Question About Jury Nullifications
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:31:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Question About Jury Nullifications
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question About Jury Nullifications  (Read 1292 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:56:54 PM »

Can a jury nullification be appealed?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 03:04:40 AM »

No. In the standard jury trial the judge's role is to make findings of law while the jury makes findings of fact. Appeals are the same way; appellate judges can't challenge the jury's findings of fact, only the trial judge's findings of law. The jury is instructed of this division of duties and is expected to obey it. If you find some evidence that a juror intends to nullify before or during their deliberations (IE them admitting to someone else that they plan to do so or they make a pro-nullification statement during the trial) then they can possibly be removed without issue unless they've "poisoned the rest of the jury" with the idea. But after they've reached their verdict? No dice.

Jury nullification can't be appealed for a few reasons. For one, how do you prove that the jury verdict was based on nullification? All the jurors agreed under oath that they were making a verdict based on the facts. No monitoring or recording of jury rooms is allowed. Even if they later say that they chose to nullify, they could be lying for all anyone knows. The other big reason is that it opens the door to the even worse counterpart of jury nullification: judges openly putting their own interpretation of the facts above that of the jury. Nobody really wants a judge picking at a jury's reasoning and substituting their own; it undermines the fundamental right to trial by jury. The faith in juries necessary for the system of trial by jury to work is what created the loophole of irreversible nullification in the first place.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 03:55:28 PM »

Haven't there been enough cases where judges and attorneys thought nullification took place and nothing has happened afterward?  I'm quite sure.  I don't know if there's case law striking down any appeals but I'm sure some attorney(s) have tried to appeal before.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 07:37:15 PM »

My first year law prof in civil procedure was a big believer in jury nullification, and so am I. And there is not a damn thing anybody can do about it. If the law does a grave injustice in a particular instance (e.g., sending a kid to the slammer for 3 years for possessing drugs), you nullify.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies