Is this the dumbest whataboutery deflection ever?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:09:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is this the dumbest whataboutery deflection ever?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is this the dumbest whataboutery deflection ever?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Is this the dumbest whataboutery deflection ever?  (Read 445 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:27:01 AM »

I saw it on the comments to John Oliver's anti-Putin piece. At one point he showed a clip from Russian state TV with a guy preaching horrible anti-gay hate speech.

Comment: *blah blah lots of stuff about how the US isn't any better than Russia*...there's lots of people preaching anti-gay stuff on US TV too! They're called televangelists, and often even dressed like that guy.

That's the sort of thing that makes you wish you could reach through the computer and strangle the moron saying it.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:59:06 AM »

Yeah, I generally find those "The US is just as bad!" argument very annoying, especially when the subject is something like gay rights and the comparison is someplace like the the Middle East.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:48:52 PM »

Look harder.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:05:54 PM »

Yeah, I generally find those "The US is just as bad!" argument very annoying, especially when the subject is something like gay rights and the comparison is someplace like the the Middle East.

Or when people say "Saudi Arabia is worse!" when arguing about Russia. Which is true, but the point is they're both awful.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 02:07:12 PM »

Or when people say "Saudi Arabia is worse!" when arguing about Russia. Which is true, but the point is they're both awful.
^^^
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 02:22:08 PM »

-No.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 02:40:20 PM »

But guys the west is morally superior, stop whining, Saudi Arabia exists you know!
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 06:33:16 PM »

Reminds me of the "but they lynch negroes in America" argument that was so common among Soviet sympathizers.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 07:00:08 PM »

-No.

On LGBT rights, yes.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »

I don't know, but Russia.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 10:16:57 PM »

Hilariously I actually do remember some people trying to argue after Russia passed that "gay propaganda" law that the US was just as bad on gay rights, for reasons like that at the time gay marriage wasn't legal in every state, or because some anti-gay hate crimes still took place in the US, or something about American evangelicals in countries like Uganda, because of course the actions of a few churches and pastors in foreign countries is definitely comparable to actual government policy. And of course Uganda was a very gay-friendly place before American evangelical leaders started developing interests in it, obviously.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies