Describe a Hillary-Romney-McCain-Kerry-Gore-Dole-Bush voter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:16:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a Hillary-Romney-McCain-Kerry-Gore-Dole-Bush voter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Describe a Hillary-Romney-McCain-Kerry-Gore-Dole-Bush voter  (Read 9367 times)
🕴🏼Melior🕴🏼
Melior
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »

Describe a voter who has voted against the winner every election.

And you can't say "a contrarian who votes against the winner every election in order to not appear too mainstream" because Hillary was perceived as the probable winner before the election, so this person would've voted for Donald Trump if this were case.

Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 12:28:53 PM »

A moderate Republican who was anti-Bush in 2000 and 2004. Propably voted for Kasich in the primaries.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 12:52:11 PM »

Hmm, my first instinct would a #NeverTump Republican that also opposed the War in Iraq, but that doesn't explain the Gore vote. Actually, I wonder how many places had both a Dole-Gore swing and a Kerry-McCain swing, I can't imagine it's very many...
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 12:55:14 PM »

Moderate anti war never trump republican who believed that gore would continue the boom of the 1990s
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 01:40:18 PM »

There were no McCain/Kerry/Dole voters. Prove me wrong!
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 02:12:24 PM »

The irony is that W. Bush and Trump are probably the most objectionable Republicans during this time.
uti2

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 02:20:26 PM »

It's interesting, because Bush in 2000 actually ran on a less hawkish platform than Al Gore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9SOVzMV2bc
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 09:00:46 PM »

I wouldn't go that far, but they are certainly very much a statistical rarity. It's not too hard to picture a person doing any of these individual swings, but all of them in the same person is another story...
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 09:21:52 PM »

What about someone in Massachusetts who usually votes Republican but wanted to support the nominee who was from his home state? There were four counties in Massachusetts that swung Republican in 2008.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 10:09:11 PM »

Someone who always votes for veterans, but didn't like GWB?
Eharding

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 12:05:43 AM »

What about someone in Massachusetts who usually votes Republican but wanted to support the nominee who was from his home state? There were four counties in Massachusetts that swung Republican in 2008.

-Dole got a much smaller percentage in 1996 than Bush04 did. The counties in Western Massachusetts that swung to McCain also swung to Bush04 as well.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 01:28:55 AM »

There were actually three towns in Massachusetts that voted Gore/Kerry/McCain/Romney/Clinton. The Dole/Bush part is tough, though.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 02:36:46 AM »

This actually sounds a lot like from friend Wes, who grew up, went to college and worked in Massachusetts before moving out to Oregon in the mid 1990s.

He was not a big fan of the DLC wing of the Democratic Party and Bill Clinton's support for Free Trade agreements (NAFTA), as a socially Liberal individual George W. turned him off with the excessive pandering to the evangelicals. He liked Gore on the labor & environmental position regarding free trade, plus as a techie he liked some of Gore's ideas on the tech sector, although I think he voted Nader in 2000 (Will need to ask him).

He thought the Iraq war was a huge folly, plus Kerry was from Mass.....

He was a bit torn in '08, because although personally he liked Obama, he also has a lot of respect of McCain for his "Maverick" brand, military background and experience (My friends Uncle died in 'Nam), and general rejection of the extremist religious agenda of the cultural warrior style Republicans.

2012, he liked and respected Romney, because of his Gubernatorial record in Mass, as well Obama.... I was living in NorCal at the time, so can't state definitively that he voted Romney, but suspect that was likely the case.

In 2016, he almost definitely did not vote Clinton in the GE, and although he disliked and despised much of Trump's style and substance, did support the more economic protectionist Trump messages (Minus the whole anti-immigrant Latino thing, Muslim bans and all that crap).... He was a strong Bernie backer in the primaries..... My suspicion is that he likely wrote-in Bernie rather than voting for either Trump or Clinton.

AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 02:39:10 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2017, 04:11:46 PM by AGA »

-Dole got a much smaller percentage in 1996 than Bush04 did. The counties in Western Massachusetts that swung to McCain also swung to Bush04 as well.

Out of the tens of millions of people who voted in 1996, 2004, and 2008, you're saying that not one of them was a Dole/Kerry/McCain voter? Couldn't it just be a Republican who didn't like Bush?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 03:23:44 PM »

an anti iraq-war center of the road classical republican, focusing on fiscal policy.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 10:58:58 PM »

A hawkish, environmentalist, classical liberal. George W. is far too populist on welfare and economics with "compassionate conservatism". Trump's populism and anti-free trade turns this guy off.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 12:09:39 AM »

Hmm, my first instinct would a #NeverTump Republican that also opposed the War in Iraq, but that doesn't explain the Gore vote. Actually, I wonder how many places had both a Dole-Gore swing and a Kerry-McCain swing, I can't imagine it's very many...

I can only find two counties - Russell, KS (Dole's home county) and Smith, TN (Gore's home county).

Not really 'Western' Massachusetts.

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 12:23:05 PM »

I can only find two counties - Russell, KS (Dole's home county) and Smith, TN (Gore's home county).

Makes sense, though I doubt either of them also has a Romney-Hillary swing. Tongue
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 01:14:20 PM »

A moderate Republican who had the basic decency to be repulsed at Donald Trump and who thought Iraq was a disaster in '04. Basically my aunt from Chagrin Falls, Ohio.
Eharding

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 01:29:06 PM »

A moderate Republican who had the basic decency to be repulsed at Donald Trump and who thought Iraq was a disaster in '04. Basically my aunt from Chagrin Falls, Ohio.

-But why the vote for Gore, then?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 02:04:41 PM »

She liked Clinton enough to vote Gore.
Eharding

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 02:17:54 PM »

She liked Clinton enough to vote Gore.

-But then why the Dole vote?
🕴🏼Melior🕴🏼
Melior
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2017, 07:59:34 PM »

How about a self-identified "intellectual" who typically votes Republican but was turned off Bush and Trump's "anti-intellectual" behavior.
🕴🏼Melior🕴🏼
Melior
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017, 08:00:31 PM »

I wonder how it feels like voting for the loser every election lol.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 10:35:46 PM »

I voted Dukakis, Bush41, Dole, Bush 43 (who lost the popular vote). Then I stayed away from the voting booth the next 3 elections. Then I voted for McMullin.
I had more enjoyment the times I did not vote.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies