Over 70% of young people view NAFTA as good for the U.S.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:30:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Over 70% of young people view NAFTA as good for the U.S.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Over 70% of young people view NAFTA as good for the U.S.  (Read 1565 times)
Cashew
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 10:14:36 PM »

Ugh. And this is the "resistance" base? LOL. The left is hopeless.

This is the biggest reason why they lost in 2016; completely out of touch with the concerns of the working class in the Midwest. Haven't learned a thing from that.

Personally all the blue collar working class people can go pound sand. Give them the black treatment, tell them they're lazy and entitled for thinking the government should bring their jobs back. Tell them to get an education and work harder and that the government owes them nothing. Then watching the RAGE and HOWLING that would come out of what they tell another poor and struggling community to do.
Nonsense. Black Rustbelt workers have been severely affected by outsourcing -perhaps even more so than whites.

But the Solution is not to tear up every single Trade deal we ever had ? Globalization will happen ! But we could offer Retraining Programs or a Universal Basic Income.
I know you can't recreate the past. What I object to is those who want to accelerate this process rather than curtail it as much as possible.

That reminds me. Have you read TD's Political Timeline ?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=251989.0

It's so right !

I would mistake you as his sock if I had not looked at your past post history.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 10:22:13 PM »

Then why did young voters support an anti-free trade candidate in the Democratic primary.

Not to worry, It's probably just knee jerk opposition to whatever they associate with Trump, much like how Republican support for universal healthcare and Cap and Trade collapsed after Obama was inaugurated.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »

Honestly surprising, though perhaps this is selection bias since I'm from Michigan.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2017, 10:35:57 PM »

Then why did young voters support an anti-free trade candidate in the Democratic primary.

Debt free college, universal healthcare, and a 15 dollar minimum wage were probably much more important to them than trade policy.

Also tone and feel of the sanders campaign.

Yeah, I think that for better and for worse, young people today are very impatient. That's great when it comes to advancing civil rights and promoting innovation, but it doesn't lend itself well to things that require sustained effort over a long period of time, for example, rebuilding the Democratic Party. Sanders spoke to this impatience very well, and I think it's a prime reason why he did so well among young people, even more than any particular policy.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2017, 11:28:56 PM »

Young people have almost universally the best political views in this country.

Ron Paul>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mitt Romney. Bernie Sanders>>>>>>>>>>>>Hillary Clinton.

However, Brexit's also cool, and young people didn't support that for some reason.

Ron Paul is clearly insane, and Brexit wasn't "cool", it was supported by the blue collar whites and old people who thought they would have it better that way but are just ignorant about what will happen.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2017, 01:22:08 AM »

I think it's because their Jobs..... don't need Free Trade or Fair Trade arguments. Doctors, Lawyers, Computer Scientists.....

Most of the Jobs leaking away are Blue Collar Jobs.

Actually, as far as Law and Computer Science are concerned, to a large extent those are easy to offshore.  A computer programmer can be based anywhere.  Only the small proportion of legal work actually done in the courtroom needs a lawyer in this country to do the work.  For that matter, were it not for licensing difficulties, telemedicine could make many medical jobs here offshorable as well. (And even improve access in rural areas.)  The idea that only blue collar jobs are exportable is a myth.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2017, 01:33:56 AM »

I think it's because their Jobs..... don't need Free Trade or Fair Trade arguments. Doctors, Lawyers, Computer Scientists.....

Most of the Jobs leaking away are Blue Collar Jobs.

Actually, as far as Law and Computer Science are concerned, to a large extent those are easy to offshore.  A computer programmer can be based anywhere.  Only the small proportion of legal work actually done in the courtroom needs a lawyer in this country to do the work.  For that matter, were it not for licensing difficulties, telemedicine could make many medical jobs here offshorable as well. (And even improve access in rural areas.)  The idea that only blue collar jobs are exportable is a myth.

If you count call center as white collar, then I have no doubt that most jobs being offshored are white collar.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2017, 03:17:43 AM »

Not to worry, It's probably just knee jerk opposition to whatever they associate with Trump, much like how Republican support for universal healthcare and Cap and Trade collapsed after Obama was inaugurated.

I think Cashew is hitting this nail pretty squarely on the head here....

Most Millennials never really heard too much about NAFTA, unless it was their parents complaining about it when they were kids....

Trump starts using it as a campaign prop as part of building a "compare and contrast" argument with Clinton to appeal to Middle-Aged and Older voters that saw the immediate impact, as well as bagging a bunch of Perot '92 voters, "Rust Belt" WWC voters, Trade Union members, etc that saw all of the negative impacts and none of the positive impacts. This was part of a deliberate strategy to expand his attacks towards her promotion of TPP.

Additionally, with an increasing share of younger voters from Mexican-American backgrounds there is a slightly different perspective, since for those with family and relatives South of the Border, it did help benefit both of the growth of a Mexican Middle-Class in the border towns, as well as communities directly North of the border....

It was really MFN status with China where things started to go dramatically South for both Mexican manufacturing and American Manufacturing, only a few years after NAFTA was signed into law...

Obviously today there is really no major sense nor reason to "renegotiate NAFTA liked our esteemed President appeared to suggest. Many of the jobs initially outsourced to Mexico by MNCs trying to make a cheap buck, have now long since disappeared from Mexico and reappeared in various counties in East and Southeast Asia.

Further, it was completely idiotic to not include a expanded migration of labor program as part of NAFTA, and Trump massive deportation raids will hit squarely at the US agricultural sector, where we have been suffering a massive and chronic shortage of labor for decades.... if there is any renegotiation of NAFTA it should include a dramatic increase in foreign nationals working in low-wage sectors of the economy where there is a dramatic shortage of labor.

SCNCmod

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2017, 09:09:55 AM »

Considering 86% of manufacturing job losses are the result of technology... and jobs gained from Nafta outweigh the small number of jobs lost as a result.  So young people have it right IMO (of course that's not to say that some trade agreement can't benefit from a few tweaks).
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »

I think this is not too surprsing. The younger generation has grown up in a far more gloablized and interconnected world so the nationalist rhetoric of old (at least for now) appears to be falling on deaf ears.

Probably the same reason why young voters overwhelmingly wanted to stay in the EU during Brexit.
kyc0705

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2017, 09:54:54 AM »
« Edited: February 26, 2017, 10:52:27 AM by kyc0705 »

I am one of those young people. NAFTA is (generally) good. Globalization is (generally) beneficial. Brexit was (generally) bad. Then again, I’ve grown up in an upper-middle class household in a white collar suburb, so I’ve never really been exposed to how free trade policies are affecting the kinds of areas that Trump won. My perspective and approach is admittedly limited.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2017, 10:13:15 AM »

This from the latest NBC/WSJ poll is also interesting:

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies