Do you say Massachusetts "Massa-choo-sits" or "Massa-choo-zits"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:25:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you say Massachusetts "Massa-choo-sits" or "Massa-choo-zits"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Massa-choo-sits

Massa-choo-zits

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Do you say Massachusetts "Massa-choo-sits" or "Massa-choo-zits"?  (Read 1907 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2017, 07:23:58 PM »
« edited: February 24, 2017, 07:29:41 PM by Make Pepe Apolitical Again »

I say Massa-choo-zits and apparently this is fairly unusual. The friend (a linguist) who first pointed out, years ago, that I said it this way theorizes that it may be a Western Mass thing, which I think might have some merit to it considering that it's the pronunciation provided in this video and that my speech does have some other Western Mass shibboleths such as "tag sale" instead of "yard/garage sale" and the General American "water fountain" instead of the Eastern Mass "bubbler". I'm curious if there are people from elsewhere who also say it this way.

I also say houzes, Jozeph, and Jeruzalem.
🕴🏼Melior🕴🏼
Melior
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.17

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 07:26:26 PM »

Option 1
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 07:28:39 PM »

I say "Massa-choo-setts", not really with an "i" (and you barely hear the "e"/"uh"). So no Z.

In Dutch I do say Jozef and Jeruzalem, but still Massachusetts, sorry Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 07:37:22 PM »

I say "Massa-choo-setts", not really with an "i" (and you barely hear the "e"/"uh"). So no Z.

This.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 08:07:22 PM »

President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 08:15:53 PM »

Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 08:23:54 PM »

Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 08:44:53 PM »

Massa-choo-sits, and I say Joseph with an "s," but I generally say houses and Jerusalem with a "z" pronunciation.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 10:01:32 PM »

I say Massa-choo-zits and apparently this is fairly unusual. The friend (a linguist) who first pointed out, years ago, that I said it this way theorizes that it may be a Western Mass thing, which I think might have some merit to it considering that it's the pronunciation provided in this video and that my speech does have some other Western Mass shibboleths such as "tag sale" instead of "yard/garage sale" and the General American "water fountain" instead of the Eastern Mass "bubbler". I'm curious if there are people from elsewhere who also say it this way.

I also say houzes, Jozeph, and Jeruzalem.
Please tell me you don't say greaze instead of the proper grease.  It's a huge pet peeve of mine.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 10:07:04 PM »

with a z, same with houses, Joseph and Jerusalem
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 10:27:38 PM »

You say Al Qudz? Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 10:41:15 PM »

"sits", but I do say "houze" "Jozeph" and "Jeruzalem".
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 10:41:44 PM »

I'm no longer alone in this world!
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 10:49:34 PM »

This, though that is closer to Option 1 so I voted that. I didn't realize how many people say "Massa-choo-zits".
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 01:56:04 AM »

Generally I prefer S for this word, although I do make Z sounds for other names like Joseph and Jerusalem.

However, it's "Massa-choo-sis" or "Massa-choo-ziz" for me.
dax00

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 06:24:13 AM »

Mass-a-chooz-its. So option 2.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 08:06:50 AM »

That's freaking weird of you Nathan. How on earth did you come up with that pronunciation?  I will conduct a little survey myself next time I visit the Mass Birkenstock Belt. We need to get to the bottom of this! Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 09:13:58 AM »

I say Massa-choo-zits and apparently this is fairly unusual.

I should think so.  I lived in Massachusetts for five years and the locals never said anything other than Mass.  Where you from?  Sommavul Mass.  Hingham Mass.  Woostah Mass.  Like that.  That was in the eastern part of the state, though.  maybe it's different out in the Boondocks and Berkshires. 

The voiced sibilant is common enough, though.  I noticed that folks from all parts of New England pronounce Qunicy as Kwinzee.  Joseph and Houses are given the voiced sibilant there also.  I think that might be the case in Old England as well.

I did notice that everyone around Boston calls a water fountain a bubbla and a remote control a clikka.  Gimme dat clikka. 

Anyway, I say Massa Chu Setts.  (unvoiced sibilant.)  Sort of like your first choice but the vowel sound in the last syllable being setts, like it is spelled, not sits.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 09:56:18 AM »

I should think so.  I lived in Massachusetts for five years and the locals never said anything other than Mass.  Where you from?  Sommavul Mass.  Hingham Mass.  Woostah Mass.  Like that.  That was in the eastern part of the state, though.  maybe it's different out in the Boondocks and BerkshiresBuckshuhs. 

The voiced sibilant is common enough, though.  I noticed that folks from all parts of New England pronounce Qunicy as Kwinzee.  Joseph and Houses are given the voiced sibilant there also.  I think that might be the case in Old England as well.

I did notice that everyone around Boston calls a water fountain a bubbla and a remote control a clikka.  Gimme dat clikka. 

Anyway, I say Massa Chu Setts.  (unvoiced sibilant.)  Sort of like your first choice but the vowel sound in the last syllable being setts, like it is spelled, not sits.

FIFY

I lived in Wall-Tham (equal accent on both syllables) for 8 years during grad school. It was my first time out east, and to my Midwestern ears the language of Eastern MA might as well have been from a foreign country. But I learned how to say and spell the state from a recording played on Captain Kangaroo. There's no z.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 10:28:48 AM »

[mę.sʰɑ.t͡ʃʰu.sʰɛtsʰ]
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 02:19:22 PM »

in between:  Mas-sa-choos-zits.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »

Weirdly I pronounced it Massa-choo-sidz until I moved here. Now I mostly pronounce it "Massa-choo-sits."
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 04:02:39 PM »

I should think so.  I lived in Massachusetts for five years and the locals never said anything other than Mass.  Where you from?  Sommavul Mass.  Hingham Mass.  Woostah Mass.  Like that.  That was in the eastern part of the state, though.  maybe it's different out in the Boondocks and BerkshiresBuckshuhs. 

FIFY

I lived in Wall-Tham (equal accent on both syllables) for 8 years during grad school. It was my first time out east, and to my Midwestern ears the language of Eastern MA might as well have been from a foreign country. But I learned how to say and spell the state from a recording played on Captain Kangaroo. There's no z.

Until yesterday, I thought Berkshires were pronounced "burk-shyres" or at least "burk-shures", but this guy says "burk-sheers".
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 04:25:37 PM »

FIFY

Until yesterday, I thought Berkshires were pronounced "burk-shyres" or at least "burk-shures", but this guy says "burk-sheers".

The second way is how I pronounce it, and I think it's how most locals pronounce it.

Other weird Massachusetts pronunciations: Charlemont is pronounced "Tcharlemont," and the first syllable in "Monroe" is stressed.

Also I don't think both syllables of Waltham are equally stressed; it's just that last syllable is pronounced like "am" rather than "um."
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 07:55:57 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2017, 06:31:29 PM by angus »

Muon's right about Waltham.  I'd always assumed it was Walt (as in Walt Disney) and "am" as in birmingham (as in the video Al posted, not in the city of MLK, Jr's experiences).  Walt (stress on Walt) followed by a barely audible "am"  You'd think that might be the case.  Hingham, MA is pronounced like that (Hing, as in Hing 'em High, which is what a friend of mine from Hingham called his high school) followed by a barely audible "am".  Almost, HINGmm"  So WALTmm made sense.  (It still makes sense to me internally.)  Walt is part of one syllable.  Ham is part of another.  There's no reason to do the theta thing, because the T followed by the H is incidental, not etymological.  Still, the locals there pronounce it as though it is.  There's a definite TH, as in theta or theological or catharsis.  Maybe it's just cathartic for them, although there's really not an etymologically correct reason that folks should pronounce it that way.  It should, technically, just be WALTmm.  Kinda like a remote should just be a remote, not a clikka.

If it's any consolation, massholes aren't the only ones who do this.  I live in Lancaster PA.  (Note, people from PA say PA.  Not like an acronym as in "mah and pah kettle."  They actually always say PA, as in PA system.  Where you from?  Sranton PA.  Erie PA.  Like that.)  People from Lancaster County invariably break the syllable between the C and the A, as in Laenk ister, unlike everyone else in the known universe.  There's a Lancaster in California, a Lancaster in Texas, and a Lancaster in England.  Probably in lots of other places as well.  They all speak differently in those places, but one thing they have in common is that they break the syllables between the N and the C.  Lan  Caster.  Not so in Laenk  ister  Pee Ayy.  Here, they always break it between the C and the A.  As weird as massholes talk, and they do talk weirdly, the Lancaster people talk pretty weirdly too.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies