truly effective one we had was in 1986, when we doubled our seats in the state house and stopped the super-majority.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 04:07:27 PM »

I have to imagine this will be another place the Sanders folks can take over.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 05:10:10 PM »

Just based on the quotes you shared, Bowman seems the clearly superior choice to me
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 10:56:43 PM »

Albarran sounds like the best ideological leader for Utah. Bowman seems to be best in terms of candidate recruitment and party organization, however.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 11:59:47 PM »

Entirely possible....

Not being from Utah, I don't have a horse in the race, since although Sanders personally is relatively popular in Utah overall and would have made the race quite a bit closer than Clinton in '16, I'm not convinced that his popularity would be transferable to other Democratic candidates running for state and local elections....

In many ways, I suspect that Bernie's Jewish background and personal honesty and integrity, was well received by many Mormon Republican leaning voters looking for an alternative to Trump, whose insulting comments regarding various religious minorities with historical persecution in the United States, as well as more recent religious Minority populations (Muslim-Americans) was not well received.

Additionally, there are certain similarities with core tenants of the Mormon and Jewish tradition, regarding a collective obligation to provide support for those struggling members of not only their respective religious communities, but additionally the larger communities in which we wall live.

Maybe I am 100% off-base there, but it isn't actually that long ago that Mormons tended to provide a significant amount of support for Democratic candidates at various level of political office, not only in Utah, but elsewhere in the United States as well....
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 02:34:45 AM »

I'm surprised Utah still has a democratic party.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 08:25:53 AM »

Zioneer for UDP chair
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 05:01:03 PM »

Well, they weren't even able to knock off one incumbent state legislator (though they did get to nominate their pick for Senate and Governor), so....

Just based on the quotes you shared, Bowman seems the clearly superior choice to me
I'm leaning her way, yeah.

Albarran sounds like the best ideological leader for Utah. Bowman seems to be best in terms of candidate recruitment and party organization, however.
Albarran to me seems like all the other failed UDP chairs.

Barely.

And no.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »

Entirely possible....

Not being from Utah, I don't have a horse in the race, since although Sanders personally is relatively popular in Utah overall and would have made the race quite a bit closer than Clinton in '16, I'm not convinced that his popularity would be transferable to other Democratic candidates running for state and local elections....

In many ways, I suspect that Bernie's Jewish background and personal honesty and integrity, was well received by many Mormon Republican leaning voters looking for an alternative to Trump, whose insulting comments regarding various religious minorities with historical persecution in the United States, as well as more recent religious Minority populations (Muslim-Americans) was not well received.

Additionally, there are certain similarities with core tenants of the Mormon and Jewish tradition, regarding a collective obligation to provide support for those struggling members of not only their respective religious communities, but additionally the larger communities in which we wall live.

Maybe I am 100% off-base there, but it isn't actually that long ago that Mormons tended to provide a significant amount of support for Democratic candidates at various level of political office, not only in Utah, but elsewhere in the United States as well....
Honestly, it was Bernie's perceived integrity and Utah's hate for the Clintons that helped Bernie in Utah. Candidates like him didn't get as much support as he did, he was just a vessel for anti-Clinton anger in Utah.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 07:43:10 PM »

Does the Utah Democratic Party hold its meetings inside a broom closet inside a Mormon church?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 01:53:08 AM »

Does the Utah Democratic Party hold its meetings inside a broom closet inside a Mormon church?
About 1/3 of them wouldn't be caught dead inside an LDS church building, so no.

We hold them at high schools instead. Tongue

Though there's enough Democrats in the state to have our state convention at the gigantic Salt Place in SLC.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 08:59:38 PM »

As long as Salt Lake City is part of Utah there will be a Democratic Party in the state.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 09:37:18 PM »

Though there's enough Democrats in the state to have our state convention at the gigantic Salt Place in SLC.

Is that that goofy Arabian palace-looking abandoned resort building west of town on the lake?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 10:24:07 PM »

Is that that goofy Arabian palace-looking abandoned resort building west of town on the lake?
It's actually the big convention center in the middle of Salt Lake City, about a block or so from LDS Church headquarters.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 05:07:39 PM »

By the way, here's a short article on the current candidates for the seat, and their past political accomplishments.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies