Will Ohio flip if Coal Ind/ Manufacturing doesn't improve under Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:07:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Will Ohio flip if Coal Ind/ Manufacturing doesn't improve under Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Ohio flip if Coal Ind/ Manufacturing doesn't improve under Trump?  (Read 854 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2017, 07:33:40 PM »

If Trump isn't able to bring back Coal industry... and manufacturing in many towns does not return... Will Ohio flip back to Dems?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 07:48:28 PM »

Most likely
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 08:49:39 PM »

It might. I definitely think it's going to be more elastic going forward than Iowa, the other swing state to go hard R last year.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »

Depends on what the Democrats have to offer.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:08:21 PM »

Depends on what the Democrats have to offer.

This, and how strong the economy is in general.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 03:06:30 AM »

Economic concerns can be prioritized over cultural concerns, and vice versa. It is possible to care about both, and to have to decide to prioritize one over the other. This prioritization is the sort of thing that can be reassessed if circumstances change.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 09:24:38 AM »

I don't think so.  I don't think it's trending R because of jobs.  I think it's culturally a Republican state.

There was some article from a tech company exec who went to middle America and interviewed people anonymously on why they voted for Trump and found that it was surprisingly not because of job related reasons.  Even those who said building the wall was a huge factor commonly said it was not for economic reasons but to "preserve U.S. culture." 

That said, Ohio wasn't a blowout, so it possibly could help at the margins, but I don't see it flipping over this issue alone.
^This is what I fear if this is a racism/"whitelash" issue then we are screwed because the dems can't/shouldn't relate to that
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 09:34:32 AM »

I don't think so.  I don't think it's trending R because of jobs.  I think it's culturally a Republican state.

There was some article from a tech company exec who went to middle America and interviewed people anonymously on why they voted for Trump and found that it was surprisingly not because of job related reasons.  Even those who said building the wall was a huge factor commonly said it was not for economic reasons but to "preserve U.S. culture." 

That said, Ohio wasn't a blowout, so it possibly could help at the margins, but I don't see it flipping over this issue alone.
^This is what I fear if this is a racism/"whitelash" issue then we are screwed because the dems can't/shouldn't relate to that

Yeah. At that point, it is best to wait until we can win without that.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 10:55:05 AM »

Ohio might flip. If Sherrod Brown or Elizabeth Warren is the nominee, maybe. Ohio is somewhat trending Republican, like how Virginia is trending Democratic, but not in a way that could make it as a Likely R.

Brown or Warren could win Ohio over Trump.
Rjjr77
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 11:26:57 AM »

Racism/whitelash? From a large chunk of voters who voted for Obama twice?

1. Stop looking at anecdotal stuff
2. Everything I've seen in Ohio is economy, folks who feel like the economy may have improved under Obama but it didn't get better in their town
3. It was a blow out in Ohio, largest margin of victory since 1988
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »

Yes, even in 2018, I put it on the competetive list, Sherrod Brown needs to run the margins up and a top caliber candidate can win again the governorship.

Dems only lost Ohio because of Rob Portman
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 02:44:34 PM »

Racism/whitelash? From a large chunk of voters who voted for Obama twice?

1. Stop looking at anecdotal stuff
2. Everything I've seen in Ohio is economy, folks who feel like the economy may have improved under Obama but it didn't get better in their town
3. It was a blow out in Ohio, largest margin of victory since 1988

Believe it or not, it could actually be easier for a somewhat racist white guy to vote for a black president than to vote for a candidate who encourages them to ask deep, introspective, and uncomfortable questions of themselves.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 03:06:37 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2017, 03:10:19 PM by Eharding »

Wouldn't it be more logical that a rich college-educated White suburbanite in Atlanta who voted for Romney three times (twice in primaries, once in the general) and viewed Barry O with disgust and switched to Hillary be more racist than a low-middle-income farmer in rural Wisconsin who consistently voted Democrat since Dukakis, had zero desire to vote for either Romney or McCain, voted Obama in the 2008 primary, and switched to Trump because he didn't feel Hillary 2016 cared about people like him?

Yes, Hillary Clinton ran a surprisingly anti-White and anti-American-citizen campaign. It was very stupid of Her. However, it's pretty clear that outright racism as a motivation for voting is very rare, heavily concentrated in the Deep South (see the 1964 election), and has been solidly identified with the GOP since Reagan (see Greenberg on the Reagan Democrats).

Also, Ohio is not a coal state. Think 2012. It's an industrial state with far fewer extreme social conservatives than Indiana.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 05:13:16 PM »

Unlikely. The swing in that area to Trump was because he ran as a white nationalist, not due to economic issues.

The "BUT THEY VOTED OBAMA TWICE!1!" is a dumb cop-out. McCain and Romney were not running campaigns explicitly centered on white racial backlash. Trump was.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 05:15:12 PM »

Unlikely. The swing in that area to Trump was because he ran as a white nationalist, not due to economic issues.

-I know you're a troll, but this is low even for you.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/189731/economic-issues-trump-strong-suit-among-republicans.aspx
RedVA
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 05:16:29 PM »

WV is the coal state, and they are conservatives that will not adapt to the modern democratic party. (Unless a democrat is actually decent)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 05:17:15 PM »

-I know you're a troll, but this is low even for you.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/189731/economic-issues-trump-strong-suit-among-republicans.aspx

"You're wrong. Here's a link to an irrelevant Gallup poll." Huh
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 05:18:18 PM »

It'll flip before TX ever does.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length